Veteran's Day in the US

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Vinny, Nov 10, 2017.

1. Vinny

Vinny Locked up again. Starting year 6.

Local Time:
    12:22 AM
    The following rang true for me and I did even realize what an effect the Vietnam war had on me. I have moved 13 times, few friends, distance myself from people who I think may die soon, sounds, smells and songs bring me back to that time, and most of the other stuff applies to me and I did not know it until now. Hope no one objects. I was stationed where Agent Orange was most concentrated. Who knows what more is to come. If I had a child I would have told him never to volunteer to join a war because they are started by old men whose lives are not on the line.

Pietje12 and Mascara^Snake like this.
  2. Madamebellestoy

Madamebellestoy Long term member

Local Time:
    9:22 PM
    Thank you for your service vinny. I have the utmost respect for the men and women that put on the uniform no matter what branch and no matter where they send you. May I say that what I have read of your threads and posts you seem honest straight, forward, and are a pillar in this great country.

I salute you sir

Cheers to you, yours and the ones that didn't make it home.

Penney and thundar like this.
  3. Madamebellestoy

Madamebellestoy Long term member

Local Time:
    9:22 PM
    And yes the people that start the wars are usually to chicken shit to ever fight in them.

madbdsm likes this.
  4. Vinny

Local Time:
    Thank you. I was spit on when I came home from Vietnam. People do not realize that you do not have to agree with the war to fight but you fight for the guy next to you. We never thought we were liberating anyone. We knew the US was not willing to do what it took to win, but we fought to protect each other so we could all go home to our loved ones. In my case, my loved one was cheating on me. Casualty of war, but the best thing that ever happened to me. I would never have met my wife had anything been different. Life is funny like that.

Madamebellestoy likes this.
  5. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    5:22 AM
    Loving the new Avatar Vinny, a favourite pic of mine for so many reasons. I would have congratulated you on it elsewhere with an explanation but you seem to have made it impossible for anyone to write or chat to you or comment on your profile.

You know, I've often wondered if there should also be a global day of commemoration for all those countries around the world who had been invaded by the US?

soviet-monuments-vandalized-look-like-american-superheroes-2.jpg

madbdsm likes this.
  6. Vinny

Local Time:
    I worked in Florence for a few years on and off and the Uffizi as well as all the other places with artwork were my favorite way to kill time. I even ended up bringing my wife there and she was shocked that I knew my way around without an map since the City was built that way on purpose to thwart enemy armies. Where would I be without Venus. I even took my wife to the Roman forum where the house of the Vestal Virgins once stood. I heard the ground rumble. :) It did ran when I set foot in St. Peter's Square for real.

I will check my settings. I usually start off with everything turned off because of too many requests for dick pics or details to masturbate to. I think I can open it to friends and will do so if I can.

madbdsm and Madamebellestoy like this.
  7. Vinny

Local Time:
    Or those that invaded the U.S. like the Brits, French and Mexicans. ;) The Mexicans got their revenge by flooding our nation with drugs. The French all went to Canada and watch our TV stations for free, and the Brits gave us fine dining and modern dentistry. :)

Mascara^Snake likes this.
  8. SubVerity

SubVerity Still the mansion's fairy godmother. ;)

London
    Local Time:
    No-one invaded the US - it wasn't the US when we all arrived. If anything Texas and much of Nevada was Mexico.

Either way - I'm glad you lived to tell the tales, and glad that you're here.

9. Vinny

Local Time:
    Just kidding and the victors always get to write the history books. :) I was always fascinated in my world travels. 21+ countries in all and listening to their side of history. When I was sitting in someone's home in Germany and heard them talk about how proud they were of their grandfather who bombed England, it was very surreal to see their viewpoint of the war.

I worked for a British company by the name of Rush and Tompkins for years and teasing was very popular among us. I got a few guys hooked on Las Vegas. I loved living and working in London. To see the shrapnel scars of the old buildings reminded me of what the people there endured. In NYC there are too many new buildings. No real history like Europe. I did not like warm beer and I tried to like it. At the time, pubs were closed until the late afternoon and closed at midnight.

10. thundar

thundar Member

Professional
    East Coast
    Local Time:
    Regardless of all other considerations pro or con, take time to thank all Vets for their service. All gave some........some gave all

11. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    11:22 PM
    My father did three tours of duty on a riverboat. I have thanked him every year since I was 12. He doesn’t speak of it often, and when he does it is usually a funny story (yes apparently there were good times too).

Anyway, what struck me about your post vinny was fighting for your brother beside you. For certain the bonds created last a lifetime, my father has said he would like to see the guys he served with.

Thank you for your service @Vinny

12. Pietje12

Pietje12 A champion was a contender who refused to give up.

Local Time:
    6:22 AM
    I salute you sir. I was young too, naive and convinced I could make a difference. That I could make the world a better place. I volunteered.

I was wrong, so wrong. I'm not encouraging my children to make the same choice either. It's sad that we're being judged by people who refused to step forward and refuse to accept that war makes people do horrible things, far beyond one's imagination.

Penney likes this.
  13. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    Its manipulation really, they know that even if we believe in the cause the desire to fight for it will soon pass when the casualties start. So they condition us then turn us into mates or buddies knowing that we will go where they say without dissent even if we have questions, then we will fight for each other because that is all we have and all that really matters. Those we lost, its true they are forever young and don't forget to add to that; the resentment we feel for those that sent us for their reasons never diminishes.

14. Pietje12

Local Time:
    I don't know. I made a choice and I'm still proud of my motivation back then. I tried and I know that people who weren't there have an opinion about me. I have an opinion too. It is about @Vinny: you rock.

15. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    Life decisions should really be all based on making informed choices.

When you join the military at the age they let you in you choice is far from informed.
    You can become informed and by then you are already in.

16. Vinny

Local Time:
    Humor made living possible. The practical jokes we played may seem crude and dangerous in today's light but they served a purpose back then. I used to pick up the new guys from the rear and take them out to the field. I have them a day orientation and issued them weapons and a can of yellowish rust retardant. I explained it was to keep their weapons rust free in the humid jungle conditions they were living in. Of course you can guess what that yellow liquid was.

One other thing was to spray bug spray in one of the wooden hootches we lived in and that would drive out hundreds of giant roaches from inside the walls. Had to keep a sense of humor or you ended up like a friend of mine from the midwest. A guy so naive that he refused to believe there was gay sex in prisons. He went home a heroin addict.

I used to be a magician before entering the Army and the medics were conscientious objectors and needed armed protection. I fully understood their beliefs but they were putting my life at risk because they did not want to protect themselves. Sometimes I felt like letting God take care of them. The North Vietnamese would usually kill or maim the people we treated and despite that, our fearless leaders kept sending us out. I used to entertain the kids with magic but when I gave them something to hold, they thought I was giving it to them as a gift and I did not have the heart to take it back. I ran out of tricks in a matter of weeks. Plus we got attacked for treating the villages and it was just me and a friend with rifles against 50 Viet Cong so we decided we should leave and did.

I was told that I always kept my sense of humor no matter what. Since everyone there was either stoned or drunk, sometimes both, there are a lot of funny stories to tell.

17. Nicoftime

Nicoftime The suspense is terrible...I hope it lasts

Railroad
    South of Lacrosse Wisconsin
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    11:22 PM
    Yes I heard some “colorful” stories that even not being there , had still made me laugh. Funny stories about the local kids, misunderstandings, hell even hookers fighting each other with razors over who was getting the GI.

Humor I imagine was what kept your brain from realizing what danger you are in, defense mechanism.

Again I thank all those that served and do serve...I know I didn’t and hope my son never has to. I know that’s terrible, but I remember my father pulling me aside one day and told me to promise him that would never join the service. I agreed but asked why, he said because I love who you are now, war changes you. The gulf war had started and I had actually thought about enlisting to get on the GIBill for college.

18. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:

Just love this tune!

19. Pietje12

Local Time:
    Don't underestimate the power of music. I can't even stand in the shadow of Vinnie, but I can't listen to Annie Lennox' song Why either. This was my reality. This is a part of a BBC documentary about the area where we served.

20. bethanise

bethanise Long term member

retired
    Massacusetts, USA
    Local Time:
    Thanks for your service, Vinny. I enlisted during Nam as well, but never made it in-country. Spent most of my enlistment in Fort Meade, MD and Karamursel, Turkey working for the NSA and the naval security group.

21. guest 2942

guest 2942 Long term member

Local Time:
    surely you jest? If it wasn't for america most of europe would be speaking german right now. In vietnam we were defending the south from a communistic take over along with australia. We don't invade countries, we defend freedom wherever that may be. Now the war on terror as they call it is kinda fubar lol. Sure we have made mistakes along the way but the causes we support are just. The world cannot idly sit by and watch dictators and facists take over the world. So yes thank you to all of the veterans who served their countries. There is no bigger sacrifice then to put your life on the line for the cause of freedom :)

22. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    That's a nice thought but sadly not true.
    Countries are invaded by the US and for strategic and commercial reasons.
    There are facists and dictators all over the world. And America has some of the worst.
    I think you have a very different view from where you are. The media have made sure of that.
    nevertheless we should remember all those who went to war on behalf of their politicians in good faith.

23. Pietje12

Local Time:
    Please don't divert this thread in this direction. Don't discredit the men and women who put their lifes at stake for what they thought at that time that their contribution would make the world a better place.

lockit and Mistress Jules like this.
  24. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:

I wouldn't discredit them. As I mentioned they belived they were doing the right thing and fighting for their country.
    I just think its time to question future wars and their makers.

Pietje12 likes this.
  25. SubVerity

SubVerity Still the mansion's fairy godmother. ;)

London
    Local Time:
    While I agree with Amanda's statements personally - I would also like this thread to remain that intended by it's OP.

Anything else, please start a new thread.
    Anything else on this one will be placed into a new thread for you, and hidden for a few weeks until the topical nature has altered. Thanks.

Pietje12 and Mistress Jules like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice