Advertising - Your Opinions Please

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Jens, Mar 31, 2010.

?

Should we have adverts on Chastity Mansion

1. Yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. I don't mind

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mikecb

mikecb Long term member

Local Time:
    10:53 AM
    Thanks for the clarification. I think it would be wonderful for "Friends of the Mansion" to be able to provide advertisements. That said, I would prefer we did NOT have ads for chastity/kink vendors who may show up just to get their ads on the page. If they're active in the mansion, awesome, if they're just here to try and get free advertising, no way! lol.

Thanks as always for all your hard efforts to make Chastity Mansion the wonderful resource it is!

mikecb

2. cockislocked

cockislocked Senior Member

Local Time:
    2:53 PM

Perhaps only companies vetted by the site owners and specifically chastiy focused should be allowed. i will donate to this site every month as is. i would also be willing to consider a subscription too.

3. Mistress Watchful

Mistress Watchful Dont believe the hype ;oP

Professional Dominatrix
    Basingstoke
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Argh @ creating a monster! (I blame pet....)

1) I hate adverts!
    2) We really really REALLY appreciate donations, and they help pay the site bills, but we never want to "make" money from the site.
    3) The main reason for asking this question was because so many people say "why don't you advertise?" so we thought (like we do) "oh heck, maybe we better ask the members! (cos that's what we always do!)

As it stands, and as I see it, the issue is still one of balance... not too much, not too obtrusive. Some people said yes, some people trust us and don't mind and a few said no.

To my mind that makes me say "we were right not to have adverts"

I understand the worry about people coming here and then wanting to advertise once they become "established" members, but the two companies that we will be advertising NEVER asked us... we offered, because their products are unique, amazing, outstanding and relevant to who we are at the Mansion.

We need to have a think about those who don't have PayPal. Thank you for still wanting to contribute, it means we're doing our job right! :Locker:

4. tiffiny

tiffiny Senior Member

Local Time:
    8:53 AM
    Bravo MW,, Bravo..

5. cbtok

cbtok Senior Member

Local Time:
    10:53 AM
    OK, on the basis of this last post, i voted "Yes." i now fully understand the temperament of the leadership here and i think that, were pet to adopt annoying ads, he would find out very quickly what real pain was like.

With respect to PayPal:

my total experience with PayPal is based on the US system. i do not know how it works in Europe, i do not know how it works in the UK (especially since the UK holds its system of finance aloof from the Euro Zone). But in the US, if you have a credit card or a debit card, PayPal is a "back door" into acceptance of payment that way. If you have a bank account, PayPal will allow you to both send and accept money, debiting your account or crediting your account accordingly. In exchange for this service, eBay, which owns the payment system, takes their "mordita" of about 2.9% for anything under $3,000 monthly. It's 3.9% in the UK, up to 1,500. It varies outside of the Euro Zone but it's cheaper than sending cash via Western Union, assuming one does have a bank account.

The issue on the one end (acceptance) is that one's bank account has to be verified by PayPal. For sending, one does not need to verify anything -- all one needs is a credit card or a debit card.

So, one has to ask why it is that someone might tell someone that they cannot give anyone anything via PayPal. The US just changed their laws, disallowing credit cards to persons under the age of 18 and persons under that age ought not be on the Chastity Mansion. But you can get a debit card with any bank account in the US at age 16.

So a statement like "i cannot donate because i cannot get a PayPal account" sounds to me like "i don't want to be asked to donate."

6. lockednloaded

lockednloaded Senior Member

Local Time:
    Ok.....

I feel I should say something as I feel I inadvertently stirred up the hornet's nest!

I want to donate as I feel this site has been 100% invaluable to me during our chastity journey the last couple of years.

I don't/won't use Paypal ever again after they royally fucked me over about 4 years ago, so fuck Paypal and the horse they rode in on!

So the other day, I was thinking about the whole donating/advertising thing and having run/helped run some very busy websites in the past that had advertising links (NOTE-NOT ADVERTS), I made a post in The Study.

I want to make it clear that I am talking about LINKS to websites and NOT adverts.

If you can imagine a link at the bottom of the forum homepage with a link to Chastity Play, Love Honey, or Tickleberry.

If you want to buy something from the retailer, you simply click on the link in exactly the same way you would click on a link to the same retailer in a forum post.

There's a huge difference here:

1. If you click to buy the official link, CM would in turn make money from that purchase.
    2. If you simply clicked a link that I had posted and went and bought that same product, CMM would make feck all.
    So I'm in no way a fan of having adverts on websites (and if not done well, are the main driving force in lowering website visitors!), but I do want a good, easy way for CM to make money by people doing going to a website to buy something that they were going to buy anyway!

Does anyone here use Quidco to get cashback for buying things? The links I'm talking about here would work in exactly the same way-you come to CM, you click, you buy, CM makes money! (no adverts!) :cancan:

What could be simpler or less obtrusive!?

So it would work like this:

The member clicks on a CP/LH/TB specific link (we used to have an Amazon one at the bottom of the forum homepage from the site I used to run).

For example, there would be a (very small) clickable banner like this-----> [​IMG]

With a line of text underneath it, saying something like....

So you have a small couple of clickable links at the bottom that people can click on when they want to visit that particular site and you don't have any adverts flashing away on the site.

Here's a quick example that I found earlier, if you go to http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/ and scroll to the very bottom, you will see their Amazon link.

It's small, it's unobtrusive and Amazon is a site that all of their member must surely use (who doesn't use/hasn't used Amazon!?)

I've also just noticed that there are a load of non relevant (plentyoffish.com and Talk Talk for example) ads flashing around all over the site, but using an affilaites link to a preselected number of relevant retailers avoids all that annoying nonsense (and annoying/non relevant ads are one of the main things that drive people away from a website).

So we could easily also have an Amazon link that people would use to buy their "normal" Amazon purcashes, but by comeing to CM 1st and clicking the sitemakes money!

Here's a link to the Amazon Affialiates system: https://affiliate-program.amazon.co.uk/

So just to be clear-I am totally against adverts, but I am all for simple, discreet, clickable links at the bottom of the homepage to a select few retailers (and/or an Amazon one) that people click for the site to make money.

7. Joroincharge

Joroincharge Lock em up - 24/7/365!!

England
    Local Time:
    I see Jens started this thread in 2010, long before he acquired the site from MW, so I thought other Members would be interested as it recently become relevant. I just started a new thread on it, now deleted.

I hope this old one can nevertheless provoke debate. I think I have stated my personal views already.:)

Best wishes all.

Joro

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice