Writing sex: in which I admit that I am useless but looking for help

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by PerhapsJustAdog, Aug 26, 2020.

1. PerhapsJustAdog

PerhapsJustAdog Active member

Sweden
    Local Time:
    10:33 AM
    I write. Quite a bit. I suppose these days it would be semiprofessionally but for a long time it was what I did. From print journalism to fiction and everything in between. But now, when I for reasons that shall remain unclear for the time being, have a shit ton of time on my hands I figured I'd challenge myself and get back up to speed again.

Perhaps some of you here are writers or aspiring writers or just write for the sheer joy of it - trust me, that's the best reason - and you might recognise my approach. Basically I generate in some way a short writing prompt. A couple of words, 5 at the most and from that I have to write a short story. 2 000 words, nothing impossible, in one day. It works for me because it gets that process in my head that reaches into the aether and grabs strands of stories drifting aimlessly and pull them together in a somewhat cohesive form. Generally I also switch up languages, mostly I write in my mother tongue, but I also write quite a few in French (poorly) and English (E for Effort). The resons for this is uninteresting and has more to do with keeping my interest up.

However. I have realized that I am absolutely and utterly unable to write convincingly about sex. Or rather I can write about sex in the sense that someone can provide some suitably tardy exposition but in the actual moment, describing that just seems like something I am unable to do.

Needless to say this annoys the living crap out of me.The problem is that I've read very few literary descriptions of sex as it happens that have felt true and I wonder why. I may have missed plenty. There's Erica Jong, Henry Miller, Anaïs Nin and plenty of others that have made a name for themselves but what have I missed. (Please no de Sade or Fifty Shades, the former is not not bad but uninteresting and the latter is best suited for central heating, yes yes I'm a snob)

And I don't care if it's published or fan fiction or whatever . I am too stiff in my approach, to repressed and I need to find some guide through that process.

If you managed to read this self indulgent screed thus far I suppose I owe you a part of a story. There's no sex involved. and it is just an excerpt but one which tells enough of a story I think. And any ideas are more than welcome. Eternal gratitude and some such.

They, the old people who sit around and talk about the old days before all of this, they say that it all started with that woman passing through. She came walking one day, out of nowhere, along the dusty road that nobody really ever used since the cattle ranch had gone belly up years ago when the water dried up. They say she came with the wind at her back and that she stopped at the store where they sold snow cones and sodas and bought candy and gave it to the children and that she laughed and kept walking. Walking. Completely insane out there, a death sentence for sure. They say, the old folks that always have stories to tell about this and that, that when she walked those two miles or so through the town the wind strengthened and the flags and the banners grew in size behind here. It might be just a story but everything is just a story anyway, or so say the old ones and then they laugh their toothless laughs and wink at each other and gaze out at the horizon as the city sails over the plains.

They say the next morning we all woke up three miles from home, 200 feet off the ground, floating on the breeze over an endless landscape, surrounded by the birds of the morning. Sometimes it’s said that they seemed to be made from smoke. And we have been sailing since, migrating. A long time now, a generation. And we’re no longer alone, it seems like all the little slowly dying cities of the plains and hills have followed us, we are the buffalo of the new millenia, herds of cities sailing the land, congregating and spring and fall equinox in great numbers. Marriages negotiated, barters made, families bonded. We have become navigators, sailors, explorers once again in a world we though we already knew. Our destiny is our own again, our own once more.

There were hard times at first, the old folks tell us, people just couldn’t take it, the change. A world turned upside down completely is a rebirth and no birth is ever painless, anyone who’s been present during one can attest to that. There is pain. There is blood. And sometimes there is death. But out of that came something new and something different and the heart of the land that once felt like it was being torn asunder by the changing times, left behind by the future shock rippling through the sprawling cities on the coast are now a nation of its own.

We talk sometimes about mooring two or more towns together, to grow, to become larger but it never seems meaningful. The vast expanses and the winds are all we need and all the children laugh and climb the water towers on the days when the winds pick up, trying to see if they can spot the woman walking along one of the roads down there, black hair flowing in the wind, liberating the land, town by town.

Ms Maree and BR_Saiph like this.
  2. PerhapsJustAdog

Sweden
    Local Time:
  3. PerhapsJustAdog

Sweden
    Local Time:
    It's kind of interesting to post something to the library section and realizing that you are probably wwwwwaaaaaaaay off.

4. BR_Saiph

BR_Saiph Self-published author

Canada
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    5:33 AM
    I'm afraid I can't help with the sex writing, but I enjoyed the read :)

PerhapsJustAdog likes this.
  5. PerhapsJustAdog

Sweden
    Local Time:
    Thanks, I appreciate the kind words

BR_Saiph likes this.
  6. jet_silver

jet_silver Active member

Engineer
    Space coast of Florida
    Local Time:
    There might be a difference in your perception between writing about sex and writing about people who are doing sex things. You show here you can write about people.

7. PerhapsJustAdog

Sweden
    Local Time:
    Thanks! And I do see your point. I... hmmmm..... I have to think. (cue grinding noises)

8. MrsBR_Saiph

MrsBR_Saiph Hotwife & Keyholder
    Verified Female

Ontario, Canada
    Local Time:
    @BR_Saiph does an amazing job writing about sex. I may be a little bit biased but I can honestly say no one I have ever read paints a scene quite like him.

9. Mojoman

Mojoman Long term member

Local Time:
    9:33 AM
    "Sex" is such a wide-ranging and varied subject, so maybe it's just simply too difficult to write about sex in a general way. I agree that BR Saiph's stuff is a damn good read, but maybe that's because he writes very passionately about aspects of sex that he really enjoys. And, perhaps, my enjoyment from reading his stuff stems from my enjoyment of the subject matter. Personally, I find that my vocabulary lacks the words to do justice to things that I am very passionate about, so it is an art to be admired in others.

I haven't read 50-Shades either and I understand that it's not particularly well written, but you can't deny the success it had in bringing an element of kink to masses of people who, up to then, had considered themselves to be "normal", many of whom had no idea that they even had any interest in kink. Sales of handcuffs and whips, etc. went through the roof.

The point that I am trying to make (and perhaps rather clumsily) is that you could start writing about sexual aspects that you are passionate about and you are bound to find a niche that are interested and enjoy reading it. If you just happen to pick the right niche subject at the right time, it could go global.

PerhapsJustAdog and BR_Saiph like this.
  10. Mojoman

Mojoman Long term member

Local Time:
    While writing my post above, I remembered a short story I wrote some years ago, so I've dug it out and posted it in the Library section. It's called "The Phone Call".

11. BR_Saiph

BR_Saiph Self-published author

Canada
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Thank you @Mojoman !
    Also I think your post is very well said and has terrific points!

12. PerhapsJustAdog

Sweden
    Local Time:
    I really do appreciate your input @Mojoman, @BR_Saiph and @MrsBR_Saiph. I have some rather specific questions for you @BR_Saiph if you have the time at some point that are of little interest and more of a story structural nature but I am not particularly inclined to intrude so if you feel you have the time then I would appreciate it very much.

13. Giles_English

Giles_English Chaste slave

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Writing about sex as in people having sex is... an acquired trick, but not much different than writing about sport. It's either player against player, or player against themselves, all the while revealing character.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice