Cherry Keeper - Year Two

Discussion in 'Cherry Keeper' started by JosieLynn Jewell, Sep 30, 2020.

1. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    7:34 AM
    Writing the "A Year of Cherry Keeper" update seemed like it was both yesterday, and an eternity ago. I announced Cherry Keeper at the start of Locktober, 2018 with about five rings and five cages plus a few older models. As of today, I have sold items from 411 unique listings in my shop and a total of 582 different models. When you're just working on something day after day, I guess you don't really see the sum of everything so easily.

One thing that has not changed in the last year is that the amount of work could be never-ending. I want to say a big "Thank You for understanding" to those who have wanted me to create their dream custom design in the past two months. 2020 has had its share of challenges, not the least of which is maintaining a good work-life balance. With a house full of family that needs my time, a job that has been in overdrive since April, and a side business where I prided myself on getting questions answered and designs turned around quickly, my work-life balance was far too skewed toward work. I had so many designs in the queue and so many people at various points in the process that I had to close off that avenue for a period of time and take a breather. Custom sized designs will be back on the menu, but not just yet - this year has one last hurdle I need to overcome later this month before I can evaluate opening it back up.

This year, again, Shapeways has been clutch in delivering the goods. They have continued to excel at getting the orders in, printed and shipped. There were some hiccups with their metal castings due to shutdowns in April, but that's a very small percentage of my products. I don't see how I could keep doing this without them. Of course, there some things I wish were better or easier with the Shapeways marketplace, but it allows me to offer a wide variety of designs at a reasonable price in the amount of time I have to do it, so it's still a good fit for me.

2020 has been a year that has had a big uptick in sales, and with the big diversification in numbers of products, tallying up all the numbers was a daunting task. With all the various deisgns and options available, the numbers show that I've sold over 5,500 cages and 6,500 rings in the past 12 months - these numbers are about four times higher than the previous twelve months. I love that people are starting to really take notice and I'm seeing people recommend my products in ever-increasing numbers. Last year I wrote that this could not replace my primary source of income - this year I really can't say that, because maybe it could happen?

I'm looking forward to seeing what the next year holds, and hope to still be here. I'd love to hear feedback from the community on what they like, what they don't like, and what could be better - I am always interested in being better than I was yesterday.

Love,
    JosieLynn

2. Sexy Slave 69

Sexy Slave 69 Long term member

Manager
    New Zealand
    Local Time:
    12:34 AM
    You do absolutely amazing work. I adore my cages, thank you JosieLynn

3. Billy J

Billy J Long term member

Virginia USA
    Local Time:
    Congrats on the great progress, I am looking forward to be a customer in the future.

4. Ransom

Ransom Active member

US
    Local Time:
    I absolutely love mine. Shapeways was quick and they’re tracking was phenomenal. Nothing but compliments to what your doing!!!

5. Steel-caged

Steel-caged Member

NJ & Florida
    Local Time:
    Just received my Cherry Keeper with headlock. It goes on tomorrow, Locktober 1.

6. LockedPom

LockedPom Long term member

Australia
    Local Time:
    9:34 PM
    Thanks for all of your hard work in designing such a fantastic product, and accessible pricing too. Shapeways usually beat their production targets, but their UPS shipping could be better for international stuff - at least it arrives eventually! Looking forwards to you being able to do custom designs again - I would love one of those spiky cages in standard size!

7. Tasslave

Tasslave Active member

Local Time:
    12:34 PM
    U Are great! If your cages may come in alluminium or titanium would be perfect

8. zebra

zebra Member

USA- California
    Local Time:
    4:34 AM
    I have purchased 4 cages and 4 rings over the last 2 years - I think the 4 th is working out well now

9. Guest 2946

Guest 2946 New member

Local Time:
    My CherryKeeper is awesome! Your work is fantastic. Thank you!

ResponsiblePirate likes this.
  10. ResponsiblePirate

Trades.
    United States, Midwest Region.
    Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    I always love hearing how someone’s hard work paid off. You truly deserve all the success you are seeing with your products. The cages are truly great, priced fairly and you seem to answer any questions rather quickly and honestly. When my kh and I started our journey it was very hard to figure out what worked and what did not. There are a lot of makers out there with zero customer relations. Good luck and hope to see a steel cage in the future.

LockedPom likes this.
  11. FeetMaam

FeetMaam New member

Winter in Florida, summer in Europe
    Local Time:
    1:34 PM
    I’m very interested in buying one for NO-ember, but struggling to find a slightly longer design with the “headlock”

cumplexity and slave_m like this.
  12. Lazlo Toth

Lazlo Toth C/D on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale: 9/9

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    Please accept my best congratulations on a job well done. It's rare when a person's passion not only turns out well for themselves, but when it helps MANKIND, it's a true blessing.

Just think: you have helped thousands to be chaste for themselves and their partners. We can only ponder the amount society has improved as a result.

Good on you!

ResponsiblePirate and LockedPom like this.
  13. Lakeman

Lakeman Long term member

Australia
    Local Time:
    10:34 PM
    That is amazing and fascinating, I would never have guessed you’d sold that many! You would have to be the biggest volume custom maker in the market with those numbers, hats off to you after only two years. I have one of yours, by far the best non metal device I’ve seen, and I’ve got a draw full of chastity cages!

LockedPom likes this.
  14. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    That's not something I'd ever really thought about or considered. It's a small volume by comparison to any of the manufactured devices for sure. I honestly have no idea how many devices any other makers produce in a year, so maybe? One great year is really just what I hope to be a great start at something that can be around for a long time.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  15. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    ......and I am wearing mine now......

16. Guest 2684

Guest 2684 Long term member

Local Time:
    You make an amazing product love my headlock wearing it currently 24/7 would not trade it for the world.
    CONGRATULATIONS again

17. redbottomboy

Michigan
    Local Time:
    Congratulations on the great work and dedication to your customer. I have no doubt that your success is due to your focus on the needs of your customer.

Lazlo Toth likes this.
  18. Guest 3972

Guest 3972 Long term member

Local Time:
    11:34 AM
    Congratulations there some big numbers there well done.
    I'm still interested but just the wrong time just now.

19. Lakeman

Lakeman Long term member

Australia
    Local Time:
    10:34 PM
    The metal custom makers do a lot of handmade time consuming work limiting their volume. My guess is Mature Metal, MCN, Lori, Steelworxx could only turn out say less than 20 a month, if my understanding of these not being scale businesses is right.

The 3D printing /plastics/ synthetics makers like yourself and Evotions, Custom Chastity have a very different process than can be scaled much more.

The more off the shelf producers like CB and Holy Trainer are a different proposition with fewer custom options, a model that is easier to scale for volume.

Or I could be talking complete rubbish...

20. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    I don't think your thinking is wrong - I wouldn't underestimate how many jailbirds MM can finish in a day, but your point is quite valid. Machines' don't need to be expert craftsmen to print my design, and can scale up with volume.

On the other side, molds for each offered size are "expensive" and a large volume needs to be sold to offer that size/design to pay for the up front cost, which is why they're offered in only a few sizes.

It's unlikely that Evotions or Custom Chastity would say how many they sell in a year, but their price point, even for their non custom designs is quite a bit higher, so they may not be as "accessible". @kink3d might tell me if I ask nicely - he's got a slightly different sales model and you can get his designs at a store pre-packaged too.

LockedPom and Guest 3972 like this.
  21. Guest 2931

Guest 2931 Member

Local Time:
    This is so amazing to hear! I’m so happy for your success. I’ve had a fantastic time wearing your devices and I love your work. Thank you for making so many locked folks happy

22. Satyrious

Satyrious New member

Local Time:
    Out of curiosity, why is stainless steel 316L not an option for your designs? Shapeways states that it is skin safe. Is it just not precise enough for the level of intricacy in the design?

If it is possible to do, it would be the best way to have a custom metal cage. Get the fit right with a few plastic cages and then finalize it with metal.

23. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    They don't offer it as an option for stores in their marketplace (the new offering of 316L) - When I tried their steel offering before and Sculpteo's 316L offering (I believe the same process Shapeways uses), neither came out usable due to them being inaccurately sized.

Also, of note - the metal ones, even when sized right fit different because the Nylon has some flex and give to it where the steel does not. This is really noticeable with the ball gap as the Nylon can flex several millimeters.

24. Lazlo Toth

Contractor
    Upstate South Carolina
    Local Time:
    AND the nylon texture vs smooth steel matters as well. I’m stunned at how the texture of nylon enters into the dynamic of fit.

It’s seems intuitive that plastic can be the prototype, but there are a lot of subtleties that render material choice not such an easy one.

.....as I write this in my pretty pink Cherry Keeper....

Guest 3972 and JosieLynn Jewell like this.
  25. vanelocked

vanelocked Member

Local Time:
    6:34 PM
    Hi guys,
    I see many of you enjoy these devices. May any of you mentor me for the right choice amongst all thede styles and models? Thank you for your help!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice