Instant messengers

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by LockedGreg, Oct 13, 2019.

1. LockedGreg

LockedGreg Long term member

Local Time:
    2:26 AM
    Do you all know of any good instant messaging apps I can use with my wife/kh? I'm thinking along the lines of something that'll keep pictures private and behind a pin/password.

2. Kel Ford

Kel Ford Active member

Local Time:
    wickr

LockedGreg likes this.
  3. Rkve1

Rkve1 Locked and (just about) OrgasmFree since 1-16-2020

New York
    Local Time:
    I like Telegram. Either "secret" chats that are direct point to point and encrypted or, if you want, normal chats that are also encrypted but stored on a server that let's you way join the chat from your phone and from your computer.

EventuallyTamed and LockedGreg like this.
  4. piet00

piet00 Active member

Amsterdam
    Local Time:
    8:26 AM
    Also my vote for Telegram which I use with my new woman who will maybe become my KH.
    Telegram has encryption, secret chats and the option that if you delete a message it gets deleted on both ends.
    Additionally the sender of a message can send timed messages, which will be shown on the proposed time and it's also possible to send silent messages (no alert when received).
    Additionally you might want to install something like Life360 so that your keyholder does always know where you are and gets alerts if you leave or enter certain areas.

Piet

5. Devoted Hubby

Devoted Hubby Long term member

Househusband
    Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, England.
    Local Time:
    7:26 AM
  6. Rkve1

Rkve1 Locked and (just about) OrgasmFree since 1-16-2020

New York
    Local Time:
    Signal is definitely a good choice too. Just havent used it myself.

7. Wonderlust

Wonderlust Active member

Local Time:
    Google hangouts?

8. Joan.t

Joan.t Long term member

Part time Mistress
    Rio de Janeiro
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    3:26 AM
  9. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    Nothing in our digital era is secret, you can use a pass protected chat app but it will as simple as installing a keylogger on the phone to get the pass, it is not that hard, in fact many apps anyone has installed already has the keylogger so you only has to check inside their database

Besides the thumbnail will not be pass protected even if the original photo is, thumbnails are like a cache, the access need to be fast to display as quick as posible the info on the screen, because they are generated by the OS and not by the app is something you wont be able to control, the OS will store all of that in "private" folders but they can be accessed without much efort

So dont believe that because you are using a military security app you will be safe as it is not true

10. piet00

piet00 Active member

Amsterdam
    Local Time:
    Hello Juan,

Can you give some examples for apps which are available through IOS/Android App stores and which have a keylogger installed?

Regarding Telegram:

From the FAQ:
    Q: So how do you encrypt data?
    We support two layers of secure encryption. Server-client encryption is used in Cloud Chats (private and group chats), Secret Chats use an additional layer of client-client encryption. All data, regardless of type, is encrypted in the same way — be it text, media or files.

"(...) Our encryption is based on 256-bit symmetric AES encryption, 2048-bit RSA encryption, and Diffie–Hellman secure key exchange. You can find more info in the Advanced FAQ. (...)"
    https://telegram.org/faq#q-so-how-do-you-encrypt-data

... and also here ...

"(...) Secret Chats are one-on-one chats wherein messages are encrypted with a key held only by the chat’s participants. (...)"
    End-to-End encryption, private chats
    https://core.telegram.org/api/end-to-end

- Piet

11. Juan.

Juan. Long term member

Computer engineer
    Spain
    Local Time:
    Mostly apps has to do it, it doesnt matter much because they are honest developers who 99.99% of the time doesnt care about what you type. It is needed for example when the app crash, you need exactly what happened before that, key pad included so the only option is to log everything, it is pretty easy to do it and adds little overhead in performance to the app

If you do what Apple/Google tells you to do, well, you may never be able to fix the problem. Imagine the login function of this forum, if the app crashes while login what you will get will be a report saying that the code that fails was the one that log you in to the forum, why it failed is unknow, is your problem to find out what happened. On the other hand imagine i log all and it fails, i get where it fails and what the inputs has been. If i see that the login data was "username", "SELECT * FROM TableUsers WHERE..." i know that fails because the user tried a SQL inject attack so the server rejected and failed, as should be. Now thanks to the data i know that the bug is no bug at all

This extensive logs are needed before the fails happens and are the only thing you have, the most you collect the better. It is normal that you only keep the logs for a week or short periods of time. There are no many more options

But even if you dont do that on your apps and you included the ads services dont you worry that the adds will do for you to provide better adds that you migth click and they not only collect touchs and keys, they collect much more. You can test it by letting the phone on your desk idle and not touching while speaking something new to the phone, lets say you need a new calc or to change the tires of your car, when you use the phone next the adds will be calcs or tires

The keylogger is native, it is not an add or plugin you put, every thing you do on your phone triggers an event, the OS ask who cares about that and they can be many services interested, every key or gesture you make/touch launch that event, when you receive the event is as simple to logg what happened and most apps has to listen to that events as it is how we interact with the phone, that's for example how the quick access works, you are in an app, you touch the power button in a way that it has to launch the camera and what happens really is that the OS tells to all things on the phone that this happened, the proper one will noted it and launch the camera app, all apps are listening and can log if they want

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice