Servitude

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Mascara^Snake, Jul 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    12:25 PM
    servitude
    ˈsəːvɪtjuːd/
    noun
    noun: servitude

1. 1.
      the state of being a slave or completely subject to someone more powerful.
      "you've got thousands of years of peasant servitude to make up for"
      synonyms: slavery, enslavement, bondage, subjugation, subjection, domination; More
      literarythraldom;
      historicalserfdom, vassalage
      "Indian slaves were bought and sold and kept in servitude"
      antonyms: freedom, liberty
    2. 2.
      Lawarchaic
      the subjection of property to an easement.
    Origin

late Middle English: via Old French from Latin servitudo, from servus ‘slave’.

If you have a loan or are in debt to the bank or a corporation then you are in servitude.
    if so then you have, in actuality, sold the rights to yourself.

Is this classed as findom?

filltee and winstonmacgregor like this.
  2. guest 2942

guest 2942 Long term member

Local Time:
    7:25 AM
    I would think in the context of male chastity the servitude would be willing and therefore not a financial gain or loss. You could make the argument over time spent serving but again if its a willing participant then I dont see it as findom. Also most likely no money is being exchanged.

3. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    If you are in debt to a bank or financial institution then technically you are enslaved by them.
    They have financial dominanace over you.
    if you are in such "Debt bondage" or "Bonded labour" then surely it's the same as Financial domination or "Findom"?

The debtor becomes a "paypig" to the institution they have borrowed from which enjoys an income from the debtee.

"Paypig
    In the realms of BDSM, a paypig is a submissive, almost always male, who has consented to financial servitude towards his Mistress. Term used in a derogatory/humiliating light, usually by Mistresses."

4. Cuckster

Cuckster Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    LOL no.
    They provide you a service for which you pay them in arrears.
    I provide my employers a service for which they pay me in arrears.
    So by your rationale my employer is enslaved by me.
    Utter rubbish.

lockit likes this.
  5. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Erm, your employer is not enslaved by you. They are in fact using you to make money.

Furthermore, you're actually wrong because a findom does provide a service.

I think a major difference is that a findom would not see you out on the street whereas a bank would.
    Unlike a findom, a bank has no consideration at all for your personal well being so in a way you are in a worse position being paypig to a bank than you would a findom.
    After all you can always back out of the arrangement whereas that isn't possible with a financial institution like a bank.

Goddess Gaia likes this.
  6. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @Cuckster if you are struggling to understand the concept then here is a little animated film to help you to get to grips with it:

7. Cuckster

UK
    Local Time:
    LOL and in exchange for your services, you also make money.
    Nobody is enslaving anybody, as previously pointed out.

Don't recall even mentioning Findom. I think you're a bit confused

You can't seriously be confused as to why a contract between individual and institution differs from a contact between two individuals, surely.
    Although it really does seem like you can. Wow.

lockit likes this.
  8. Cuckster

UK
    Local Time:
    OMG Please don't attempt to pass off Grignon as education and expect to be taken seriously.

lockit likes this.
  9. Goddess Gaia

Goddess Gaia Looking for a Good boy in Phildelphia
    Verified Female

Healing the world with Love
    Philadelphia, PA
    Local Time:
    Wow, such manners.

10. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    And understanding

11. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    When you take on debt then you are now providing an income for the debtor.
    You become what's known in the BDSM world as a paypig or cash cow for the debtor.

This can mean that you are unable to do as you wish with your life any longer and will have to go to work.

I'm really not sure how this can be interpreted in any other way.

12. Digital

Digital Aspiring Gentleman

IT Analyst
    Hampshire UK
    Local Time:
    There are certainly some rude and mindless comments on this thread.

The subject of finance is an area people feel vulnerable and get very defensive about. A lot of us struggle to juggle our financial commitments. It makes us blind and irrational.

I believe what @Mascara^Snake was pointing out is that we are slaves to the system. In order to pay off our debts and our bills we need to work hard. Then we are lucky enough to enjoy some of lifes luxuries and rewards.

13. LesterBallard

LesterBallard Long term member

Management
    United Kingdom
    Local Time:
    On the surface, there's something to be said for this argument. However, it takes two leaps of logic to reach its conclusion.

Firstly, the key point about the second definition is that it is archaic, ie no longer a currently accepted usage. The root meaning changes over time. It's much like banknotes, which are essentially only promissory notes and not money in themselves. They only indicate that the bank "promises to pay the apppropriate sum". No-one now, though, would deny that the note itself is regarded as the actual currency. So, while being in debt to a bank or institution might once have led to an easement on property, thereby giving a sense of servitude, this is no longer considered the case. It is merely a financial transaction.

And this leads to the second leap of logic. Because there is some financial liability on the part of one person to the bank or institution, this liability is akin to findom. But that's not the case. In findom, the actual transaction - the exchange of money - is the point. With a bank, this is not the case. You don't take a bank loan in order to feel a sense of indebtedness or subjugation or any of the other reasons why men (mostly) engage in findom activities. You take a bank loan for a specific purpose, to buy something or whatever. That purpose is usually missing in findom. The act of giving money itself is all.

An interesting question. And (some of it) has been an interesting discussion.

14. Cuckster

UK
    Local Time:
    But the essential point you are failing to identify is that you also gain.
    No sane person takes on debt for no reason.

This is a ridiculous statement. All examples are nothing more than contracts of mutually beneficial exchange.
    Clearly you have some sort of revolutionary panacea in mind for the world as an alternative, wherein the concept of free trade is rendered obsolete and irrelevant.
    I'd love to hear you explain how that will work.
    Please don't just quote Grignon again though. His risible ramblings contained nothing new 20 years ago and were already debunked before they were even published.
    Ill conceived self-glorifying rhetoric for hard-of-thinking conspiracy theorists. Nothing more.

lockit likes this.
  15. paulie slave

paulie slave Locked house husband

House Husband
    Scotland
    Local Time:
    I clean my bank manager's house in a maid uniform. He thinks it was his idea but actually I tricked him into it.

Cuckster likes this.
  16. Cuckster

UK
    Local Time:
    Hmm so are you his slave, or is he yours?
    @Mascara^Snake care to enlighten us all?

17. Sarah8

Sarah8 My husband holds my collar and I hold his key

Teaching
    USA
    Local Time:
    In America living in debt is like the thing to do. Either you spend your life living off the generosity of others or doing without. Most of us don't have the connections to live off of others and our system is setup to encourage you to go into debt in order to prosper.

You need car loans to go to work, then education loans to hopefully find higher paying jobs, then a home loan for a place to sleep. Usually all this debt is paid off before you die but even if you manage your debt poorly and don't accomplish that worth goal you've probably paid enough in interest to cove it.

We are so used to being in debt that we usually don't even consider home an auto loans as debt, just a fact of life. I think that's reserved for credit cards and cash loans.

Also I'm pretty sure @Cuckster works for the banking industry lmao. Call it whatever you like yes the banks provide a service I need and willing seek out. Doesn't change the fact that I still feel like I'm being fucked.

subhubandy and iome343 like this.
  18. Cuckster

UK
    Local Time:
    I don't actually, and I'm not an accountant or economist or anything like that either.
    Every once in a while these same tired tin-pot conspiracy theories get dug up, reheated in the microwave and do the rounds again as the emperors new clothes.

Another way to look at the rest of your post is that debt is a tool which allows you to improve the quality of life for yourself and your loved ones.
    Yes, there is a cost associated with that. No such thing as a free lunch. But all things considered, you gain from it far more than you lose in real terms.

But like any other tool ultimately you must assume responsibility for how you use it.
    If I cut my leg off with a chainsaw, most likely it isn't the chainsaw's fault.

Gigaman and maid_carrie like this.
  19. maid_carrie

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    Exactly @Cuckster debt properly managed is a way to turn your income into an asset over time.

And correct @Sarah8 "you to go into debt in order to prosper."

You borrow the capital, buy the asset, and pay the debt off slowly, over time. Not good to borrow for a holiday though.

The alternative is that you save up and buy the asset in a number of years time when it is probably more expensive. And in the meantime you are paying for the bus or renting a house - paying the "greedy" landlord. So it is very difficult to save when you have these expenses.

The bank is making a turn on it of course, for providing a service, and it also passes some of the interest paid by the borrower on to those who have deposited the money in the bank. Interest on savings doesn't come out of thin air after all.

Those who have money in the bank should thank the borrowers for paying the interest and those who borrow should be pleased that people deposit money as savings. I know, I know, - there are all other sources of money that banks can lend but that's the simple scenario,

And just to be clear from an earlier post - those that lend money are not debtors. That's the people that borrow :) Don't want people becoming even more confused ;)

For most of us there is a need to have appropriate levels of borrowing as we go through life. The secret is to make it less and less as the years go by.

Her Dividend, lockit and Cuckster like this.
  20. guest 2942

Local Time:
    I think enslaved is the wrong term. You owe them money which you agreed to pay. Other than that they have no control over your day to day life. The cant make you do anything they want. They cant blackmail you into doing other things not agreed upon. You can also just walk away if you want. They will repossess whatever you stopped paying on and you will get marks on your credit but your free to go on with your life. Whereas findom usually involves a type of blackmail so you continue to do as told with no chance of getting out of the agreement. So I see what your saying but I dont think its the same thing. There is no control over your life other than the fact that you have to pay them money every month to satisfy the agreement. If you were truly enslaved by the financial institution then you would have no way of opting out.

lockit likes this.
  21. guest 2942

Local Time:
    while thats all true most people opt for the fancy car and big house they can barely afford. While as financially prudent people could buy a nice car for less then $5k with cash and you can get homes in the city at auction for around $2k-$5k. While most wouldn't want to live in the city it is still a cheaper option. But that wouldn't impress any of your friends lol. I know, i'm guilty of this myself :p

22. Cuckster

UK
    Local Time:
    Which, in the general case, happens naturally because the blend of our skills and experience appreciates in value, as our years in the workplace increase.
    Also because our % equity holding in major asset purchases increases with time, and outstanding balance owing decreases.

As long as you aren't a dick with your credit cards.

Is it a perfect system, no. But IMO such a thing does not exist.
    It's easily the closest thing we have, and far superior to any alternative yet known. Grignon definitely included.

lockit likes this.
  23. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Is there a way of opting out other than paying the amount back in full with the interest?

24. Her Dividend

Her Dividend Junior Member

Local Time:
    4:25 AM
    BANKRUPTCY, walking away, etc.

I do think that Credit Card debt and exorbitant student debt can cripple people for a long period of time.

Most people in the US really have no net worth -- its kind of scary.

Breathe and Digital like this.
  25. Digital

Digital Aspiring Gentleman

IT Analyst
    Hampshire UK
    Local Time:
    Would love to know the secret if there is one. My understanding is if you fail to meet repayments eventually the bailiffs crash your little party to deliver there own brand of humiliation. Not sure I'd enjoy seeing all my treasured valuables repossed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice