WARNING!! "The Fort" Device May Not Be Stainless

Discussion in 'Chastity device reviews' started by barbara desmonsche, Jul 4, 2010.

1. barbara desmonsche

barbara desmonsche Junior Member

New York
    Local Time:
    12:52 PM
    WARNING TO POTENTIAL FORT PURCHASERS!!

After wearing my new chastity device, the one advertised everywhere as a stainless steel device called "The Fort" for one entire week, i started to feel tenderness behind & under the testicles where the hinged part of the 2 base rings i wear touch. Everything felt fine until the one day where i was outdoors most of the day & not trapped in my office. It was the hottest & most humid day of all of the days that i wore the Fort device.

i was hoping it was simply a combination of the heat, humidity, & the, "not-so-rounded-and-smooth" base ring. When i got the device i saw that the hinged rings were not as smooth & rounded as they should be. It didn't feel sharp or rough, so i just tried them out the way they came. There weren't any issues until after the hot day when i felt discomfort. After i removed the device, i saw that the rings caused some chaffing & left the area very sensitive. No broken skin, just very tender along with a blister.

i bought a brand new, Dremel rotary tool & decided to modify the base rings of The Fort by grinding, sanding, & buffing the sharper ridges. They are now a smoother surface with a well rounded edge. It should be ten times better than before & hopefully no more chaffing from them. i did notice what looked like a copper color below the surface. At first i dismissed it thinking that it may have been the cutting bit from the Dremel rotary tool that caused it, but in the back of my mind i was hoping that it wasn't copper plating under a chrome plated surface.

So after healing & cleaning the modified rings i tried them out for comfort. It lasted less than a week this time & i had the same tenderness & blister again. i removed the rings, cleaned them & put them away. The next day i noticed that the area that i had modified by grinding was very discolored. This didn't appear to be stainless steel at all & probably regular steel that had been chrome plated. i am mad as hell now because of what may be false advertising.

The Fort ads claim that the entire device as well as the 5 rings that come with it are all stainless steel. i may take one of the rings to a local machine shop & ask them what they think to see if my hunch is correct. Of course i am not going to say it's part of a chastity device, but i'll say it's an adustable pipe bracket.....LOL This thread is a warning for everyone who is considering a purchase of The Fort. It may not be stainless & i will post back after i can confirm it.

barbara

2. chaste777

chaste777 chaste777

Local Time:
    5:52 PM
    Extreme Restraints do state that the cage is stainless steel, but the cuff rings are chrome plated alloy -

http://www.extremerestraints.com/chastity-devices_26/the-fort-stainless-steel-locking-chastity-device_3281.html

So yes, in answer to your query, they are chrome plated alloy, not stainless still cuff rings.

Although I agree it is a little misleading, as one has to look down the page to find this out.

Personally, I would not buy one as they are a rip off of the old style CB-3000 and thus a breach of the Miller's patent. Ironically, the Millers have redesigned their CBs to fit the new style cuff rings, which are better than the old style as the pins point away from the body.

I also have issues with the weight of the device and it slipping down when one is at one's most flaccid, such as during extremely hot weather and after having a hot bath.

3. barbara desmonsche

New York
    Local Time:
    The Extreme Restraints description has been changed since it first appeared on their website & i am glad they did, it shows that they want to remain reputable. It's probably a misleading supplier that caused it, or an assumption by the retailers. The link you posted clearly states that the rings are chrome plated, but that was not the case a while back. It was originally stated in the description that the cage & the rings were all stainless steel. i know this because of researching devices i was considering. It was important to me that all of the parts were stainless so there were no allergic reactions to metals.

Look at the description on this site, it states that the rings are stainless just like the original Extreme Restraints description did.....
    http://www.erotic-sextoy.com/fort-stainless-steel-locking-chastity-device-p-1596.html

4. chaste777

chaste777 chaste777

Local Time:

If you feel it was misleading, you could try getting a refund. I have heard, rightly or wrongly, that the Fort was made in the Far East. A lot of devices that come out of China are chrome plated alloy and not steel.

Alternatively, have you considered a custom made device from Mature Metal?

5. JackStrap

JackStrap Member

Guru
    North Eurotica
    Local Time:
    7:52 PM
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I understand stainless steel does indeed contain nickel (which is one, but not the only one metal causing problems).

6. barbara desmonsche

New York
    Local Time:

Hi again.

i had purchased the device from an individual, so no, it is not returnable. There wasn't any deception from that person, it was the way the device had been marketed from the retailers the very first time it had become available for sale. My research while shopping was long before this one became available so it was my fault for not updating my own info.

My posting of this thread was only a warning to let others know that the device is not what it is advertised to be, all stainless. At least advertised by retailers other than Extreme Restraints. There are many other sites selling it & they are all stating it is stainless steel, including the base rings.

Like this site does

And this one

This site as well

There is even a very well written review Here that states that it comes from Extreme Restraints with 5 stainless rings.

i did consider a Mature Metal device because i like them a lot, but the set up that my wife & i wanted was not within my budget. The device i had purchased was substantially less than the Mature Metal device, & also less than retail & in new condition. Even now that i must purchase a stainless steel base ring elsewhere, i am still spending much less in the end.

i am sure it does, but i do not know enough about metals to verify anything. i have never had any allergic reactions to stainless in the past & have had my piercings since about 1981 or so. Any jewelry that i have worn in my piercings, both my nipples & one frenum, have always been stainless.

Other metals, even gold, have given me minor reactions. The rings that came with The Fort device gave me problems from the beginning. i simply "assumed" that they had to be ground to a more rounded edge, then polished. i did that & ruined the chrome finish that i was led to believe was stainless steel. Grinding & polishing solid stainless would not have exposed raw steel.

If others can wear chrome without any issues, then that's fine. The chrome will eventually fade, lose it's shine, & become thinner as it wears out. It will not prevent the steel from rusting at this point. Body oils, sweat, water, soap, & other things, will all attack the chrome even faster.

Just trying to help others so there is no disappointments later on.

barbara

7. JackStrap

JackStrap Member

Guru
    North Eurotica
    Local Time:
    7:52 PM
    Yes, I understand this and thank you for the insight.

Finally I found (again) this blog entry http://vanillaedge.wordpress.com/2010/04/15/paying-for-quality/ which is more than suitable read for people reading this thread here. And, actually, for many other people as well.

I understand the blogger is active in this forum as well, and want to thank for excellent text, which reminds me of the book Zen and art of motorcycle maintenance (sic?), not just about technology, but life, universe and everything.

8. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I noticed a bunch of links from here to my blog; while I did not specifically state at the time that this was the Fort cuff rings, that is indeed the case. I suspect (although I do not have confirmation) that XR did not know about this ahead of time; they seemed to be surprised at my emails with descriptions and pictures. However, they still have the rings listed as stainless, not to mention having the sizes wrong, even though I've mentioned it a couple of times.

That said, for most people, the chrome plating should be okay. I can't imagine that there is going to be all that much opportunity for scratching, denting, and nicking while wearing the device, so there should be little reason for the chrome plating to chip or wear.

BTW, the base rings are not steel, they are a "white metal" zinc alloy. You're lucky that you managed to last a week with it on.

Interestingly, the hinge rivet *is* stainless, in contrast to the nickel-plated brass rivet on the original 3k rings. That rivet used to cause a lot of irritation for a lot of people.

For Barbara, I would suggest doing as I did: get some flexible tubing (surgical tubing might work) and cut a section to slide over the area that you have modified. I experienced no more problems after that. Alternately, you could wear the plastic cuff rings from the 2k or 3k.

FWIW, I swapped it for the trusty, old plastic 3k for the summer. I found that the heat made things a bit too loose, and the weight of the device really made the entire device hang too low. I'm planning to make a thinner, solid cuff ring from some actual stainless to help reduce the weight.

9. Cape Cod Richie

Cape Cod Richie Senior Member

Local Time:
    I have found XR's responses to e-mails to be unpredictable. I sent two positive reviews on products I had purchased. They posted them. Then I sent an unfavorable review and it was never posted.

I ordered a sleep sack and after ordering I realized I might have ordered the size too small. I sent a message asking if I could exchange it if that was the case (sleep sack cost $360). I never got a reply. Fortunately with some effort I can just fit in but I am soured from dealing with them anymore.

I'll steer clear of their accused stealing of a reputable company's leather products designs.

Fortunately with the Net we have many alternatives for businesses with whom we spend our $.

10. Tam's whore

Tam's whore New member

Local Time:
    9:52 AM
    [​IMG]
    I got "the Fort" from XR as well. Possibly their last, as it is no longer listed with them. Very disappointed to hear the rings are not SS, but will check that out tomorrow. Hope this won't cause a problem as I may be locked in this thing for a LONG TIME! [​IMG]

Here's a hint though, anytime you want to check if something is actually stainless steel, get a magnet! SS is a non-ferrous metal, therefore not magnetic. If a magnet sticks to or pulls toward an item, it's not stainless steel.

11. Paulette the Tart

Paulette the Tart Male maid

Retired
    Chilterns, UK and Pyrénées, France
    Local Time:

12. filltee

filltee Junior Member

Sheffield. South Yorkshire UK
    Local Time:
    I have had the Fort about 6 months. I looked into it as thoroughly as possible, Tom Allen, one of our members, proved to be the most informative poster (on his own site) in regard to the make up of both the cage and the rings. Thanks again Tom.

I am allergic to nickel so initially we coated the the A-ring with a clear nylon based anti-allergy varnish. This prevented any reactions but did mean that the A-ring needed a quick re-coat every week and and the 2 or 3rd time needed cleaning off and starting again. I then found that just cutting the neck part of an ordinary part balloon and putting that over the hinge was equally effective. However I use baby-gel as a lube, which does not mix well with latex. So replacing the sleeve needed doing once a week. My then partner, sadly no longer, who was really into the me being locked in steel in a big way, did not say anything but she would have much preferred I did not HAVE to take it off every week, as indeed would I.

Anyway after just about giving up on finding someone to make me an A-ring from more suitable material I started using a cb-3000 solid ring, which took an age to arrive. This is working out just fine. I also found I need far less lube now, probably because there is no drag being created by the rubber sleeve.

I am however still in hopes of fulfilling my own desire to be encased entirely in steel. (not all of me obviously, visions of King Arthur and his buddies just came to mind. lol ).

I have now found a chap in the UK who is currently making me an A-ring he assures me the Stainless is of a suitable grade and I should have no problems with it. I should be getting that soon, and I'll post on the outcome of that and will pass the guy's contact details on once I know everything is ok.

I have posted about my new quest which is to find a way of utilising my PA to prevent pull-out. I am currently using a length of chain and a captive ball ring, but I can open that with the pliers whilst the cage is on.

As I really wish to achieve a 'can't remove this without damaging something' set up I am looking to improve on the captive ball ring so that I cant undo that whilst I'm caged.

I have contacted one chap about this and have some ideas of my own but would really welcome more suggestions.

The Fort, for those that don't know already is almost exactly the same as the cb-3000 but the slot in end at 10mm wide is 2mm wider than that of the cb-3000.

Then as I wish to test my fortitude and not my will power I will distance myself from the key and go for it. As it says on my ticker it will probably be a lot easier for me as my denial will be self imposed and I can avoid external sources of stimulation when I need to.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice