World Cup 2010

Discussion in 'Off topic discussions' started by Red_Flag_Sam, Jul 7, 2010.

1. Red_Flag_Sam

Red_Flag_Sam Active member

Local Time:
    3:21 PM
    I'm a massive fan of Football (Soccer for our colonial friends!), quite surprised no-one's put a thread up in here before!

Obviously this is coming in quite late in the tournament as one of the teams to play in the Final has already been decided!

Have to admit, this has been a distinctly average tournament. It really seems like every other set of games are bound to be exciting. For example, the first set of group games were something truly awful. 2nd set seemed quite good (in general, not for us England fans!), 3rd was also pretty decent (England actually played well!). With the Round of 16, the first few were pretty decent games (and from a neutral's perspective, THAT game for us against the Germans was pretty decent. All I can say is Russian linesmen, I like. Uruguayan linesmen - not so much). The latter part of the round of 16 was pretty dire though. I took a break from an essay to watch Paraguay Vs. Japan....think writing my essay would have been a lot more exciting. Have to admit, quite like Penalty shoot outs when England aren't involved!

Quarter Finals threw up a couple of surprises. Holland beating Brazil was a big one. But, Holland have been diabolically brilliant this tournament, hardly surprising with players like Arjen Robben and Wesley Sneijder. They have been impeccable this tournament. I was happy with the Netherlands winning that one as I had predicted a Netherlands Vs. Argentina final. Possibly shouldn't have been surprised with the win over Brazil, after all, they only managed to beat North Korea 2-1 when Portugal smashed them 7-0. Plus, I'm not convinced Brazil have been outstanding this tournament, despite having players such as Maicon, Kaka and Robinho in their ranks. Next in my Quarter Finals review - Uruguay Vs. Ghana. I think pretty much everyone in the world was supporting Ghana in that one. A small footballing nation punching well above their weight. Pretty decent game I thought, and in Extra time, Ghana did seem to want it a lot more than Uruguay and just couldn't break through, until THAt header and THAT handball. Now, one of my friends on Facebook said after Suarez's handball that he was a cheat. Thing is, having played as a goalkeeper myself, as well as Centre Back, my first thought is "Keep the ball out of the goal". Most people would probably have done the same thing. Thing is, he got caught, sent off and conceded the penalty. By the letter of the law, there was nothing else the Referee could do. It's really Ghana's John Mensah's fault he crashed it against the crossbar from the ensuing penalty. By the penalty shootouts, I knew Uruguay were going to win. Ghana were heartbroken and dejected and you could tell from some of their penalties - they were truly, truly awful. And this from someone who has seen some fairly epic England penalty defeats. Next, Germany Vs. Argentina. With the likes of Lionel Messi and Carlos Tevez, you really would have at least expected Argentina to score A goal. They didn't even manage that, and Germany stuck 4 past them. It was just ridiculous how easy Germany made the goals look. At times it looked like training ground practice. Although, with Diego Maradona as the coach, it would've been unlikely that Argentina were going to play particularly defensive football. (Quarter) Finally, Spain Vs. Paraguay. Awful. That's about all I can say other than - why doesn't del Bosque leave Torres on the bench for the next game? When he's fit he is outstanding, but he's spent most of last season with Liverpool injured as well as the 6 weeks before the World Cup started. He's clearly not fit enough to make an impact in the World Cup yet. Better of playing Villa up front on his own and starting Fabregas I reckon. Him, Iniesta and Xavi together are amazing.

Semi Finals - only one's been played. Netherlands beating Uruguay 3-2. First and 3rd goal for Netherlands were fantastic. Van Bronckhorst's SCREAMER from about 25 yards, and some absolutely beautiful build up play for the 3rd. Uruguay were complaining that van Persie was offside (which was marginal, if anything) in it. After Suarez's handball, they are in no position to comnplain I feel as some would argue they shouldn't even have been in the Semi Final! Still, Forlan's goal for Uruguay was something special and it makes me wonder why he wasn't able to recreate it at Manchester United. don't really care as I hate Man Utd., just wondered. So, the next semi final, tonight is Germany Vs. Spain. Spain have been average throughout this tournament (apart from the Portugal game) and Germany were inconsistent in the group stages, but have been outstanding in the knock-outs - 8 goals in 2 games. I reckon then that we'll be seeing a Netherlands Vs. Germany final, which will definitely by a feisty affair as there's no love lost there. However, Paul the Psychic Octopus (an Octopus in an Aquarium somewhere in Germany) reckons it'll be Spain to win, and he has not been wrong so far.....also, if I put money on Germany to win, Spain will definitely win....now, what was my Bet365 password and username again....?

2. Red_Flag_Sam

Local Time:
    Well, its over now. My view of the Final: I don't think it was as bad as people seem tot hink. I know it was 116 goalless minutes and the Netherlands were dirty as hell, but I still don't think it was THAT bad. I understand the Duth tactics of stopping Spain play to their strengths, but when they couldn't Spain were VERY good. Played Football properly and were worthy winners. There may have been some issue with the build up to Spain's goal with the "foul" on Elia on the edge of the Spanish box, but after the way the Netherlands had played, they were wishing for a lot I felt! The right team won based on that game as they tried to play Football properly and apart from their first game against Switzerland, the right team overall I felt.

3. cockislocked

cockislocked Senior Member

Local Time:
    Personally, i'm not too fussed over football...However well done Spain but i am gonna get me an octopus and stick 42 numbers in the tank... first six it touches... and i'm a multi millionaire!!!!

4. Spike's Bitch

Spike's Bitch Long term member

Local Time:
    8:21 AM
    Boooo!
    Holland should have won. Just because!

:D

5. Amoroso

Amoroso Open minded :)

Local Time:

6. Pieter84

Pieter84 Junior Member

Local Time:
    5:21 PM
    my wife gave me I choise, I had too choose a winning team, if the one I chose won I could have an ogasm otherwise I had to wait another 2 weeks...
    Holland didnt win so Im in for another 2weeks....

7. submiss258

submiss258 Junior Member

Local Time:
    4:21 PM
    Spain 1 - Karate fighters 0

The best football deserved to win.... Holland team played the dirtiest football I have ever seen.
    The referee saved 2 red cars, 1 penalty and a lot of yellow cards, sho helped oranges to do their kung fu game.
    Viva España!!

8. Red_Flag_Sam

Local Time:
    Based on the tournament, I would have said Netherlands deserved to win as they had won every game and scored plenty of goals along the way. However, based on the Final itself, Spain more than deserved to win it. They looked positive from the off, whereas Netherlands looked edgy and nervous. The Duth were lucky that the only had one player sent off in Extra Time, when arguably De Jong should have gone in the first half (as my mum said, that could have broken a rib). Based on the cup final itself, fully deserved by Spain. My heart goes out to poor Fernando Torres though. I'm not a Liverpool fan, but the poor chap has been plagued by injury this season, was injured 6 weeks before the tournament started and has not been fit at all this world cup. He comes on for about 5 minutes then pulls up injured again. Don't think he'll be in my Fantasy Football team this season, with all the points he's cost me due to injuries!

9. Sissy_Aline

Sissy_Aline Senior Member

Local Time:
    11:21 AM
    Watch the Tour - better sport, and tough, tough, tough. Thank goodness the WC is over. Can't take the dives and crying to the ref. American football is going to training camp soon enough - more fun, more excitement, and they actually score. Cannot believe that there isn't technology to see if a goal is scored at the WC - you have to be kidding. Keep blowing the horns as well. Over and done - whew!

10. Red_Flag_Sam

Local Time:

I was an American Football fan for a while (supported the Patriots as I support any team from Boston/New England). I've been put off it as I don't think it's as fun or as exciting as proper Football. Should point out - not every game is a 0-0 in Football! I prefer Football (oh yeah, when I saw Football, I mean Soccer.) as it keeps going, doesn't have a 40 second break for every 5 seconds of play like American Football and more skill is involved than just running into someone. That said, I'm a huge fan of Rugby as well which I think is a "tougher" sport than American Football as well.

Tbh, I don't think a sport has to involve lots of hits, crashes and thuds to be 'better'. Football is about skill, concentration, stamina, timing, agility and many more. I admit a lot of International players *Cough* Cristiano Ronaldo *Cough* have a habit of diving and then moaning at referees when the decision doesn't go their way. However, I support my local Football team who have just been relegated from England's 2nd division to the 3rd division, which we'd been promoted from the season before. Believe me, the way football is played in the 3rd and 4th divisions is a lot a different to International football. Players fight more for the ball, physical strength is more important etc.. Where International Footballers have great skill, excellent concentration, top stamina etc., lower league players don';t so much, which is why it is more physical. They also have more to play for I think in the League than Premiership players do, unless they are Premiership players for Man Ure, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and maybe Spurs, or for a team that's just been promoted as they try to survive relegation. This is why, I feel Lower League Football is better to watch than International and Premiership Football. That's just personal opinion though.

Sorry, I'm going to stop now. I'm Football mad and it is one of my greatest passions (Politics is another as well :p), and you hit a raw spot there a bit! Sorry! :(

11. maid katrin

maid katrin chaste sissy maid

Home Page:
    Local Time:
    4:21 PM
    It's quite ironic that i am going to answer to a football/soccer question ... *giggle*
    Not that i did join the funny crowds or wore those silly clothes in national colours, but it was hardly possible to escape from the nerving sound of the vuvuzeelas and the national delirium.
    I just wondered if any Mistress gave Her sub the choice whether to stay either in chastity for the whole month and watch the games or stay unlocked and being denied to see the championships.
    IMO it would be quite a funny form of tease and denial ... LOL

maid katrin

12. Dana Fleming

Dana Fleming Junior Member

Semi=retired
    Near Indy
    Local Time:
    Soccer, like watching paint dry.

13. Smaug

Smaug Member

Local Time:
    8:21 AM
    May as well watch Golf, or Bowling.

14. Red_Flag_Sam

Local Time:

You're American, you wouldn't understand! :p.

Personally, I find American Football really really boring. I did like it for a while, but much prefer (PROPER) Football.

Love the Ice Hockey though :D

15. Dana Fleming

Semi=retired
    Near Indy
    Local Time:
    I do understand, people who enjoy watching soccer like watching paint dry, nationality doesn't matter.

16. Red_Flag_Sam

Local Time:
    I was joking.

Though I understand what you're saying based on this World Cup. It wasn't particularly brilliant Football at all. ATM, I'm watching a DVD of 250 Classic Goals from the Premiership here in England. If you saw some of these you would say Football isn't tHAT boring.

17. Dana Fleming

Semi=retired
    Near Indy
    Local Time:
    I could watch it if all they showed were the goals and great saves. There are some awesome athletes playing soccer, too bad they don't have an opportunity to show all their skills.

18. Red_Flag_Sam

Local Time:
    Same with me and American Football (now). I could watch it if they took out all the 40 second breaks in between plays.

Think we'll just have to agree to disagree :)

19. Sissy_Aline

Sissy_Aline Senior Member

Local Time:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice