Base ring sizing

Discussion in 'Male Chastity Now' started by MaleChastityNow, Mar 30, 2019.

1. MaleChastityNow

MaleChastityNow making Bling for his thing

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    1:55 AM
    This is another question that people who peruse my website frequently ask me...

Q: Hello. I know this must be a terribly common question, but how do you recommend measuring for the base ring size? I am presently healing from a couple attempts at wearing knock-off holy trainer as a trial cage, using the largest (2") rings.

The issue I had, apart from the sharp seams and cheap material, was that the size kept my testicles quite red and the pressure made any contact that they had with fabric to be uncomfortable. I was able to keep it on for 24-hour stretches, but I am paying for it now with friction burns.

I have tried using the string method (with zip ties to ensure there is no stretching and with string) but coming up with lengths of between 2.5 and 2.75-inch diameters seems so large when all mass-produced cages max out at 2 inches. What are your thoughts?

A: My recommended method for determining your correct base ring size is to purchase some inexpensive test rings, and finding the ring size which you can wear for one to two days comfortably.

Your bodies response and feedback will provide all the information you need to determine your correct size. If you experience any discomfort then the ring is too small.

Test rings from the following company are close in thickness and shape to the rings I make, which very important. Rings on devices like the Holy Trainer are too different in thickness and shape from the rings I make & use, so they fit, and feel, and wear differently than my rings. Because of these differences a 2" ring from a device like that won't convert into how one of my 2" rings will fit you.

I suggest that you purchase two to three test rings in the sizes closest to what you feel you need.

If you plan to purchase a completely customizable cage such as the Contender, then it's also a good idea to buy some test rings that fit only over your penis, as they'll give you a good idea of what size cage to order.

https://male-essentials.com/Rubber-Cock-Rings-RRAS.htm

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  2. Naljeans

Naljeans Active member

Local Time:
    3:55 AM
    I’m at a 1 3/4” ring, which has been my most comfortable size pretty much since day one. However, I’m finding that it’s too loose when things are warmer (weather, physical activity, showering.) I’ve also lost weight/tightened up physically. It doesn’t fall off, but slides down and just isn’t all that secure (I don’t mean like I’m trying to make it “inescapable”)

I’m concerned that a drop to the 1 5/8” would be too big of a jump down, especially at night. That translates to a 3 mm difference, which in my experience can be a big jump.

Does anyone have experience with this? I’m cautious, as the Contender is amazingly comfortable and unobtrusive. I don’t want to lose that.

Any feedback is appreciated. @Peter Rabbit (tagging you as the resident expert in MCN!)

3. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    4:55 AM
    I’d ask Mark to make you a 1-11/16” ring.

Congrats on losing weight!

Mark made me a cage ring at an 1/16” in-between step size upon request. Email him and ask if he would make you a 1-11/16” base ring.

He also made me a 1-3/4” base ring made out of round by a full 1/8” rather than 1/16”
    (This didn’t change the area or circumference, just the distance between bottom of the cage ring and base ring)

Both were not orders off the web form, but direct requests via email. If you know what you need, just ask!

Yes, going from 14/8” to 13/8” reduces area to 86%. But taking a half-step from 28/16” to 27/16” reduces area just to 93%.

While I can wear a 1-5/8” ring for short periods, it causes me skin problems eventually. 1/8” can be a large step!

Mark’s been great with custom requests. Don’t be shy.

4. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @Naljeans

Congratulations on losing weight. As both you and Peter Rabbit mention, 1/8 inch can potentially be too big of a jump in ring size. While the ring sizes offered on my website do work for the majority of people, some do require a base ring sized between the standard sizes offered in 1/8 inch increments.

If you'd like a 1-11/16" base ring you may order it directly through the website by purchasing one of the offered sizes, then placing a note in the 'notes section' of your order during checkout. Alternatively, I can send you an invoice if you contact me directly.

Cheers,
    Mark

5. NuderThanNude

NuderThanNude Active member

Engineer
    Nerw York
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    The problem I have is that my scrotum is always tight so when I try to wear a test ring that seems comfortable right after I put it on. My testicles normally withdraw out of it on their own very quickly so I cannot wear it long enough to gauge the longer term affects.

If I go tighter (where they don't pull out on their own) then I have a difficult time getting my testicles in and out of it even one at a time.

My question is is there a way to determine proper size by what one is able to get in or out of a ring. That is, if I have both balls and flaccid penis in the ring but can push a ball out is the ring too loose. Is it the correct fit if I I can no longer push a testicle out when my flaccid penis in the ring? Or is it too tight?

I have a difficult time telling if the ball ring is cutting off circulation because my scrotum is normally a darker purplish color even without anything on it.

I like a tighter ring because it stays closer to my body and restricts erections better but I do not want to do any harm to my scrotum.

6. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I don't believe there's a way to determine a ring size 'by what one is able to get in or out of a ring.' What's important is that a base ring remains comfortable after 24 to 48 hours of wearing it. If any discomfort is experienced then the ring is too tight. Some men just seem to be more prone to testicles escaping from a base ring.

Besides the regular (horizontal) gap that is frequently mentioned, there is also a vertical gap between the cage ring width and the base ring width. If you look at the attached photo you will see there is quite a gap between the cage and base ring.

IF the cage on the device shown had a wider cage ring, then the vertical gap between the cage and base ring would be smaller, helping to prevent a testicle from slipping through the gap.

There's a trade off though, where intentionally buying a wider cage will provide diminishing returns, meaning the device won't remain comfortable for long term wear (because you don't want a cage that's too wide).

vertical gap_small.jpg

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  7. Naljeans

Naljeans Active member

Local Time:
    Thank you both for the input. I’ll do that. I’m pondering shortening the cage too, but it’s not really necessary. I’d also rather not be in the Nub while it’s in the shop, even considering that Mark works at lightspeed.

8. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @Naljeans, How do you like the Nub?

What are it's pro's and con's, in your opinion?

Is there anything you would change about it?

9. Naljeans

Naljeans Active member

Local Time:
    It’s a pretty great device overall.

Pros:
    It’s very comfortable - pinching is rare, especially when using a bigger base ring. It’s far more comfortable than I imagined it would be.
    The urethra generally stays lined up well.

Cons:
    The closed design is harder to keep dry and clean.
    The front portion of the base ring has two very sharp edges. The tube covers them, but it can be unpleasant taking it on or off.
    Mentally, it’s emasculating. It’s so small, you can’t adjust things and it quite literally makes the cock disappear.
    It’s sometimes tricky sitting down to pee. The balls can block the opening, which is easier to address when standing.

Changes:
    Address the sharp edges
    Shrink the locking portion, which seems unnecessarily large.
    Incorporate a security screw in a steel version.
    I think I would lengthen the bottom side of the tube, but I’m not sure. I can check next time I’m in it (Friday.)

10. NuderThanNude

NuderThanNude Active member

Engineer
    Nerw York
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I'd like to add to Naljeans comments.

Pros:
    The cage design is such that when my penis is in it, it is like I don't have a penis at all. I cannot even feel myself start to get an erection because as I stated it is like I don't have a penis. But that could just be me.

The top half of the cage extends rearward of the ball ring and embeds itself along side the shaft of the penis in the pubic mound. You literally have to pull the cage almost an inch from the body before you could even attempt to pull your penis out, adding to the security.

Cons:
    The stainless version is heavy. The cage could be thinner and lighter and the section that slides together and locks is way more bulky than it needs to be adding a tremendous amount of weight.

Because the cage is buried so deeply into the scrotum, when my scrotum is tight, it just seems to make my scrotum so large and bulky. and pushed forward. Its hard to explain!

11. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    I have a knock-off Nub and the "prongs" of the ring are silly sharp. Easily fixed with a couple of minutes sanding fine sandpaper or a fine file and some sandpaper.

I'm (thankfully) larger than the Nub (and I hope most of us are) but the key to getting the meatus to align with the hole is to do it as it's put on because it's almost impossible to adjust once it's put on. At least for me, that might mean several attempt to get things positioned in the tube before locking. The other option is to use a Q-tip to adjust things.

For me the appeal of chastity is "having" an inaccessible penis rather than "no" penis but I have to say the design of the device is pretty ingenious. I suspect the size of the lock housing has something to do with the mass of plastic need for strength.

Naljeans likes this.
  12. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @Naljeans @NuderThanNude

What about urinating through the nub?...Is it difficult?

Are those holes sufficient for urinating through them, or do you experience overflow through and around the holes?

My experience making chastity devices has shown me that thin metal has the potential to cut or cause discomfort when skin is pressed into holes cut through thin metal. The cap on the Nub looks to me like it's made from a rather thin disc, between 1/16" and 1/8" thick.

Do the urination holes in the Nub cause discomfort when the tip of the penis is pressed into (or through) the urination hole(s)?

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  13. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    Actually Mark, the Nub is pretty easy to urinate through. At least for me, because of the small size of the cage the penis really can't move around so assuming it's aligned when I put it on, it tends to say aligned. I could urinate standing up but there's always that last drop or two that seems to linger so I just sit and wipe.

The plastic around the slot flairs out so it protects against irritation if a bit of the penis gets through the slot. So the plastic isn't any thinner around the edge of the opening and actually might be slightly thicker. Someone really put some thought into the design.

I have to say that it's one of the most comfortable devices I have and certainly the most erection "friendly." Certainly there's a sense of pressure and fullness and while the device pushes forward it's not at all painful or even modestly uncomfortable. I'm not really sure why that is, maybe because everything is held so tightly the pressure is move evenly distributed?

14. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @Adam444 I haven't seen the version of the Nub that has plastic on it. Perhaps there are different versions of it??? May I ask where you bought yours?

15. Naljeans

Naljeans Active member

Local Time:
  16. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @Naljeans you're right! The device I'm familiar with is very different from the one mentioned in this thread. The one I'm familiar with is made entirely of stainless steel. Thanks for the clarification!

17. MaleChastityNow

Chastity Device Maker
    Seattle, WA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    This is the device I'm familiar with, also called a Nub...

nub02.PNG

18. Naljeans

Naljeans Active member

Local Time:
    Oh God, that’s like a salt shaker! No chance urinating is anything less than a disaster in it.

19. Adam444

Adam444 Long term member

Chicagoland, USA
    Local Time:
    Obviously we're talking about two different devices. I was speaking of the Holy Trainer Nub. There are a variety of super-short (micro) steel devices like this one:

rBVaEVnyhzSAXfgIAAHQ-gMfDCo438.jpg

I can understand your concern about the thin edge of the steel at the openings presenting a hazard. I have a longer version that uses the same style at the end and I have not experienced any issues. It does make a mess when urinating.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice