Anyone else experience rust

Discussion in 'Chinese devices' started by Sylophine, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Sylophine

Sylophine She has my key and I have her collar

Canada
    Local Time:
    10:51 PM
    I understand it. I bought a cheap product online, but I was hoping that it wouldn't rust. Been playing with a device here and there for the last year. Wear it for a day or two but my KH would always take it off. One day I will tell the whole story but basically we went to full time wear. The fit was relatively good but after a week of keeping it pretty well clean I thought I found rust. I cleaned it all off and it seemed to be shiny again but after a few days of use I found brown marks on my cage's contents and it was upsetting. It needed to be removed.

I had in the interm ordered a new steel device from amazon but I am worried I will have the same problem. Is my experience a one off or is this what I am to expect? Thank you.

2. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    6:51 AM
    Some time ago I had a cheap Chinese device that rusted... and it made me seriously ill.

At first I didn't realise it was the device, I had just got to the stage of having lockup sessions of between 1 and 3 weeks, and the device was going rusty inside with the sweat and I hadn't noticed. I felt a bit queasy and under the weather, increasingly so, which is very unlike me, I'm rarely ill.
    It was only when I took the device off to clean that I found my skin had changed colour in places in contact with the device and putting two and two together I realised that I had spent over a week absorbing unknown metal salts through my skin giving myself blood poisoning. Simple confirmation from the fact that with no other change, not wearing the device for some days my ill/sick feeling dissapeared as my skin healed up.

Be careful out there!

3. Joey love

Joey love Long term member

Local Time:
    1:51 AM
    I’ve gotten to cheap-os from Amazon that I go 24/7 in with no rust, sounds like a defect on how it was coated. I’m noticing a slight bit of rust on the padlock but that’s not in contact with skin. I could put a drop of 3 in 1 oil in it if it concerned me but not as of yet

4. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    6:51 AM
    PS. before buying my custom made stainless device, I had bought four different cheap metal devices from the far east, all were fine except the one bad one.

OscartheTurtle likes this.
  5. Guest 3729

Guest 3729 Long term member

Local Time:
    11:51 PM
    Mine is Chinese as well and it has never rusted and I've been wearing this one for a couple of years.

6. Guest 3729

Guest 3729 Long term member

Local Time:
    11:51 PM
    Probably just unlucky with that particular one.

7. Alceste

Alceste Chaste Member

United States
    Local Time:
    Rust is bad. The device should be at least grade 316 stainless steel. Grade 304 is not good enough.

The stainless steel is not a coating, it is an alloy of various elements in the correct quantities for the given grade.

Any device made of metal which is plated is definitely not adequate.

8. Sylophine

Sylophine She has my key and I have her collar

Canada
    Local Time:
    Thank you all for your input. We have a new device on order and my KH has expressed interest in something in a more custom fashion.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice