Skin Irritation from (supposed) Stainless Steel

Discussion in 'Chastity device discussions and reviews' started by bringback, Oct 15, 2010.

1. bringback

bringback Member

Local Time:
    12:14 PM
    Hello everyone! I bought a "stallion guard" (edit: that word is a link to a pic, just to clarify) device a while back and have been wearing it fairly regularly. I cleaned it everyday with an all-purpose cleaner, like lysol. I've since developed a red, itchy, and inflamed irritation on the upper, outward-facing part of my scrotum, where the inner of the two rings rests against it. I realized how silly it was to use an all-purpose cleaner (I was trying too hard to be super clean), and assumed that residual cleaner on the metal of the device was causing this reaction on my skin, so I wiped the metal parts of the device with mild soap, then wipe-rinsed them, and have only used mild soap to clean it since. I stopped wearing the device until my skin got better, but when I tried wearing the device again the redness returned within a few days.

I was under the impression that the metal on the device was stainless steel, but now I have my doubts, since I've read that stainless does not cause skin reactions. I suspect that the metal must be nickel. I also notice that the two rings on the device are now only shiny and polished on the sides which don't come in contact with my scrotum and penis; the other sides are dull-grey, have a grainy appearance, and are very slightly rough in texture.

My questions: does anyone know how to tell if my device is made from nickel or stainless steel? Is it alright to use a piece of steel-wool to buff the rough metal on the rings? Would this further damage the metal, or might it remove residual matter that might be excacerbating the irritation?

2. Smaug

Smaug Member

Local Time:
    5:14 AM
    stainless steel is not magnetic

3. bringback

bringback Member

Local Time:
    Thanks Smaug! I checked and the metal is indeed magnetic. Crap! I guess the redness must be a reaction to the metal.

The only weird thing is that I wore the device very regularly (most days, almost all day) for just over a month before any redness developed. I wonder if my skin just developed an allergy, or if there are other causes which could have added-up to make things worse. It could also be that my allergy is just very mild and takes time to build-up to the point of having a reaction. I'll probably try wearing the device only during the day and sleeping without it on to give my skin time to relax.

Does anyone know about using steel wool to buff the rougher parts of the metal? Will this damage the metal?

4. billie

billie Active member

Local Time:
    7:14 AM

I say no. The reason it looks dull now is the plating that was keeping you from reacting to the metal is gone. Steel wool would probably make it worse.

5. phoopha

phoopha Junior Member

Local Time:
    Hmm, actually it can be magnetic.

When it comes to classifying stainless steel as having magnetic properties, there is not a simple yes and no answer. Instead, the proper response would be to state that it depends. Here is some information about stainless steel that will help to identify situations in which this alloy exhibits magnetic properties, and when it does not.

It is important to understand that stainless steel is not a pure magnetic metal. In fact, stainless steel is really a collective name for a steel alloy that is mixed with other metals in order to give it the properties that make the metal compound so desirable. For instance, the typical stainless steel contains just over ten percent of chromium.

In fact, it is the presence of the chromium that provides stainless steel with the ability to repel permanent stains and keep looking fresh and clean over long periods of time. The chromium essentially creates a protective layer on the alloy that prevents rusting and makes the metal resistant to any real damage. Any scratches to the surface are simply filled in by this protective layer, making it possible to prevent corrosion to occur. It is the introduction of chromium into the mix that we refer to as stainless steel that makes it possible for the alloy to exhibit magnetic properties.

http://www.wisegeek.com/is-stainless-steel-magnetic.htm

6. jeank

jeank Member

Local Time:
    If it's magnetic it's unlikely to be stainless steel - the normal grade used for anything in continuous contact with the skin ("medical grade") is 316 stainless which is non-magnetic. I can't see why anyone would use a magnetic stainless for this - there would not be a significant advantage either cost or process wise for the person constructing it.

7. phoopha

phoopha Junior Member

Local Time:
    Different sources will suggest different things.

316 is an example of austenitic stainless steel which, by nature, is generally non-magnetic. However, it is possible to alter the characteristics of the metal. For example cold working and welding can mean that some ferromagnetism may be noticed.

So, whilst I'd agree that in general terms it shouldn't really exhibit magnetic properties, there is a chance that it could.

As to the redness being experienced by the OP, it is possible that they have become sensitive to the nickel in the stainless steel and this may be causing the issue. Nickel is part of the stainless steel metal, added in varying quantities, depending upon the grade of stainless being produced. 316 stainless steel should contain between 10-14% nickel.

8. SlaveBo

SlaveBo I love this picture

On the edge!
    Local Time:
    Yes I agree don't buff with metal wool, you wil take off the metal plating whigh could be bad. Good quality stainless steel does indeed have a 10-12% chromium content and it is this chromium that oxides and forms a protective layer over the steel which stops the iron from oxidising and forming rust. I read an article on it on wiki some time back.

I also read another article on this web site where another wearer used an epoxy resin on his device to remove contact with the metal, apparently it worked.

Good luck!

9. AliceInBondageLand

Moderator Verified Female

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    5:14 AM
    I also have a nickle allergy... and I have found that nickle is EVERYWHERE, including as an additive in Stainless Steel and also in Sterling Silver.

I can only wear gold piercings and jewelry. In fact, I can only wear 18-24 karat and above gold jewelry because, guess what, 12 and 14 gold ALSO has nickle as an additive. It is everywhere.

One method of dealing with it works for jewelry, but might not be right for your device, is to cover the part that touches your skin with clear nail polish. That will act as a buffer so that your skin is no longer in direct contact with the metal. On something like a chastity device, that might rub off quickly and need to be reapplied.

10. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    I'm not familar with the device you speak of your link took me to motorcycle clothing. If the stallion guard has an A-ring like the Millers cb-xxxx and so many others, is it just the A-ring that is causing your rash. If so you could get a surgical grade steel A-ring like I did for my Fort. I have had no problems since doing that and I've been using mine constantly for a while.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice