Adjusting gap size with tools for MM jailbird

Discussion in 'Mature Metal' started by Corncob420, May 27, 2022.

1. Corncob420

Corncob420 New member

Local Time:
    4:19 PM
    I recently received a MM jailbird device and round the round ring was better than oval. Nevertheless, the burning beneath the balls persisted. I was instructed I need to increase the gap size a tiny bit with a bench vise and 1/4” ID metal tube. Is there any visual aids or videos I can use as a resource to do this? I think I have an idea of what needs to be done, but any clarification would help. My wife wants me long term and I’m obligated to make this cage fit right.

Thanks.

2. DrPinotNoir

DrPinotNoir Active member

Local Time:
    dont do this. Send it back. I adjusted mine and it didnt fix it. When I sent it to them. It was back in my wife's hands in 3 days. When you bend it the bottom measurement is still tight on that one measurement the other will change but it wasnt enough.. You want it for permanent? Have them make he adjustment. I had that problem and pee gettnig everywhere. so they adjusted the gap and cut off the top bar where the urine stream was hitting. Ive been locked since Feb with no problems. I also have both round and oval. Oval didnt work for me. Round worked perfectly. I had them make a round one in that mail back. Send it back! Get a real adjust ment.

3. Corncob420

Corncob420 New member

Local Time:
    I appreciate the feedback. I think i will follow your advise… does not seem worth the hassle of screwing it up myself just to have to send it in regardless. Thanks

4. Draconyx

Draconyx Active member

California, USA
    Local Time:
    1:19 PM
    Im starting to wish I went MM with my device.. went to badassworkroom. my gap is a bit too much and its been 3 weeks and have heard nothing back from the dude.

5. boisub

boisub Inaccessible member

Northwest US
    Local Time:
    2:19 PM
    I was able to increase the gap just slightly as recommended by MM.

If you have a caliper, measure the current actual gap at its smallest point, with the cage locked or screwed to the post.

Buy a 6” or 12” section of galvanized pipe of the recommended inner diameter.

Wrap the base ring in a dish towel and secure it in a bench vise.

At this point it’s a good idea to take a photo that shows the angle of the locking post. The adjustment you make will be almost imperceptible, but the photo will help you judge if you’ve gone too far.

Place the pipe over the post, and then very gently apply pressure to the end of the pipe to bend the post.

Take a photo each time you do this and compare with the original. When it looks like you’ve changed the angle just slightly, reattach the cage and measure the gap with the calipers.

Repeat as necessary until the gap is what you want.

Yes, you can send it back to MM for adjustment, but to get the correct gap down to the millimeter, it’s better to do it yourself.

archie likes this.
  6. elias

elias 7/7 on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale

Local Time:
    10:19 PM
    I had a nice written and illustrated instruction to do this for my MCN Contender cage. This is "similar" to MM's Jailbird. Unfortunately I can not find Mark's instruction anymore. One thing I remember is that his advice was not manipulate the post as the welding might be damaged. Perhaps somebody else have the illustrations of MCN available to share.

7. MT206

MT206 Long term member

Adelaide, South Australia, AU.
    Local Time:
    5:49 AM
    I've never emailed him at all. I'd suggest sending a direct message through Etsy instead.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice