Security screw vs lock and key?

Discussion in 'Mature Metal' started by Madamebellestoy, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Which is your preference?

1. Lock and key

45 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Security screw

90 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    1:16 AM
    Mature Metal uses #8-32 UNC indeed, but that is an "imperial" thread, not metric.
    The "UNC" means Unified National Coarse (in this case 32 threads per inch) as opposed to UNF (Fine, 36 TPI)

Anonymouse41169 and boisub like this.
  2. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    8:16 AM
    My Lady assures me niether the screw nor a lock would get worn out quickly.

bondinchas and Love&Passion like this.
  3. boisub

boisub Inaccessible member

Northwest US
    Local Time:
    2:16 AM
    That simplifies the length conversion. Thanks for the clarification!

4. satyr_returns

satyr_returns Active member

IT Manager
    Philadelphia, PA
    Local Time:
    4:16 AM
    The screw is a little devilish to line up. Especially if you have to use mineral oil (or other lube) on your shaft to coax it through the ring or into the cage.

I find I need to use the padlock just to line up the holes. I push the lock through (but don't lock it); then pull it halfway out. That gives me a clear shot at starting the screw in. Once the screw is in halfway, I remove the padlock and lock myself up.

I tried putting the padlock on, and it was very bulky (and sharp cornered). So I very much prefer walking around with the screw option. If and when I have a keyholder, and she prefers the padlock for the symbolic reasons, I will adapt.

5. boisub

boisub Inaccessible member

Northwest US
    Local Time:
    2:16 AM
    A mini headphone jack works well for lining up the holes too. Then it can be slid out as you begin inserting the screw from the other side

6. KittensProperty

KittensProperty Kitten's Happy Property

Retired (Twice) 20 yrs Marine and 22 yrs Mail Man
    Texas Hill Country
    Local Time:
    3:16 AM
    Coming up with an alignment pin shouldn't be hard. A #8 screw is 5/32" in diameter. That is the outside diameter of the threads so the pin would have to be smaller that that, maybe 1/8".

As to the option of screw or padlock we have a problem deciding. The arguments that the screw is less bulky, lighter and friendlier to the touch from both skin and clothing are all valid points. On the other side is the fact that when we are alone it is CFnm and the wife likes the sound of the lock clicking against the cage when I walk. There is also a mental aspect for me upon hearing the click when she snaps the lock closed!

From reading this thread it appears that the non tapered screw can be removed and a padlock will fit in the hole when wanted. I will have to confirm that with MM.

7. satyr_returns

satyr_returns Active member

IT Manager
    Philadelphia, PA
    Local Time:
    I have been wearing the Queen’s Keep for a while now, and have the screw, so I can give you some perspective. I am self-locking and make my own decisions. I am currently doing Locktober and will finish out the month.

Lining up the hole is a challenge, and I appreciate the suggestions. I find I can use the padlock to align everything and pull it halfway out so I can start the screw.

The screw does tend to work itself loose -- the suggestion above of plumber’s tape was exactly the right thing. I applied the tape this weekend and the screw is staying more snugly in place.

I prefer the screw as it is streamlined under the clothes. I have not gone many places with the lock in place, but it does add a tiny bit of bulk.

I went to a party this weekend -- a very private party where I knew I would almost certainly be exposed at some point. So I switched over to the padlock for the night. I thought anyone who wanted to admire the cage would be more excited at the visual delight of the lock. I bought a file and quickly filed down the sharp corners (very easy to do). (I did have someone hold my keys -- on her person -- for the evening)

The lock does not sit loosely, so does not bounce and click the way it does on other devices. It is quite snug. So if you’re looking for the bounce you might be disappointed. But I did like that there was something there to see. (one woman was exploring a bit and realized that there was an actual lock on me and she didn’t have full access -- she expressed some disappointment herself).

If you can afford the screw option, I would go for it, knowing you can switch it up. I wear the screw pretty much full time. If I had a keyholder I would probably wear the lock around the house, to better show my status; and would wear the screw when leaving the house for better discretion.

8. Kept4her

Kept4her Member

Dallas, Texas
    Local Time:
    3:16 AM
    We discussed the problems I had with the screws. One problem I had was the fact any auto parts or hardware store has a set of bits for security screws. I am one that "if I can escape easily" it takes away the element I need. Thus, we picked the Steelworxx since would be more difficult. Yes I know, I could pick the lock, but I am not good at that. lol. walking into a hardware store and spending 4.95... well...

9. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    1:16 AM
    Really? Where do you find a driver for either the Mature Metal or the Lori security screws? They are unique to these manufacturers. Nothing like the common "tamper proof" designs (hex pin, torx pin, spanner, etc....)

10. denyme_57

denyme_57 New member

retired
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Local Time:
    My advise is to go with the security screw. My first device was a CB and my wife complained about the edges of the lock when I held her at night. Other issues with the lock that you should consider is that it sticks out further and is

11. denyme_57

denyme_57 New member

retired
    London, Ontario, Canada
    Local Time:
    Sorry accidently hit wrong button and didn't edit above in time.

My advise is to go with the security screw. My first device was a CB and my wife complained about the edges of the lock when I held her at night. Other issues with the lock that you should consider is that it sticks out further and is harder to hide with clothes. As well the lock banging against the post of the ring can make noise.

When I first ordered a MM device I got the security screw but did not select the option to have the hole on one side of the cage countersunk. The advantage to doing this is if you still not sure whether you want to use the lock or the screw you can use either. We both preferred using the screw. The problem with this is the head of the screw is on the outside of the cage and can be easily be removed with a pair of pliers or vice grips.

I later sent my device back to MM to have it make the cage and the gap smaller. I also had my ring upgraded to the double ring. When I sent it back I also had them countersink one side of the cage where the screw goes. The advantage of this is that the screw head is no longer sitting on top of the cage and cannot be accessed with pliers to remove. I also makes it much easier to line up the cage and the hole in the post to put in the screw.

I have never had any issues with screw on my cage coming loose. MM can fix this, however a simple fix would be to put a small piece of plumbers tape on the threads of the screw. Some of the tape will stay in the threads even after taking the cage off again. At worst you might have to add a small piece of tape every couple of months but the tape will prevent the screw from coming loose on its own.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice