An unexpected metal detector….and now 3 for 3

Discussion in 'Novices and newbies' started by BarbCD, Aug 22, 2021.

1. BarbCD

BarbCD Long term member

Gainfully employed!
    Connecticut, USA
    Local Time:
    12:31 PM
    My wife and I went into NYC today to see an art exhibit. As we showed our tickets and got in line, I noticed that they were wanding everyone with metal detectors. Neither one of us had thought about that possibility, and I am in my titanium looker 1.

I had my explanation ready (“body jewelry”; thank you some prior CM poster for suggesting that) but even the close wanding didn’t register it. That is the third time I’ve gone through a non-airport metal detector without it triggering. Clearly they are not generally tuned for Ti.

I’m very glad we didn’t think about it beforehand. My wife loves having me locked, but she doesn’t want it known publicly at all. She might have asked me to take it off for the day. But with us not thinking about it in advance and me sailing through yet again, when we talked about it on the ride home she seemed quite comfortable with both me going through caged, and with the explanation.

2. LesterBallard

LesterBallard Long term member

Management
    United Kingdom
    Local Time:
    4:31 PM
    Glad it worked out for you. Bit alarming though that you've not been picked up three times now. Makes you wonder how good the screening really is.

3. Chili-boy

Chili-boy Long term member

Local Time:
    The same happened to me this weekend. We went to a music festival and, on the way in, the metal detector came out. My excuse (as above) was ready and after keys, coins, wallet, watch were placed on the table, he just said it must have been my belt buckle and let me pass. My wife had already gone through so stood smiling. Se knew but didn't want to stress me out about it apparently.

4. Giles_English

Giles_English Chaste slave

Slave
    UK
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I am grateful that my device is entirely non-metallic...

attistoC, JackStrap and ChasteCel like this.
  5. ChasteCel

ChasteCel 7/6 on the TomAllen-Rectrix scale

Local Time:
    Titanium isn't detectable in a metal detector, it's non-ferrous. It's even supposed to be OK to use in MRIs, which is why its often used for joint replacements, etc.

Here, here!

6. BarbCD

BarbCD Long term member

Gainfully employed!
    Connecticut, USA
    Local Time:
    We actually talked a little bit about that. I wondered aloud to my wife whether the wands were even operational. I also acknowledge that there is likely an unconscious bias at play here. It was an art exhibit, so attendees would not be drinking, crowded, or overly excitable as might happen at a concert or sports event. I suspect the security was cursory.

That bias would not have been a factor at the state fair two years ago where they used the portal scanners. I saw several people taken aside and patted down. Just not me. (Whew! That probably would have soured it for my wife had I flagged the very first time I wore through security. But now she’s fine and we have an explanation.)

attistoC and ChasteCel like this.
  7. BarbCD

BarbCD Long term member

Gainfully employed!
    Connecticut, USA
    Local Time:

attistoC and ChasteCel like this.
  8. PrairieSissy

PrairieSissy Active member

Central KS, USA
    Local Time:
    11:31 AM
    Your typical wands detect steel and iron, which are the most common metals used in weapon manufacturing, whether that's knives or firearms. Correctional or police scanners at courthouses may or may not be sensitive enough to pick it up. Airport devices absolutely will, but depending on type will also usually show enough shape to determine it isn't a weapon. You'll still likely get 'additional screening' but it's not that big a deal.

I deal with explosives at work, so always set off the particulate detectors when I fly and get pulled aside. I account for it in my travel time by now. Give them my credentials, explain my job, they call my work to verify, search everything thoroughly to make sure I'm not also a mad bomber in addition to working with explosives, and then I'm sent on my way.

Honestly, they usually miss the chastity in the hub bub about swabbing for explosives residue and then the interviews and search. Cobra is a great device to fly in, I expect zero issues with the Bijou either.

9. Alceste

Alceste Chaste Member

United States
    Local Time:
    9:31 AM
    Titanium alloys are used for implants due to biocompatibility. It is most certainly detectible in metal detectors which are tuned to detect it, because they function based on the movement of a conductor through a magnetic field.

Also, while it is not ferromagnetic, that is not the only concern with MRI imaging. The other issue is the possibility of a magnetic field setting up eddy currents in a conductor, which can cause heating of the material.

Titanium is not a great conductor of electric currents compared to some metals, but that is a matter of degree.

10. Chili-boy

Chili-boy Long term member

Local Time:
    Are there any other companies that make a titanium model aside from Steelworxx? thanks

attistoC likes this.
  11. PrairieSissy

PrairieSissy Active member

Central KS, USA
    Local Time:
    I know it is possible to get things printed in titanium. I recall on tumblr many years back there was a couple that drew up a cage in CAD that had her name designed into it, and had it printed through a company that does titanium. Looked very clean, open design, PA integrated, the works. Not sure on cost or anything.

12. imposedsensation

imposedsensation New member

Local Time:
    The brass lock is metallic, so don't wear it in an MRI unless you want bad things to happen!

attistoC likes this.
  13. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    My 316L steel GlansArmor2 and Contender have not set off metal detectors.

I went through one recently with no problem. I stood and watched someone behind me go through with an implant. The metal detector was set off by the implant. I know the machine was working.

Earlier I went through with a steel watch absentmindedly. It tripped the detector. I went through with just the cage. No problem.

I’ve been through metal detectors in my 316L steel well over a dozen times now in many places.

I did research and the amount of mass matters as well as how ferrous the material is. My 316L Malechastitynow cages are non-ferrous but they also make them light. I think that helps.

attistoC, sis_nikki and ChasteCel like this.
  14. SubSnuggler

SubSnuggler Owned by Mistress2and4you

USA
    Local Time:
    Also in the GlansArmor and I've gone through metal detectors several times with no issues. I also have a titanium eternity now anklet so I can say BOTH of them seem to be OK.

I recently got scanned during a FUCKING MISERABLE kidney stone event. My Wife unlocked me before loading me up for the trip to the ER, but the anklet stayed on. They did scan my kidneys to measure the stone size. No issues with the imaging scanner and honestly I would have given no fucks anyway. Kidney stone vs red hot metal on ankle? Kidney stone wins every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

15. SubSnuggler

SubSnuggler Owned by Mistress2and4you

USA
    Local Time:
    It's theater, just to make us all feel safe.

16. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    my deepest sympathies, I hope your all ok and on the mend now.

attistoC likes this.
  17. BarbCD

BarbCD Long term member

Gainfully employed!
    Connecticut, USA
    Local Time:

This weekend was another small milestone. We went to the “Big E” (basically, a huge state fair for all New England states) Saturday, and I was/am still caged. But this time we were aware in advance that they had portal style metal detectors, since they happened to be the very first ones we ever experienced with me in a cage a few years back. But there was no discussion of me being uncaged for the day, so my wife’s comfort level continues to increase. Mine as well, but it’s hers that is most important here. These actually seem to be functioning as several people got pulled over for belt buckles etc. I went right through without issue.

LockedGreg, Peter Rabbit and attistoC like this.
  18. subrick

subrick Junior Member

Engineering/Technical Education.
    USA, Western Massachusetts.
    Local Time:
    We're planning to go later this week on Thursday. I'm thinking about suggesting to my Lovely Wife & KeyHolder that She switch me to one of my Holy Trainer devices for the day, just in case. I've made it through the metal detectors at our local Six Flags before without issue with the cage in my avatar. But when we go later this week, we'll have our kids with us and it just might be better to avoid any possible issues than have to explain why "dad set off the metal detector" with his crotch! LOL

~subrick

attistoC and Jail Bird like this.
  19. BarbCD

BarbCD Long term member

Gainfully employed!
    Connecticut, USA
    Local Time:
    I would do the same if we had kids or friends with us. The other thing I like about the Big E is that the men’s rooms are kept pretty clean for such a venue and crowd. I happily tip the attendant now that I have to sit to pee. :)

subrick and attistoC like this.
  20. Jail Bird

Jail Bird Long term member

Mitten State
    Local Time:
    Go with the HT instead of your steel cage for the day. Better to be safe than embarrassed. My wife will switch me to our back up belt for travel etc. The trusty old CB6000s with a plastic security tag.
    I feel like I'm being punished wearing that! LOL

subrick and attistoC like this.
  21. Xileh

Xileh Happily Serving

Local Time:
    9:31 AM
    I wear a MCN Contender with a brass padlock. We went to visit a Navy ship (city namesake) and they had security. We didn’t even consider it. The wand alarmed, he waved it around some more and declared it must be my belt buckle. I don’t know if that was what he really thought, or was just being cool. He was very professional and careful.

Peter Rabbit likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice