Unexpected encounters with metal detectors/building security

Discussion in 'Journals and blogs' started by SirenSong, Mar 22, 2015.

Random Thread
  1. SirenSong

SirenSong Active member

Local Time:
    1:50 AM
    Wearing this metal device 24/7, I am increasingly concerned that I might unexpectedly get into a situation with co-workers and/or family where we would have to go through a metal detector with everyone else like going into a secured office, museum, school, or governernment building (aside airports where it's commonly anticipated). Anyone caught off guard in one of these situations? It might be good to contribute unexpected places we might encounter them so we can prepare in advanced.

2. wettie

wettie Long term member

Philadelphia, PA
    Local Time:
    12:50 AM
    I had it happen twice last week, luckily they were the wand style detectors, and they assumed it was my belt buckle and let me go, which was pretty sloppy on their part. I was with a coworker and figured if they made an issue of it I would tell them it was jewelry and deal with the consequences of him thinking I had a large piercing. If the cops wanted to take me into a separate room to check I figured there wasn't much I could do except let them have their laughs.

BlueEyes and LockedInLove like this.
  3. thekeyholderwife

thekeyholderwife Active member

Paralegal
    Local Time:
    12:50 AM
    We recently had to go through one and it wasn't a big deal. He set of the detector, they got the wand out and he told them he has piercings. Strang look but we went on through.

1mlockedup likes this.
  4. barbara desmonsche

barbara desmonsche Junior Member

New York
    Local Time:
    i worry about it but i usually know ahead of time if i may end up going somewhere that has a detector. My Wife permits me to switch to the plastic CB2000 with a numbered tag on those days. The plastic device feels so strange after having been locked in a steel one.

5. Kir_S

Kir_S Active member

Moscow
    Local Time:
    8:50 AM
    I was strip searched in Moscow Metro. No fun at all

6. Ormaz

Ormaz Long term member

New York
    Local Time:
    It happened to me at The Jewish Museum on 5th Ave, New York. My keyholder was on a business trip to Florida trip and I decided to fill the spare time with a museum visit. I am so used to being locked that I only remembered it when I set off the alarm when I walked through the portico. Two female guards were on duty on that day. One waved a hand-held detector over me and quickly zeroed in the offending zone. It kept beeping as she waved it over my crotch. I thought of retreating for a second but I thought it might make them suspicious. I decided to wait it out and resigned myself to showing her what I did for my girl if I had to, but she just said, "Do you have metal buttons on your boxers?" I said, yes, matter-of-factly and she let me through. Most museums don't have metal detectors but I believe The National Museum of the American Indian has them too.

thekeyholderwife likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice