3d printed device, how long would it last?

Discussion in '3D printing files' started by Boneless beggar, Apr 2, 2020.

1. Boneless beggar

Boneless beggar Active member

UK
    Local Time:
    11:01 PM
    Hi guys. Has anyone here any experience wearing a 3d printed device 24/7? How long do they last? Are the cleanable? I have had a 3d printer for some time but not yet used it to make a device. I have pla and petg filament. Thanks

2. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    12:01 AM
    Depends mostly of you

If you print properly the material it can last, not as strong as steel but once you have the perfect design you can always later send to be printed in metal

Pla is not a good material, it is very strong but cracks easily, it dont matter it can resist 80 kg of pulling force if a minor collision will break it causing cuts or damage to you. Pet or petg are better, not as strong but the flexibility it has allows to be a valid candidate

As always will depend on the filament, the design and yours skills, if you want a quick thing just buy it as this will take long, i know because i am also trying

3. amvetsb

amvetsb Long term member

Network Infrastructure Engineer
    USA - Mid-Atlantic
    Local Time:
    6:01 PM
    I've had 5 all professionally printed. Second has been daily wear for a few years now from CC and works great for long-term, for me. Latest 3 from Shapeways for a change of style and they work great for several weeks at a time. Most 'home media' works okay for prototyping, but hard and breaks/cracks with impact.
    There's no reason not to try making something that you like and fits you well. But in the end, you may wish to have it printed by a pro service with other media.
    Good luck!

4. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    I have printed a number of devices - rings and cages - on my home FFM machine, and so long as they are oriented properly, they're decent. I would recommend PETG as a good balanced material to use as it has good layer adhesion and can be sanded very smooth.

With that said, depending on the design, it may or may not last. Thin features that require stress (like locking points and tabs) are the most vulnerable.

On the other front, SLS prints from companies such as Shapeways printed in Nylon are very, very strong. I've tried to break my own designs, and pulled uncomfortably hard and was still not able to break pieces. These prints are going to do just fine for long term wear.

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  5. Boneless beggar

UK
    Local Time:
    Great idea, getting it right then getting a professional print. I cant wait for metal 3d printers to come down in price. It would seem unbelievable 10 years ago normal people could afford a 3d printer at home. So maybe I wont have to wait long.

6. Boneless beggar

UK
    Local Time:
    I did also wonder about casting/moulding parts in silicone or resin. I have seen this done with non kinky products. Anybody tried?

7. jet_silver

jet_silver Active member

Engineer
    Space coast of Florida
    Local Time:
    @Boneless beggar , Shapeways can make devices of metal in a process analogous to lost wax / investment casting: first they make a sacrificial print, second they embed that in a crucible; third they burn out the sacrificial print; finally they cast it. It ain't cheap but when you make things of silver they last.

8. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    you hit the nail on the head - it ain't cheap. they have a metal sintering process that's much more reasonably priced, but the two companies I tried failed to produce a part that was dimensionally accurate. not just clearance issues, but the ring was 2-3mm taller than it was supposed to be (yes, it was more comfy, but that's not the point), and the two pieces didn't mate properly. There are more expensive processes for metal, but getting a quote for close to $1000 for 316L just didn't seem like it would be something someone would want to pay for

9. ftkeez1

ftkeez1 New member

Local Time:
    5:01 PM
    I have worn FFM 3D printed devices of and on for about 2 years for up to a week stretch. Having a printer means that when they do break that I can print a replacement in a matter of hours. I have slowly iterated to a design that fits and is comfortable for me. The design still has some weak points around the locking mechanism but each print is lasting several months at this point. I print in ABS and smooth with acetone for a perfectly smooth finish.

10. MissEmi

Verified Female

UK
    Local Time:
    We use a 3d printed PA device after lots of tweaking and prototypes we have something which works well and have used it for nearly a year now, the last 4 months full time. It's great being able to make changes and find something which works so well for my partner so that he can remain locked without discomfort.

remyruff likes this.
  11. DreamsOfDenial

DreamsOfDenial New member

Office worker
    UK
    Local Time:
    do you all own your own printers? or can you ask others? sorry no idea but the thought of a custom printed cage does appeal for the comfort

12. MissEmi

Verified Female

UK
    Local Time:
    We have our own but there are a lot of places you can send files to in order to be made, the cost of 3d printers have come right down in price, ours was about £250 we have an Ender 3.

13. DreamsOfDenial

DreamsOfDenial New member

Office worker
    UK
    Local Time:
    Thanks Miss Emi, i will look into it!

14. Boneless beggar

UK
    Local Time:
    Yeah I have an endor 3 also, great printer. do the lines/layers not cause irritation and hard to keep clean? That's why I was thinking after getting a prototype that is the right design and shape then 3d print a mold which could be smoothed and then filled with resin or silicone?

15. cagedmember

cagedmember New member

Local Time:
    3:01 PM
    Any chance you could help me get started with what you guys did Miss Emi? I am in a unique situation with underdeveloped testes so the ball trap stuff does not work. I got a PA a couple years back and my partner now really wants to go the chastity route. We've tried a few metal cheapies but they end up pinching so bad in the pa piercing that they have to come off and let me heal. I am looking into a 3d printer but don't want to re-invent the wheel if there is a good base to start with.

16. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    12:01 AM
    It is not as easy as you can guess but it can be done

Design is complex and take many hours as average, of course if you are a pro not really but i imagine it is not the case, the good part is that FreeCad as the name suggest it is free so you dont need expensive software, it is very complete allowing you to do anything you want

Printing requires fine tunning unless you spend some amount of money, you can also send the 3d model to print online and get shipped but in general is a bad idea, in 8 or 10 prints you will payed more than if you bought a printer for yourself

For the machine itself it will depend hugely on how much, for 150-400 all you will get it is chinese stuff, they will print but the user experience it is usually bad if you want a good print. If you can spend more get a prusa, it is more easy and with less pain involved, it is not the printer itself what matters, the printing settings are important, with a prusa are really easy since most of the people use it as default without changing anything, the ones you see will work. I have an Artillery X1 (is a "good" oriental printer) and well, i had to put an all metal hot end, change some other parts and the profiles you see online dont work anymore, i have to tune for my printer, it requires time and effort wasting filament

So my recomendation it is to look and try the software you like and only then fix the money to spend as it will decide the options you have, i choose the x1 because it has bigger cm³ avaliable than regular ones and because for few money it can print amazingly good a lot of materials

17. Jessica Alexander

Jessica Alexander Trans woman not a mistress or Dom

Houston
    Local Time:
    PLA is too weak and very porous which is why it’s not food safe. Bacteria can’t be washed off so it will stink and maybe cause skin infection. PETG as said earlier would be better but not near as good as nylon but most home units can’t handle chamber and nozzle temps for nylon.

PolyMaker makes a PLA called PollyCast which works extremely well for “lost wax” method of cast forging. It leaves almost 0 residue so very accurate castings can be made especially if vacuum casting and if you have a forge that can hit 3,034°F / 1,668c then you can forge it in titanium.

18. buckey48

buckey48 Member

retired
    Idaho
    Local Time:
    4:01 PM
    I purchased a 3d printed HTV4 type. seemed OK but 1st hot shower caused the device to open. Do not know what material was used in printing the device. It has potential, but like my knock off HTV3 bio resin material needs work

19. buckey48

buckey48 Member

retired
    Idaho
    Local Time:
    4:01 PM
    Seller claims it is bio resin. Can they 3d print using bio resin? Anyway Ali Express refunded my money

20. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    I’ve been wearing a 3D printed device for almost 12 months now, and it’s still looks the same as the day I got it, I had mine printed by a company called sculpteo though, I didn’t use a home printer.

21. thongs911

thongs911 Junior Member

Local Time:
    I was recently locked in a self designed and home printed cage for 65 days. I was let out for cleanings every few days or so. Just soap and water in the shower to clean myself and the cage. The cage and ring are still 100% functional, ready for the next time I am told to put it on.
    Printed in PETG. PETG sands so much better than PLA.

Users found this page by searching for:

1. best 3d printing filiment for chastity cages

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice