The iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Burger_01, Aug 16, 2008.

1. Burger_01

Burger_01 Chastity Geek

Local Time:
    4:32 PM
    Hi all,

This is the off topic forum, and I know there are some fellow geeks here, so I ask you: what do you think of the iPhone?

Personally, I'm making this post from my new phone. The forum was fast to load and the phone really is more than a phone. More like a computer/Internet in your pants. The 3g signal doesn't show up as very strong, but there's still too much speculation as to why for me to complain. It completely destroys my nokia 6280, which was a bad phone at the best of times

Look forward to the responses :)

2. sissysophie

sissysophie Member

Local Time:
    6:32 AM
    Hi Burger

It is a excellent piece of kit! There is sooo much that can be done with it and the applications are brill. If you have an Apple TV the remote control is outstanding. Just imagine wiring speakers all around the home and being able to control the music from the device (assuming you have a wireless network that is).

This is a revolutionary device and another first for Apple. Well worth the investment. BYW have you turned on the fetch/push feature for e-mail? I notice a minor issue with it. Also the 3G issue is more than likely to do with signal strength in the area. It is important to remember that 3G is still being deployed in most part of the world, and also Apple has a tendency to lock down features with software so that they can add or extend them with SW updates. (Been using Apple for a while and they blow any PC OS away! Way more stable and less things to go wrong. I guess that's one of the benefits of writing your own SW and building your own HW)

3. Mistress Watchful

Mistress Watchful Dont believe the hype ;oP

Professional Dominatrix
    Basingstoke
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    7:32 AM
    Wow.... and all I'd heard was bad reports!

If I wasn't a Blackberry girl, I'd be tempted, but I loved my Ipaq with Windows so if I ever get round to using my Blackberry to full potential, I'm sure I'll be happy.

(That and the fact it's a celebrity phone :tongue:)

I have the iTouch something or other to play with my photos on though, but I don't use it too much.

Glad you both like the phone. :bigsmile:

4. sissysophie

sissysophie Member

Local Time:
    There will always be those you will give bad reports because a "feature" they think is important is not included MMS, streaming audio via bluetooth, poor camera etc...

It is always the same we we have to change from old ways and besides I don't see the advantage of MMS when you can send a picture via e-mail, or if I wanted a good quality camera I won't be buying a phone. The camera is only an added feature which is nice to have but not a necessary. Technology changes, advances are made, and the iPhone is simply another move forward and in years to come we will look back once again and realize that Apple did it again (they introduced Bill Gates to the idea of Windows, introduced the first personal computer with a mouse and much much more), ohh and they have the more stable OS out there. There is a major chance happening and as reported on Sky News yesterday, Apple is now worth more that Google!!!!

Having said that there is flaws in the iPhone, and improvements to be made, but most of these will occur with software updates... That's how Apple works, give the people a little now and give them more for free later.

Strange as it may seem, I use the iPhone for much more that any other mobile I ever had.

5. Mistress Watchful

Professional Dominatrix
    Basingstoke
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I agree sissy sophie... depends what you want the phone for.

My preferences when buying a phone:
    1) does it come in pink (drives the sales guys nuts this one!)
    2) is it a "show off" piece (why I now own a Blackberry - it's not pink, but I intend to bling it)
    3) can I customise it (to pink backgrounds, etc, etc)

I have a camera, I have an iPod... I don't want (or expect) my phone to replace them, and now that I've moved back to paper diary (it's pink, and I just love Filofaxes) I don't need my iPaq.

I do love the swishy things that happen on iTouch things... that's cute. :xd:

6. Mistress Watchful

Professional Dominatrix
    Basingstoke
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Ooooppsss... rambled a bit off topic!

7. sissysophie

sissysophie Member

Local Time:
    I hear what you are saying.

My iPhone is Pink however! well with the rubber cover on it :tongue:

8. Mistress Michelle

Mistress Michelle Magical Mistress

Local Time:
    2:32 AM
    What happened to the days when you had a cell phone simply to use as a phone? I am way behind....My phone only makes calls and of course recieves calls, no music, no internet, no camera, and no video! I dont think I have the patience to learn how to use a phone that does all this stuff
    Mistress Michelle

9. PuppyMaster

PuppyMaster Puppy Master

Local Time:
    I hear the nokia N96 is gonna be pretty good, I wouldnt have an iphone as i think the contract is a bit poo for it in the uk

10. chloe.2b

chloe.2b Gurl

Local Time:
    11:32 PM
    the canada contract for the iphone is "le crap". I haven't done that much reading up on it (some but not alot) and for what the cost of the phone and the plan is here in canuck-land, it's not yet worth it.

Device Pricing:
    $199 8GB and $299 16GB for new activations and qualified upgrades with existing 2 or 3-year agreements.

Consumer Data Plan (must be added to qualified voice plan):
    $30 - Unlimited Data (E-mail/Web), includes Visual Voicemail when subscribed to any voicemail service.

Voiceplan is around $15-$30
    Voicemail bundle (caller id, etc) $10

our "System Access Fee" of $6.95

And you can see that after tax you'd be paying over $75/month. (this is a CONSERVATIVE estimate, too!)

I like the phone, looks cool, has neat features, but honestly, I pretty much use my phone to text msg occasionaly aside from calls.

11. chloe.2b

chloe.2b Gurl

Local Time:
    11:32 PM
  12. PuppyMastersPet

PuppyMastersPet Long term member

Local Time:
    I'm a nokia gal always will be. Don't like the look of the iphone much. I've got the Nokia N73 which pretty much has all the same features for less money.

13. xcitex2

xcitex2 Back from the past!

Private Security.
    Kentucky
    Local Time:
    1:32 AM
    Sorry for the delay on this as I have been on vacation. I am a iPhone owner myself and absolutely love it! While it is not the 3G version I am not missing anything as the ATT network in my area is not yet compatible with the 3G system. However it really is a small computer in your hand. Now with the addition of the third party software there is soooooo much that can be done.

14. Burger_01

Burger_01 Chastity Geek

Local Time:
    4:32 PM
    I used to be nokia. They let me down big time with the 6280. It had major firmware issues from the start and after two years (standard sort of contract length here in aus) it stopped receiving incoming calls. Everything went straight to voicemail.

This was the catalyst to go looking for a new phone. I couldn't bring myself to get another nokia, the last was so disappointing.

15. sissysophie

sissysophie Member

Local Time:
    Ultimately you have to be happy with the product that you purchase. That said I wasn't a fan of Apple products a few years ago, but after using my Mistress laptop I was blown away. It simply just worked unlike the windows which I used to have to configure every time I plugged into a network. Having said that even windows runs better on the MAC system that a dedicate machine. Go figure.

As for the look of the iPhone, you are either going to love or hate it. It is just so refined I can't resist it.

16. tightlockup

tightlockup Junior Member

Local Time:
    1:32 AM
    I love my original iPhone. I too don't live in a 3g area. But even with any fault or shortcoming it might have, I can't fathom going anywhere without it. I ended up buying a MacBook because of it and I am thrilled with it too.

Once Macs started using Intel processors, they turned the corner.

17. sissysophie

sissysophie Member

Local Time:
    They turned the corner before then (OS X), just most people didn't notice.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice