Edit time limit

Discussion in 'Site announcements and information' started by horse, Aug 15, 2017.

1. horse

horse Junior Member

Local Time:
    9:35 PM
    There is a time limit on editing of 3 minutes, after that your edit gets binned

Is there an award for the most pointless forum feature?

2. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    Has it taken you 8 years to work that out?

3. horse

horse Junior Member

Local Time:
    I dont post much :)

4. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    5:35 PM
    Mistress Lucy
    I haven't had much need to edit posts. But when I have three minutes is a bit of an annoying time. I'm not sure how that time was selected, or if it was a default. My guess is no one put much thought into it as it's not a high priority for most and those of us who have been annoyed by it haven't said much as it's such a rare thing to edit a post that the few times a short restriction comes into play isn't worth mentioning, bug since the thread is here, I thought I'd over a perspective that may not have been considered.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think having a time limit is bad, in fact I think it's important otherwise threads would make no sense. But increasing the time to five or ten minutes might be something worth considering. It would allow folks a little more time, especially for those of us who have to deal with slow crummy internet connections. Not changing it as said above won't get the natives restless, but a slight adjustment might be a nice thing the next time admins are making other changes to the configure files.

Peter Rabbit and sissybitch like this.
  5. Vinny

Vinny Locked up again. Starting year 6.

Local Time:
    I too would like more time to edit as I get in most other forums. 3 minutes is just not enough time if you need to think about things and rephrase them. I am embarrassed by some of the poor spelling and grammar in some of my posts. At my age you make mistakes and need to think about things before you edit.

I fully understand why there is a short edit time as it would be messy if someone changed their post after 10 people commented on what was originally said. I do not remember if this software shows edits and the reasons for it to help with the problem of changing the whole meaning of the original post. Then sometimes we just vent and later want to soften what was posted and cannot. I have not run into a problem where the original post was so changed that it made the replies meaningless or not make sense, on other forums but I assume it does happen.

Things we post stay around for a very long time and we have no way to delete them or change them over a reasonable period of time. I do not think 3 minutes is reasonable but what is reasonable is always subjective. My chief complaint is that sometimes by the time I re-read my post and think of how to better word it, the time expires while I in the middle of my edit. I cannot think and type that fast at my age. For me, reasonable would be 10 minutes since we are being subjective here. :)

6. sissybitch

sissybitch Long term member

engine development engineer
    north wales uk
    Local Time:
    I totally agree with @Vinny and @tomf_22033 an edit time of 10 minutes would be a lot better , I have an arthritic condition in my fingers which on a bad day can make typing slow and difficult , I always try to make sure I have things right before I hit the post button , but there are times when I have missed something or on re reading would like to change something on these occasions I find working within the current 3 minutes very difficult and would greatly appreciate a little more time to make adjustments

Sublifter49 likes this.
  7. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    Or alternatively... write it and wait 10 minutes, read it again, edit, then post :)

I think 5 minutes would be better myself.

dianna and slave_m like this.
  8. tomf_22033

VA USA
    Local Time:
    Nothing says time limits have to be a nice clean number that is a multiple of five. in fact many systems set timers in seconds or milliseconds.

Anyway 7 or 7 1/2 could be a nice compromise.

Or a better answer might be YES MA'AM 5 minutes is an excellent upgrade over 3.

9. Miles

Miles Member

Local Time:
    I also never realised there was a time limit to edit a post until few days ago, sometimes I have to work a little harder than most to put a reply together and sometimes its only after rereading I realise ... Oops !! ... that doesn't make sense, it did in my head.

I agree with @Vinny as to the reasons why a limit should be set, nevertheless It now kind of makes me think twice before posting, luckily I read better than I write.

10. Vinny

Vinny Locked up again. Starting year 6.

Local Time:
    Please note that I had a long post and wanted to shorten it by deleting a few paragraphs. When I went into edit mode, all I saw was the last paragraph. I could not edit or see anything else. A bug?

11. Joroincharge

Joroincharge Lock em up - 24/7/365!!

England
    Local Time:
    I suggested to Admin extending this a bit some time ago.I forget what amount, about 5 mins I think. I agree 3 mins is too tight.

Peter Rabbit and sissybitch like this.
  12. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    I think the ability to make a quick edit or spelling correction ought be available to the author until they log out.

What about the unrestricted ability to edit and or remove your own posts just being a part of owning your own posts.
    Old posts can reflect no longer help views or opinions or may refer to others in past relationships etc etc

Then again there is the argument that a within a thread a removed post might create continuity issues
    and a removed quoted from post might even cause software issues.... (I'm no IT buff so what do I know)

13. gyrator53

gyrator53 Member

retired academic/consultant
    UK
    Local Time:
    I can see that a time limit helps to prevent a post being edited after a reply. However, CM does not generally see frantic post-reply exchanges so there are going to be few enough cases where this would happen. And, of course, it only becomes an issue if the edit changes the post sufficiently to make the reply look like a non sequitur and that is going to be pretty rare as well.

I don't like forums where there is no time limit as, one one such forum I gave a "robust response" to a personal attack only to have the poster edit their post to be totally bland and then squeal to the mods- lesson there is to always quote such posts in the reply. But of course we never have such unpleasantness here on CM so that should never arise anyway :)

14. Miles

Miles Member

Local Time:
    Just out of interest

How are we getting on with the three minute rule?

15. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Not very well. it's absolutely rubbish and there's no good reason for it.
    If I fail to jump through the wee edit hoop then I generally ask for it to be edited by a mod. Normally they oblige.
    It depends who you ask though, some are too busy making fun of and gossiping about members.

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  16. tomf_22033

VA USA
    Local Time:
    That's horrible. I don't know about you but anyone who gossips and makes fun of people IMHO shouldn't be a moderation. They also don't have any place in this lifestyle.

To me gossips are nothing but cowards who are too chicken s#!+ to say things to peoples faces.

17. Miles

Miles Member

Local Time:
    @Ms.Amanda -- Really, surely you would have thought the Mods doing that could find better ways to occupy their time ... perhaps!!

Maybe one of them might consider doing a little post here once the Edit situation is rectified, it doesn't even have to be a big post, one line will do, even two words would suffice, something along the lines of Edit Extended and then they can get back to doing other stuff.

18. Mistress Jules

Mistress Jules Professional Dominatrix and Owner of Lockit
    Staff Member Administrator Verified Female

Company Director and Professional Dominatrix
    Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Only @Administrator has the ability to change the edit time. It has been put to him but until he returns to the site there is nothing anyone else can do about it at present.

19. lock667

lock667 Long term member

Local Time:
    I'd like a full 10 minutes. One real life scenario: I was posting from my phone on my commute to work, and the data service is spotty in some places, even when the train isn't into a tunnel. By the time I finished a post, and it uploaded to the forum, and I was able to see it there, it was already past the 3 minutes only to see I'd had a typo due to that insipid phone keyboard.

Where's the admin? Has he gone missing or just dark again?

20. Miles

Miles Member

Local Time:
    @Mistress Jules - Thank you

But really wouldn't it be prudent if the Administrator appointed someone to act in his absence, after all, you wouldn't want to buy a Chastity device with only one key.

21. Joroincharge

Joroincharge Lock em up - 24/7/365!!

England
    Local Time:
    Mods have far better things to do than gossip But sometimes a partcular Mod, like any other member, may not be on line for a time. Best just to report it and say why and it'll be picked up by whoever's on. Normally would be OK if reported promptly, unless it would destroy the sense of thread in view of a subsequent reply. In moderation of course: there have been issues in the past with some Mods (not the present ones I hasten to say) editing wholesale, sometimes the same post 6+ times and there were times backalong when this was looking to get out of hand. Not any more,

22. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    It seems that some on this thread have decided to gossip about the moderating team :)

Joroincharge likes this.
  23. Mascara^Snake

Mascara^Snake Banned

Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Don't forget Mistress Lucy that I used to be a mod before I was banned. I know exactly what goes on ;-)

24. Mistress Jules

Mistress Jules Professional Dominatrix and Owner of Lockit
    Staff Member Administrator Verified Female

Company Director and Professional Dominatrix
    Scotland
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    @Miles, as you can see there have been problems before, after that I think @Administrator would be wary having had his fingers burned before. As you say, you wouldn't buy a chastity device and give the spare key to someone who melts it down would you?

25. Miles

Miles Member

Local Time:
    @Mistress Jules - Touche,

Your point is very well made, nevertheless it only highlights a need for a second person with some administrative responsibilities so situations like this can be avoided and if there have been issues in the past with burnt fingers then it is paramount that the administrator choose his second a little more wisely.

How about yourself or Joroincharge,you both seem tenacious in your defence of the mansion and I suspect neither of you would let anything disrupt the integrity of the site.

Forgive me if I am speaking out of turn here and I guess whatever the outcome of this thread is will be made with the benefit of the site as a whole in mind.

tomf_22033 and Mistress Jules like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice