Best printer for chastity cages?

Discussion in '3D printing files' started by Northy, Aug 25, 2021.

1. Northy

Northy DatKittehBoy

Massachusetts Usa
    Local Time:
    5:39 PM
    I'm new to the 3D printing world but I was wondering from the people with experience which printer is the best to get for printing longer term chastity cages. I wanna get my own 3D printer so I can make adjustments as I see fit and to also print small trinkets like miniatures etc. I saw the ender 3 pro is 99$ in store at microcenter right now but people are saying it requires a ton of custom upgrades. I wouldn't mind spending 200-300$ for a quality one but I want it for chastity and I don'tknow what to look for in a printer or the first thing about them.

I'm probably gonna print some sizing rings. Advice/links on what grit sandpaper or materials to get would be appreciated as well because I don't know what material to use for cages and possibly for insertables.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. SubSnuggler

SubSnuggler Owned by Mistress2and4you

USA
    Local Time:
    4:39 PM
    If you want an out-of-the-box working experience you gotta go Prusa Mk3s. By the time you quit messing with an Ender 3 you would have spent less just getting the Prusa (I've got both)

By the way, for what you are printing the Prusa Mini is fine, same as Mk3 just smaller bed, and it puts it more in your desired budget for hardware-

bitstripped and SergioUK like this.
  3. Northy

Northy DatKittehBoy

Massachusetts Usa
    Local Time:
    Prusa Mini looks nice. I'm not afraid to put a little work in but from what I've read on reddit the Ender 3 requires a lot of work and addons. I might save for a Prusa mini. What statistics should I look for with these things in mind? what printing resolution would you recommend? What material should I use?

4. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    I disagree. Prusa are the high end standard. But if you expect to just open the box and start printing you’re going to be very disappointed. There is a lot to learn about 3D printing, and it takes time, patience and a will to learn.

$99 for an Ender 3 Pro is a deal. And they’re nice printers. Yes replacing the crappy bed springs and the plastic extruder parts are important upgrades, but they’re not that expensive. And once you get the Ender running right it’ll work well.

IMHO it’s more important to learn the basics, then learn some intermediate skills than it is to get a high end printer. Don’t get me wrong. If someone gave me a Prusa I’d take it and use it. But I’m also willing to bet a dialed in Ender used by someone who knows what their doing is going to give better prints than a newbie with a Prusa.

Jessica Alexander and Lazlo Toth like this.
  5. tomf_22033

VA USA
    Local Time:
    Btw I just checked Microcenters web site and can’t find a 3 Pro for $99, I see one for $199 which is an ok deal. If the $99 deal is still good please point me to it as I could use another printer.

6. Jessica Alexander

Jessica Alexander Trans woman not a mistress or Dom

Houston
    Local Time:
    9:39 PM
    Most hobby printers are not going to be able to print the right kind of plastic that you need for chastity because most of those plastics are porous, brittle and absorb moisture. Nylon is the best plastic to print with but also needs higher temp for printing as well as a heated enclosure. Would be fine for prototyping but not for wearing for very long.

I have a heavily upgraded Ender 5 with silent boards, MicroSwiss all metal hotend with direct drive and print a lot of stuff. At a MINIMUM, I would use PETG but you are still going to have a lot of post processing to get it smooth enough and even then it may not be smooth enough (delicate areas you are covering).

Without spending a fortune, you may be better off trying the resin printers that basically print upside down in a vat of resin. They give the highest resolution for any print and are great for small things. I'd research the skin sensitivity of the resin products though because the raw resin can cause serious problems on skin and it's recommended to wear a respirator and gloves when handling the uncured resin. May be fine though.

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  7. CabanaJack

CabanaJack Long term member

Retired
    USA, Denver CO
    Local Time:
    3:39 PM
    I agree with this. I used our 3D printer only to print some cock rings for early and temporary experimentation with sizing. I wouldn't use our printer for something I'd be trying to wear on a long term basis.

8. SubSnuggler

SubSnuggler Owned by Mistress2and4you

USA
    Local Time:
    Just print with abs and expose to acetone for a little while, or PETG and a Dremel with a sanding disc. Both of which are going to be a pain in the ass to print on an Ender with it's shit bed plate and heat

bitstripped likes this.
  9. Jessica Alexander

Houston
    Local Time:
    ABS is not for beginners. It likes a warm, arid enclosed area that isn’t drafty but puts off smelly and toxic fumes. You can coat any of the printed items in 3d resin and expose to a UV light for a nice and smooth finish.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  10. art4bux

art4bux Active member

carpenter, machinist, welder
    new york city
    Local Time:
    IME, I would avoid Creality and the ender series like the plague/COVIDvirus. Calling their customer service nonexistent is only a slight exaggeration. In fact that entire department seems dedicated to obstruction, running out the clock on warranty, having purchasers throw up their hands in frustration and give up. (As I did after 5 MONTHS of emails back and forth,; requesting photos repeatedly, I finally bought an MKS mobo and whaddaya know, it worked ! Best $35 I've spent in a while)

If you MUST buy an Ender, get it from a relatively reputable vendor who will back you up (e.g., Amazon)
    DO NOT buy direct from Mfr. !!

11. Jessica Alexander

Houston
    Local Time:
    While true, it's a very common printer with a huge network of available information online. There is a great Facebook group that is very helpful at troubleshooting any issues. Many upgrade their motherboards or buy the quiet boards and there are tons of 3rd party upgrades you can do. The all metal direct drive upgrade from MicroSwiss is only $100 and worth every penny. I'd also get a flexible PEI coated plate ASAP.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  12. tomf_22033

VA USA
    Local Time:
    I wonder if the Ender haters have even used one. Or are they people who expected it to work right out of the box.

I did my homework before buying mine and knew what to expect. Imho it’s not unreasonable to expect a sub $200 printer to not need some adjustments before you get it working right. Worse anyone who thinks you can just pull it out of the box and print anything is sadly mistaken.

3D printing has a learning curve. And I suspect many beginners do t understand that. Those that go to the FB and other community sites are able to get help and learn an awful lot.

Personally I think the Ender printers are a good value. Just know what to expect and be willing to put some time in to get them dialed in right. So you can pay for a Prusa with cash or pay for an Ender with a little time. Either way there’s an investment.

Jessica Alexander likes this.
  13. Jessica Alexander

Houston
    Local Time:
    Enders are almost completely made of generic items that are open source which has advantages and disadvantages. You can replace a generic stepper motor, fan, power supply, MOBO, stepper drivers etc., pretty cheap. It IS a bit overwhelming setting one up the first time if you don't have anyone that has experience in doing so with you but it's doable.

Just jump into it and have fun. It will be frustrating but you learn so much along the way about the whole process. There are millions of free objects on www.thiniverse.com, stl finder or use the 3D object search engine yeggi.com (thingiverse search function is lacking).

This is a great slicing program that lets you take a 3d object which has been downloaded and scale it, position it and prepare all the settings for your printer. Ultimaker Cura: Powerful, easy-to-use 3D printing software

I also use Octprint that lets me control the printer from my computer from almost anywhere as well as remote view a video feed. Large prints can run for days so it's always good to monitor it and be able to shut it down if the print fails. A small print may take a few hours and very large one may go a week! The finer detail you want the slower it will print.

14. Northy

Northy DatKittehBoy

Massachusetts Usa
    Local Time:
    it is instore only. I saw it on R/Buildapcsales

this is what I was planning on doing before ordering a Cherry Keeper. Been having trouble with all my cages and can't find an Oval Ring set to order for sizing that isn't absurdly expensive

15. thongs911

thongs911 Junior Member

Local Time:
    Wow, lots of hate on the Enders.

I have had my Ender 3 for years and not had any problems.

I designed my own cage in Fusion 360 and printed it in PETG. I was recently locked for over 2 months other than for quick cleanings and to swap out cages/rings. I had no issue with the 3d printed plastic.

It is nice to be able to make adjustments as needed. A couple of millimeters bigger here, a couple of millimeters smaller there can really get you dialed in. Once I get it perfected I may send my stls off to shapeways to be printed in a higher quality material, but I really didn't have any problems with the PETG.

16. Wrangler

Wrangler Member

Local Time:
    The Ender 3 sale at microcenter is back on again and i just picked one up.
    Assembly was easy, followed a you tube video by Tomb of 3D Horrors.
    Took me a while to get the bed leveled, but that was mostly to me misunderstanding a stage in the directions.
    From my very novice experience in 3d printing, I cant speak to it's ability to make a long term device, but it would certainly be good for proto typing/ figuring out sizes.
    Again, take in consideration my lack of experience, but i do think it's a machine that will take some tinkering and experimentation over it's life span. But that is part of the fun for me.

17. art4bux

art4bux Active member

carpenter, machinist, welder
    new york city
    Local Time:
    #17 art4bux, Mar 28, 2022
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2022
    Yup, and some of it deserved. My own personal experience: got Ender 3 Pro, assembled it, did a couple of test prints, a Benchy, (Off the microSD they supplied)... OK, not so bad. Connected it to my laptop to try a print off Thingi,... SNAP...Magic smoke came out of both my laptop and printer. Oh, SHIT... Near as I can figure, board shorted 24V to USB bus, which made my laptop VERY unhappy (and me) that's when the CS ordeal mentioned above began. Finally said "fuck this" and bought an M3 Prusa. Best $750 I've spent in a long time. Donated the Ender to a school, got it off my bench.

Deserved hate ? I'd say so.

Just a piece of (unsolicited) advice - If you GOTTA have an Ender and use it, I would strongly suggest printing ONLY from an SD card. Do not, under any circumstances, connect your precious laptop/desktop/data repository to one of these machines.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice