Security screw vs lock and key?

Discussion in 'Mature Metal' started by Madamebellestoy, Oct 8, 2017.

?

Which is your preference?

1. Lock and key

45 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Security screw

90 vote(s)
    66.7%
  1. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    2:49 AM
    I have to agree with that. Screws are easier to misplace than padlocks. Regarding the difficulty of screwing it back on: the main problem is lining up the holes in the post and the cage; I wish the MM screw was a tiny bit longer, with a short start taper that allowed one to feel for the correct alignment.

Peter Rabbit and jshackleton2016 like this.
  2. SubHubbyInChastity

SubHubbyInChastity submissive to @Mistress Good Wife

Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania
    Local Time:
    5:49 AM
    I vote screw. When I ordered my MM Jailbird, I didn't opt for the screw. We used the lock that came with my CB-6000. The padlock looked nice, and Miss loves wearing the key on a necklace, but it's jagged and the sharp edges do a number on your panties (if you wear them).

I didn't realize MM used a custom screw. When I ordered mine i opted not to have the screw. We decided within the first month or so, that the lock was not practical for long time wear (in our case). I have a tap&die set that I was able to thread my cage and ring, and we installed our own security screw in my device. Downside is it's a standard torx with post screw. I have a couple bits in my tool chest that fit the screw. One I gave to Miss and the other remained in the garage.

Is the screw less secure? Sounds like in my case, it certainly is. Almost wished I would have had MM install it in the first place, but I had a hard time justifying another $90...

3. bondinchas

bondinchas Long term member

UK
    Local Time:
    10:49 AM
    Whatever the type of head on the screw, if it's not ideal then you could get yourself a different screw and key.
    No need to reject a suitable design/device/manufacturer for an easily replaceable screw .

4. Lakeman

Lakeman Long term member

Australia
    Local Time:
    7:49 PM
    I won’t use anything without an integrated lock, no jangling of the padlock, and no fiddly screw. Quick and easy to put on and take off. Even in the cheap Chinese cages the integrated locks are of good quality.

5. PouchPantyLover

PouchPantyLover Long term member

Hawaii
    Local Time:
    11:49 PM
    I am a screw supporter for the simple reason that I'm a swimmer and I live in a tropical, salty environment. Locks rust shut after a couple of dips in the ocean. Of course as often as I'm getting out I don't think that would matter. ;) I agree that putting the screw in is not easy. My wife tells me to lock up and I do it myself. I've mastered a technique where I can get it on in less than a minute. If you take it off and on alot, it would get old. I'm a once a week to shave guy and that's no big deal. I think if your key holder likes to lock you for effect, the screw might not be for you.

Rectrix likes this.
  6. Lakeman

Lakeman Long term member

Australia
    Local Time:
    7:49 PM
    I agree with the problem of padlocks rusting. The integrated locks are brass though, no rusting problems.

Rectrix and Nicoftime like this.
  7. Codester

Codester New member

Machinist
    Vancouver, BC, Canada.
    Local Time:
    A cage
    Made out of Tungsten would be bad. Tungsten although is a very hard material thus has high penetration resistance (can't be scratched) it also means it is very brittle and could shatter with an applied force. This is typically why when choosing a metal device the best material is the 316 stainless that MM uses. It's hard enough to take a little bit of a beating while retaining enough structural strength to resist force, and also the grade allows it to be "safe" as to not taint your skin colour, is boilable if you wish, ect. Ect. I realize this is an old thread but I was reading through it out of curiosity and felt like sharing. I'm a machinist with a ton of metallurgy knowledge. I could probably make custom devices but unfortunately I lack the time.

8. satyr_returns

satyr_returns Active member

IT Manager
    Philadelphia, PA
    Local Time:
    My biggest worry about choosing the screw is that you cannot get replacements. If you lose them, don't you have to get a whole new device?

9. boisub

boisub Inaccessible member

Northwest US
    Local Time:
    3:49 AM
    I voted security screw when the survey was first posted, but after a few months of full time wear I switched to the padlock and I’m mostly happy with it. The lock can poke, especially when the cage rotates, but hey, if a little discomfort were a barrier, none of us would be here.

10. Turma

Turma Long term member

systemadministrator
    Germany - near Hannover
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    11:49 AM
  11. tqbartleby

tqbartleby Active member

France
    Local Time:
    We use the security screw on a Jailbird because my wife finds the lock clunky and unattractive. To take off the cage and put it back on, my wife hands me the tiny screwdriver, so I'm the one who has to deal with the screw. It can be tricky to line up the holes and fit the screw in, but that's a minor annoyance. I've never been unable to do it.

I find that the trick to making the screw secure is simply to really give it a lot of torque at the end, and then sort of wriggle the screwdriver to disengage it. If you don't do that, the screw can gradually come loose enough to allow sneaky manual unscrewing--although it goes without saying that none us could conceivably seek to take advantage of such a situation!

The screwdriver is the same basic size as a key and can be placed on a chain or keyring. Discreet and intriguing-looking. Perhaps even more likely than a key to get a "say, what is that?" reaction.

Rectrix likes this.
  12. laferrij

laferrij Mistress' symbol

Boston Area
    Local Time:
    The screw is a must. Keeps things tight. I am in the jailbird with the screw. The ”key” has a loop and Mistress wears it daily as a necklace on a chain in full display.

13. PouchPantyLover

PouchPantyLover Long term member

Hawaii
    Local Time:
    11:49 PM
    I got two screws with the JB, but this has never been an issue. Screw it down tight and the only way to take it off is with the custom screwdriver. Besides same can be said of a key.

My wife actually lost one of the two screwdrivers and wanting a back-up I contacted mature metal. I was impressed that they wouldn't sell me a screwdriver unless my KH called and approved it. Left me wondering though, what do they do with self lockers?

Rectrix likes this.
  14. satyr_returns

IT Manager
    Philadelphia, PA
    Local Time:
    Did I read that if you get the security screw you can *still* use a padlock if you want?

15. boisub

Northwest US
    Local Time:
    Yes, unless you ask them to countersink the screw. That makes the shape incompatible with the lock somehow.

16. satyr_returns

IT Manager
    Philadelphia, PA
    Local Time:
    If it can perform double duty it is worth getting. I am nervous about the screw option but if you can always convert to a straight padlock then there is flexibility

17. boisub

Northwest US
    Local Time:
    Yes, it’s nice to have the option. That was why I decided against getting it countersunk.

18. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    You can also use a lock washer (I recommend one with the teeth on the inside) to secure the crew to reduce the torque needed to lock the screw in. If you have to wriggle the screwdriver loose, you are probably gradually wearing it out...
    OTOH, the lock washer won't work if you have the countersunk version.

tqbartleby likes this.
  19. tqbartleby

tqbartleby Active member

France
    Local Time:
    And the "lock washer" is an option from Mature Metal? i'm glad to know this as I'm considering ordering a slightly resized version of my Jail Bird. I'll look for that option for the new one. Thanks for the tip!

20. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    10:49 AM
    I much prefer the new integrated locks preferably those like the ones used in the Holy Trainer V2. Wholly integrated, with no protrusions to scratch or scrape ones partner or shred your clothes and bedding. The keys do seem to be unnecessarily long though.

The screws well I'm reasonably confident in many if not most cases I could open those though I believe the ones employed by Lori are not easily opened without the intended key.

Rectrix likes this.
  21. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    A lock washer is a standard item you get at a hardware store. If I remember right, the MM screw threads are 8-32 so the proper washer is a #8.
    Now if you are not in the USA, you might have trouble procuring hardware like that ("imperial" instead of metric).
    When I get home tonight, I'll try to look up a metric equivalent...

tqbartleby likes this.
  22. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @tqbartleby A lock washer with internal teeth is called "rondelle frein a denture interieure" in France. An M4 lock washer should fit (snugly) over the 8-32 screws used by Mature Metal.

tqbartleby likes this.
  23. tqbartleby

tqbartleby Active member

France
    Local Time:
    Many thanks for the custom service!

24. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Those integrated locks are Burg Wachter ME/2 mortise locks (or poor quality Chinese knock offs). They only have 3 tumbler pins, so the number of possible key variations is fairly limited (even more so in the case of the lousy tolerance knock-offs). The design does not seem to have any features to make the lock pick-resistant. Since the lock is all brass, it can be easily destructively defeated by a drill.
    Mind you, most padlocks small enough to fit on chastity cages are not much more complex and can usually be forced open by brute force using a mere screwdriver shaft.

The "security screws" used by Male Chastity Now have standard "security hex" heads that one can find a bit for just about anywhere. I believe they do have a higher security option where the screw can be further secured with a cable seal.

The screw heads used by Mature Metal are a proprietary design with a center pin and a mostly cylindrical hole with 3 small flats. You can't buy anything that fits off the shelf. Some variations of flat size and positioning are possible, but given symmetry I observed on mine, I suspect they have just one key that is used for everyone. Unless you order the countersunk option, the screw head, although rounded, can be grabbed with small pliers (that's mildly risky as slipping off and poking oneself is a distinct possibility).
    If you have access to metal machining tools, though, making a key copy is reasonably easy (e.g. this)

The Lori security screws have a more complex head design with tiny ridges at odd angles. It looks very much like the Key-Rex from Bryce Fastener (if it is an actual Key-Rex, I wonder how they got past that company's rumored sanctimoniousness about selling to companies they judge kinky). That design allows many key variations. All Loris screws are countersunk so pliers attacks don't work.

Peter Rabbit and boisub like this.
  25. Charleston

Charleston Active member

Machinist
    South west Louisiana
    Local Time:
    4:49 AM
    Has anyone using the security had a screw gall? Since it is stainless on stainless I would think that the odds of this happening would be high.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice