Lock Cylinder Opinions

Discussion in 'Badass Workroom' started by ClassyLocked, May 24, 2023.

1. ClassyLocked

ClassyLocked Member

Local Time:
    8:22 AM
    Hi all,

Thinking of ordering a ba-28p sometime soon when orders are being taken again. I'm curious about the 23mm lock cylinders used versus the more traditional 19mm burg-wachter (see image from site attached).

20230228102110_1024x1024@2x.jpg

For those who have a device with the larger lock cylinder; I'm assuming it's custom made in-house? I've not seen it on other devices. How does it feel mechanically? What about durability? Given it's a touch larger/ looks like it has 5 pins instead of 4, maybe harder to pick?

Given the lock is the only thing with moving parts, it's probably the only part that may ever need to be replaced. I'm wondering if it's worth ordering custom sized for the burg-wacther lock instead (apparently it's possible to do so), which would be much easier to replace if ever needed. I'm not sure what to expect the lifespan of a lock like this to be if properly maintained (oiled, etc.)

Thanks

sissy_connie likes this.
  2. Jaxon1023

Jaxon1023 Long term member

Local Time:
    I have it on my PA D lock and in my now BA-31P. On the d lock due to being able to get urine in it and such even with washing in the shower everyday the lock would stick and not turn. I had to add a drop of oil on the key and work it in and out before it would unlock. Grant it I only got to unlock it every couple of weeks. The BA-31P isn’t in the urine stream or anything but I’ve only had it in for a month but so far in the two times it’s been unlocked no issues.

3. WTF15

WTF15 Active member

Local Time:
    6:22 AM
    Personally, I ordered the Burg-Wacther clone lock, as I wanted it to be easy to replace the lock cylinder in the future. I also had him drill a hole in the end of the lock fixture on the ring so I had the possibility to insert a numbered cable seal through the lock mechanism, preventing the possibility of picking the lock. His standard lock mechanism does not have a through hole, so it cannot be used with a cable seal.

4. Vinnyfl

Vinnyfl Active member

Local Time:
    9:22 AM
    After 12 years of chastity and about 20 chastity devices, some with locks that would no longer open, I only use a cage that takes a padlock that I can cut open with a bolt cutter I have just for that purpose. I had a bitch of a time getting out of a Holy Trainer when the lock just turned around and around without moving the end part that locks you in. I had to use a file to cut through it and get free. Took a long time. For padlocks I always use an Abus lock. Never had one fail and I wear my cage in the shower and in the pool. I always want a lock I can cut off with bolt cutters and that is due to a few bad experiences with those cabinet locks sold with most cages. Those locks are not designed for hard use. They are designed to just lock a cabinet door and not heavy use and getting wet.

5. ClassyLocked

ClassyLocked Member

Local Time:
    Yikes, good thing the lock failed in a resin cage and not metal...

I'd guess screws (of proper material) are also probably a better solution, though I'm not sold on the durability of the 3-prong screw head relative to some other security screw designs I've seen

Deleted member 100175 likes this.
  6. WTF15

WTF15 Active member

Local Time:
    6:22 AM
    The Burg-Wacther locks are brass, and it should be possible to drill out the lock without damaging the cage. I have read that it is also possible to use a flat screwdriver to pry on the exposed tab at the far end of the lock, and thus break the brass pins and turn the lock

7. NowIveDoneIt

NowIveDoneIt Long term member

Finance
    Northeast, USA
    Local Time:
    Here is a pic of the two side by side. There is a very noticeable difference in size. I went with the Burg style for a smaller footprint and to be able to change the lock as needed.

Attached Files:

8. CunningSwede

CunningSwede New member

Local Time:
    2:22 PM
    I just went with padlock with hex screw. Seems to be the best of all options imo. Can get a hard(er) to pick padlock, or use seal since it has screw for stability. Am planning to use a zip tie or similar to avoid rattling.

9. Deleted member 100175

I have the larger lock in a BA-28 & no issues (though early days as new on 6 April).

I did buy an original Burg W to replace the supplied smaller lock in a previous Cobra - of the three the larger BAW feels the most substantial & key seems most robust, but I'd be happy with either.

The 3-pin proprietary BAW screw appeared a bit flimsy to me & my GF didn't like the security screw on my Jailbird.

10. ClassyLocked

ClassyLocked Member

Local Time:
    Thanks for the replies/pictures everyone. I'm waffling on a BA-28p vs a MCN Contender... it would be a bit heavier but still pretty light, and a proprietary security screw seems like it would have its perks. Especially since the wait for badassworkroom is so long right now.

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  11. Gapipeman

Gapipeman Member

Southeast US
    Local Time:

That’s what I am useing.

Attached Files:

sissy_connie likes this.
  12. Lockednchastee

Local Time:
    Wait! What kinda seal is that? Every one I've ordered has been too thick. Most are 1.8mm.

Gapipeman likes this.
  13. Gapipeman

Gapipeman Member

Southeast US
    Local Time:
    They’re available on Amazon

Attached Files:

Lockednchastee likes this.
  14. sonhee

sonhee Long term member

Local Time:
    1:22 PM
    I'd go for the Burgwaechter.

Reasons:
    1. Smaller - although the screw is even smaller!
    2. Probably higher quality? Burgwaechter is a well-known brand.
    3. Compatible with lots of other cages.
    4. Related to (3), getting a "pretty" key* for a necklace can be an investment independent of the chastity device

* like from that Dutch manufacturer, I forgot the name, or that cylinder thing BAWR is selling for $50

15. Jaxon1023

Local Time:
    Chastity-shop can make a pretty key for the BAW lock as well. IMG_9147.jpeg

16. spud18

spud18 Active member

Local Time:
    can anyone tell me if those burg-wachter locks, the small ones, are any good ? i only have experience of those that come with cheap Chinese devices, and they are quite useless. They can easily be picked with a paperclip, or even a piece of carboard.

17. Jaxon1023

Local Time:
    It’s the same lock as the Chinese ones you’re getting. I doubt he orders the ones from burg. You could always order one yourself and swap it out when your device arrives.

18. spud18

spud18 Active member

Local Time:
    I gave up with them entirely. I just got a cobalt drill and drilled through and use a pin and padlock.

19. Gigs1256

Gigs1256 Member

United States
    Local Time:
    Don’t read this unless you want a lock pickability and quality review:)

The larger diameter locks that come with a BAW are well made, but seem to only use one or two locking pins. They’re mechanically robust and can handle the stress the cages put on them. Not going to lie, it was the easiest lock I’ve ever picked though- might have taken three seconds. Berg-Wachter is a decent lock, much harder to pick, might take a few minutes. The Abus magnalium locks are good- again maybe two minutes to pick. I’m no expert in picking either- just someone who will remove a lock if it’s easy and convenient. I had to take another route with my BAW cage.

if you can accept that “locked means locked”, the BAW locks are good quality. Padlocks are easier to remove in an emergency though and are more secure. Abus magnalium 64ti/20 are a great size/weight and are reasonably secure- no issues with seizing, but an occasional drop of oil is probably wise.

GrayLion likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice