Repair a Locked in Steel Belt?

Discussion in 'Full Belts' started by LordDunmore, Jun 2, 2012.

1. LordDunmore

LordDunmore New member

Local Time:
    6:55 AM
    I have a LiS belt that has been sitting in a drawer for several years now. As with many others, I had numerous problems with communications and such with LiS.

Once I had my belt and was wearing it, two of the 3 locking pins broke off. I was never able to get back in touch with them, and finally gave up.

Does anyone know of a company that may be able to help me by doing a repair on the belt? Unfortunately, over the years, I no longer have the two missing pins, which may add to the problem.

Thanks in advance!

Neil

2. Joroincharge

Joroincharge Lock em up - 24/7/365!!

England
    Local Time:
    12:55 PM
    I think they're a waste of time. Worse, they're crooks. Ostensibly they're under new management, but from all I've heard all those connected with it have for a long time been taking money with no intention of delivering.

3. LordDunmore

LordDunmore New member

Local Time:
    Unfortunately, I agree. However, that doesn't help me with my problem :)

Would think there is a kink-aware welder out there somewhere that might be able to help...

4. enigmaPOJ

enigmaPOJ Member

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    7:55 AM
    If the center pin (for the lock) is still intact, you could fix it with steel pins and some JB-Weld would work. The new owners of LIS are not setup yet and I don't know much about them.

I've seen them break (due to faulty weld), but usually it's the locking pin that breaks since it's under more stress. I know one person who modified their LIS belt by removing the guid pins and put a thick plate behind the original plate with welded nuts on it to receive screws from the top. The lock was modified to prevent access to the screw head from the front. The result was a much secure belt and no movement as it felt like one piece. I've though of doing it myself, but since mine works fine I'll leave it alone.

5. johnr104@hotmail.com

business owner
    New York
    Local Time:
    I had the same problem. When the pins broke off they left holes. I drilled out the holes and got 3 stainless steel bolts and secured them with a thin nut. the pin that has the hole for the locking pin was slightly wider (as wide as the cutout in the shackle protector). I used a bench grinder to slightly flatten part of the bolt to make drilling the hole easier. I then wrapped it with plastic electrical tape to make everything smooth. The repaired belt is better and stronger than before. Whole thing took about an hour.
    pins.jpg

6. Dave Leonard

Dave Leonard Active member

NH
    Local Time:
    7:55 AM
    I also have a LockedinSteel full steel belt that the pins broke but i welded them and havnt had any problem since

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice