Is it really Vanilla?

Discussion in 'Chastity in vanilla life' started by PouchPantyLover, Mar 29, 2019.

Random Thread
  1. PouchPantyLover

PouchPantyLover Long term member

Hawaii
    Local Time:
    9:26 PM
    I have to ask this question of others knowing my own thoughts on the subject. There seems to be within the CM community people that that think there is Chastity in a vanilla life. That is why this forum was created. To me this is an oxymoron. It's like saying I like my vanilla with a chocolate swirl. At that point it's no longer vanilla. Sure you're not all crazy like those Rocky Road lovers (eww nuts). Still you're no longer vanilla. We're all on the flavor spectrum somewhere. thoughts?

Anonoman, Kate Donald and Robinoh like this.
  2. Tom.69.FTW

Tom.69.FTW Active member

Singapore
    Local Time:
    3:26 PM
    Guess that'll depend on each individual's perspective & experience. I have friends (guys and girls) who don't know what a 'cock cage' or 'male chastity device' is.

3. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    2:26 AM
    I here ya, I’ve seen some complain about their vanilla wives that practice chastity and dabble in bondage, but since they don’t get taken with a strap on or dress up, it somehow makes her vanilla. I suppose how long a minute is, depends on which side of the bathroom door you’re on.

4. sixofthebest

sixofthebest Long term member

In Early and Well-Earned Retirement
    Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
    Local Time:
    I like nuts.

PouchPantyLover likes this.
  5. Consensus

Consensus Long term member

Working with vulnerable people
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    8:26 AM
    Well, I am in a vanilla situation but in chastity without my wife's knowledge. So... I guess I thought that's what this sub-forum was mainly for.

However, points taken.

6. sixofthebest

sixofthebest Long term member

In Early and Well-Earned Retirement
    Minneapolis, Minnesota USA
    Local Time:
    #6 sixofthebest, Mar 29, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
    I agree with the spectrum theory. Just as with the spectrum for homosexuality to heterosuality, very few of us live all the way on one end or the other. As we have seen on more than one occasion, someone condemning homosexuality has been found to own a pair of knee pads and expertly practices “lips together, teeth apart.” I’ve also had more than one lesbian friend who, while being happily married to her partner, has “just needed a real cock.”

Maybe problems just tend to go hand in hand with labels. Maybe there are too many ways to live for labels to be entirely accurate.

In My life I have been topped by wonderful men, women, and trans folk. I’ve pleasured them orally and they have taken me anally. I have served each of them gladly and without fear. Now I am in a heterosexual FLR, I am tightly locked in chastity, and I regularly receive discipline from my wife and from Miss Rommely in Minneapolis. I go to church. I volunteer. So how do you put together a label that covers all of this?

Now, what if all you knew about me was that I go to church? Vanilla? What if my church was known for welcoming members of the LGBTQ community? Still vanilla? What if you knew that I regularly socialized with a subset of this church community? Vanilla? Suspect there might be the beginnings of that chocolate swirl? And what if you knew that several of us met monthly at a rented dungeon for BDSM FUN? What label then?

I guess the point I’m trying to make is that each of us is a unique symphony of characteristics that when taken in our totality can not be adequately labeled. Are some of us who practice chastity purely vanilla? Probably, but I bet the number is low. Are any of us entirley bent and twisted kinksters doomed to burn in hell forever? Probably. If you are one of these people on the fast track to meet the Devil, pease introduce yourself. I’m sure several of us would like to meet you and share the ride.

The rest of us are in the middle somewhere and many of us don’t know where we belong. The struggle among conscience, societal influence, and the host of forces that tell us how we should be rages on. If you don’t believe me, reach into that bag of sexual secrets you are terrified to share with anyone. If you insist your bag is empty, I do have one of two labels for you: “liar” or “free”.

Jamie

7. cshorts

cshorts Locked in love for SL

Bay Area, California
    Local Time:
    12:26 AM
    Well, *I* don't claim to be in a vanilla life, but my wife (and KH) feels she is. At this point, she is accommodating my desire for chastity, but she doesn't directly desire it, and would give it up on the spot if I asked to. (She *is* increasingly getting accustomed to and desirous of the extra loving attention she gets from me, but that's a different thread.)

8. R2002

R2002 Long term member

Attorney
    USA
    Local Time:
    3:26 AM
    I'd say chastity and orgasm denial is quite kinky

9. shannonsanders

shannonsanders Long term member

Local Time:
    I have a friend who regularly engaged in group sex who thinks chastity is the weirdest thing he ever heard of, so I agree everyone has their own perspective, kinks, hangups, baggage, likes and dislikes. I don't think tease and denial is all that kinky---lots of people use it for foreplay. Most people would consider wearing a cock cage kinky.

10. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Wearing a chastity device is a form of bondage. Bondage is the B in BDSM. If you think about it and realize that I spent almost 3 years in constant bondage, that sounds kinky. On the other hand another guy, hanging upside down, hogtied with a cattle prod up his bum, might say “you think that’s kinky?!”

taped2, Kate Donald, Breathe and 5 others like this.
  11. R2002

R2002 Long term member

Attorney
    USA
    Local Time:
    I should have elaborated. I meant long term orgasm denial with only releases from prostate stimimulation (if that) ever allowed

PouchPantyLover and tiruh811 like this.
  12. Guest 3729

Guest 3729 Long term member

Local Time:
    1:26 AM
    I dont think you can call chastity itself vanilla because let’s face it, it’s bdsm and pretty kinky to have your parts locked up so you can’t access yourself. However based on how your key is held can be very vanilla if your partner isn’t interested in anything else but holding your key until she is ready for sex. Then if the sex is “vanilla sex” then that’s how I’d describe the relationship as “vanilla chastity”. I suppose it’s more of a personal perception of how I view sex and chastity together that makes me define what’s vanilla and what’s not. I doubt we all have the same definition of vanilla.

13. locked_cuckold

locked_cuckold Active member

United States. Sheridan, WY
    Local Time:
    1:26 AM
    If you wear your chastity device in the real world where you work, shop, etc. is it still vanilla?

14. buildup

buildup Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    #14 buildup, Mar 31, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2019
    I very much consider chastity not to be vanilla. It's a kink no question about it; unless we were monks and that's a completely different matter.

However, I suppose you could argue within the range of various practices of chastity there are some things which are relatively vanilla. The question is which practice is vanilla within chastity. Is PIV vanilla? Is pegging vanilla? Is edging vanilla? What about intercourse where the husband has PIV; but with a strap-on? What about CBT, bearing in mind there various degrees to which pain can be inflicted? How about ruined orgasm?

15. shannonsanders

Local Time:
    For those who use the word "vanilla".....What's the value of the word "vanilla"? Is it a way of saying to a non-kinky partner "hey, I do this thing that's a little different, but its not soooo weird and not sooo threatening..." Is it more important to you to think of yourself as vanilla or so you want your partner or others to think of you was vanilla? People are a lot more openminded than even 20 years ago. When I first went to swingers clubs, swingers were like "we just like to have fun here, not like those crazy BDSM people". We heard the exact flipflop at BDSM clubs. Now we've seen BDSM rooms at swingers clubs, and we've see hot straight, gay, lesbian, you name it sex at BDSM clubs.

Kate Donald and PouchPantyLover like this.
  16. cshorts

Bay Area, California
    Local Time:
    I don't use "vanilla" to describe myself -- definitely not! But I do to describe my wife / KH's tastes. And when I first started discussing chastity with her, I explained that while this was a kink I was asking for, otherwise our sex life could stay as vanilla as she wanted -- to reassure her.

PouchPantyLover and Rectrix like this.
  17. Consensus

Consensus Long term member

Working with vulnerable people
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I don't use the term. However, my wife pointed out recently that there are kinky people and normal people. She's the latter. For people like her, kinks exist but for other people, they are removed. There's no moving between states unless it's not indulging in kink and accepting that it's not going to happen.

On that basis, I would be tempted to refer to my wife as vanilla.

18. Rectrix

Rectrix Long term member

US East Coast
    Local Time:
    No, I think it's this thread. What's happening is that her mind is opening, she's learned how kink can affect real ife. She's less "vanilla" than she used to be. You say she could give it up in a second, but I think she'd rather play and keep the benefits. My wife is making the same discoveries.

PouchPantyLover, cshorts and Giveitup like this.
  19. cshorts

Bay Area, California
    Local Time:
    You may know my wife better than I do :) Last night she treated me to a T&D session. As she wrapped things up she gave me the warmest smile and said "I love you so much". I responded "does this mean you like me in chastity?", to which she just blushed in reply.

Wooly, PouchPantyLover and Rectrix like this.
  20. PouchPantyLover

Hawaii
    Local Time:
    I have to remember to not start a thread on a Friday. I was so busy with my vanilla life :p that I didn't get on here until today to read all the thoughtful replies. Let me start by saying for the sake of argument, this definition from Wikipedia is our baseline for "Vanilla".

Conventional sex, or vanilla sex, is sexual behavior that is within the range of normality for a culture or subculture, and typically involves sex which does not include elements of BDSM, kink, or fetishism.

In terms of "range of normality....for a subculture" I guess you could argue among CM participants chastity is vanilla as it's our common baseline. Once you step out of our subculture though, it is certainly not in the range of normality. On the second half we fail the vanilla definition on all three points.

What has always bugged me about this forum is the more sinister insinuation. Vanilla equals normal automatically means that non-vanilla equals abnormal. History is full of less than awesome outcomes when one group views another as abnormal to their normal. Think about how homosexuality was viewed as recently as 20 years ago. That's why I like to think of it as a spectrum instead of vanilla/flavored or normal/abnormal. I guess I could just be getting my pouch panties in a twist though :D.

Perhaps it's just a less threatening landing pad for people to have a discussion about chastity without getting into pegging, punishment, watersports, crossdressing or cuckolding. Whoops, I just brought them in. :eek:

Breathe and R2002 like this.
  21. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Responsible opposing viewpoint here:

There probably is not a *line* beyond which, when crossed, brings a person from a vanilla to a non-vanilla state. There are other aspects, not the least of which is one's mindset when engaging in those acts.

For example, otherwise vanilla partners might try a blindfold, slightly rough sex, teasing, very short term denial, tying one's arms with scarves or belts, or using a few toys. If their mindset is that it's just a little experimentation to spice things up or to make for a special date night, I'd still say that they still fall into the vanilla category.

The easy access to sex toys has moved the kink Overton window over to the side a bit. Dildos and vibrators are the overwhelming biggest selling items for most online distributors, and even the Christian marriage advice sites recommend a little experimentation as being healthy.

Short term teasing and denial is pretty vanilla. "Mmm, you're so horny, aren't you? Well, keep me in your thoughts, until later tonight, okay?" Chastity devices, according to several online sellers, are now fairly high up on the retail list. Is using a CB6000 to "make him wait until the weekend" vanilla? In some contexts, it probably is. They are a fun toy to try out for a week, and then it goes back in the drawer with the Hitachi, the fake velvet "luv cuffs", and the flavored lube, until some other time.

I feel like I'm in a weird spot. Like with @Rectrix and @Consensus , my wife, Mrs Edge, emphatically does not consider herself to be kinky. We've experimented with bondage, riding crops, etc., but none of them "take" for her, on either end of the application. And she considers our arrangement to be fairly vanilla. No, I'm not joking here. Her position is that even though I'm locked and denied for long periods of time, our actual sex life - me using a strapon on her - is otherwise very plain vanilla. She prefers missionary, and once in a while will ask me to lay back so she can ride it. That's it. To her, this is mostly proper sex, and isn't the least bit kinky.

So, as I said, I've come to believe that there's a mindset factor with regard to what is and isn't vanilla.

22. shannonsanders

Local Time:
    #22 shannonsanders, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2019
    There's trying to look at it "objectively" by trying to compare it to what everyone else does, and also "subjective" as in how somebody feels about themselves and what acts they do. I question how much we really know about what is "normal" even with the Internet. In my mid-40's, I talk or observe or hear about other's sexuality more than ever before and am still surprised by different points of view. I've had an experienced pro domme tell me "I've never done tried that before".

There is also an "act" versus "identity". Someone can try kinky acts, but not really feel they are "kinky". Others can have very kinky imaginations, but not really act on their thoughts for various reasons.

My wife was convinced she was was vanilla and that Femdom or BDSM would bore her, until we tried pro domes a few times. She has a much different POV now.

Context matters a lot. I have't had that much PIV with my wife lately...but on Saturday we did...while she was bent over a spanking bench....in a room full of people....there was a group of trans-people playing some games. But the sex we had, I guess it wasn't that kinky.

23. PouchPantyLover

Hawaii
    Local Time:
    As I am fond of saying, perception is reality. So I can see this point of view that if I perceive myself as vanilla I am. But who sets the standard for Vanilla/Non-Vanilla? Is it societal or self labeling. If the later I can see where you're coming from. If it's the first I think any form of mechanical chastity thrusts you across that vanilla line into flavored land. Take pornography. In my adolescent years (early 1980's) I was able to slip looks at my Dad's Playboy magazine. I think I knew about pornographic movies, but I never saw one until I was 18. For my era I think I was probably more exposed to pornography than average. Drop that same experience into a teenage boy today with the internet and I'm a newb. By today's standards I'd be quite vanilla. Back then spanking it to Miss January I was probably at least chocolate chip.

shannonsanders likes this.
  24. shannonsanders

Local Time:
    Plus how we feel about ourselves has a lot to do what we think other people are up to, which can be totally disconnected from reality. I think I read somewhere that an individual's satisfaction with their sex life correlates with whether they think they are having more or less sex than "average" but most people have no real idea how much the average person is or isn't having sex, and their ideas of "average" are total whims.

We also all have different baggage and can view the same acts differently. I'm in my mid-40's, and a thing that I think about a lot is that I haven't had that many partners. I have a hard time trusting other people and finding spontaneous chemistry. I envy people who have "game" and no how to hook up. So I end up thinking of myself as "conservative" (in an adventure, not political or moral sense) or introverted. But I've done some pretty kinky stuff, just not as often as I would like. I say that as a faithful married person who has been married a long time.

PouchPantyLover and Rectrix like this.
  25. hardbodysub

hardbodysub BrokeTheMold

Pennsylvania
    Local Time:
    I think some folks should look up chastity in the dictionary. The definition you'll find there is very definitely vanilla.

Like anything else, however, when the practice (or device) becomes a fetish (you may want to check the dictionary for that, too), it dons a different mantle. At that point, I would say it's no longer vanilla, or at least not exclusively so.I I think it's generally understood that when we talk about chastity here, we're usually not talking about the vanilla version.

The same thing can be said for feet, boots, garter belts, whatever. Finding boots attractive or sexy, even greatly so, may be completely vanilla. But if seeing them creates virtually uncontrollable arousal, or if they are needed to create arousal, then it's a fetish, and we're not in vanilla land any more.

Personally, I don't know that it matters much. It is what it is, no matter what you call it. On the other hand, there certainly is a difference between the vanilla version of chastity and a chastity kink.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice