On Medical Advice

Discussion in 'Chastity and orgasm denial' started by Quietlisten, Nov 4, 2019.

Random Thread
  1. Quietlisten

Quietlisten Junior Member

Southeast U.S.
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    4:09 AM
    There seem to be a lot of discussions lately about the medical effects of long-term chastity and what activities are okay or not okay to engage in. Just a few thoughts for readers of these forums to consider:

1. There many good reasons why qualified and ethical doctors do not post general advice on what activities are okay for readers to do or not do. They don't know who will be reading or anything about a reader's medical condition or history, and it is impossible to post all the "what-ifs" and "howevers" to clarify all possible situations.

2. Presenting "my doctor says" information is a flavor of #1 because it breaks the link between information the doctor had about you and the conclusion he/she gave you. Even if a doctor says "it's okay to...," he/she is saying that to an individual. Unless you also post your entire medical history, test results, etc., the picture is incomplete. Would your doctor post here exactly the conclusions you are attributing to him/her?

3. Doctors rarely communicate in "this is okay, that isn't" terms. It's never that simple. There is a very good reason why competence sounds like a series of hedge statements: because it has to be in order to be true. Truth is messy. Marketing and opinion manipulation are simple and catchy. Motivated reasoning makes a neat and tidy story. Truth is messy and often frustratingly complex.

4. Scientific and medical language is precise. It has to be. Unless you have the credentials, please think about the effects of your words. (See #3.) Is that EXACTLY what the doctor said? Critical information may be lost in translation or may be changed in a harmful way. As a reader, can you assume that the meaning has not been altered?

5. Doctors are held to very high ethical standards, as they should be. This -- and strict adherence to the scientific method, valuing truth over human wishes -- is why doctors have intellectual authority and a white lab coat carries associative clout. People posting anonymously may or may not be driven by the same set of ethics. How would one know? You don't even know who they are.

MY PLEA:
    Think carefully about ANY medical advice on ANY site. People may have good intentions, but the act of "borrowing a lab coat" says more about someone's need for unearned authority than it does about the content of what they say. Everyone here -- including (maybe especially) me -- should be considered through a VERY skeptical lens; the more important the topic, the more skepticism should be applied. We are all anonymous and we bear zero responsibility for what follows from our posts.

The part that will be misunderstood and/or ignored as I am attacked in responses:
    I am absolutely NOT making a claim that any individual's post or information is wrong.
    I am NOT imputing motivation to any individual.
    I AM saying that I don't know enough to pass on medical advice.
    I AM saying that I don't know how to tell good from bad advice here.
    I AM saying that I can't verify claims made by anonymous people nor validate quotes from third parties.
    I AM saying that I don't know anyone who posts here or anything about their motivation or ethics.
    All of this may be "duh" to most people, but it bears spelling out for both readers AND writers.

Take care of yourselves. See your doctor and be healthy. And be skeptical.

2. Tom Allen

Tom Allen Member

Southern New England
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    5:09 AM
    Excellent, and well written.

I'm just going to add that we see similar kinds of things all the time:

"I locked up my dick for two weeks, and now I can't get hard."
    "I've read that you need weekly/monthly/quarterly milkings to keep your prostate from exploding."
    "Urine is sterile, so there's no issue with having a catheter style device."
    "The longer you're locked up, the more your penis will shrink."

Etc.

Until Consumer Reports starts doing reviews, everybody should use some common sense and skeptical thinking.

3. Billus

Billus Laconic.

UK
    Local Time:
    9:09 AM
    My doctor told me (I swear! Pinkie promise!) that if I jump off a reeeely tall building, I'll die when I hit the pavement. I saw a movie where a guy did it (The Matrix) and didn't die! Has anyone else ever asked their doctor about doing this?

Headtrip and Guest 0388 like this.
  4. Guest 0388

Guest 0388 Active member

Local Time:
    My girlfriend and I do this all the time as part of our play and we’re totally fine! Take my word for it, it’s safe. Just make sure to use lots of lube!

5. Dogtanian69

Dogtanian69 Long term member

Produce aclerk
    East Texas
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Not only am I diabetic, I had a stroke two years ago and I have a 100% blockage in my left carotid artery and a loop recorder in my chest that constantly monitors my heart. We check blood pressure, glucose levels and heart rate daily, we remove the cage for two days a week because my Wife wants to make absolutely sure everything is working.... if it isn’t we’ll be straight to the doctors, I’ve been dead, not for long, but long enough that we’d rather it not happen again. I realise this may not be to the exacting standards of some people in this community, and that’s fine... but we’re going to do whatever it takes for me to stay alive until the last of my kids graduates high school in 8 years.....

6. madams-sissysub

nurse
    uk (west mids)
    Local Time:
    I agree, an excellent post and very well written and put across,

Guest 0388 likes this.
  7. jmanque

jmanque Active member

Writer
    San Francisco
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    2:09 AM
    Actually, we should probably differentiate between disseminating general medical knowledge, which I see no harm in passing on, and offering specific medical advice to an individual, which probably shouldn't be done. However, if someone says, "Should I smoke?" I see no problem with risking getting arrested for practicing medicine without a license and saying, "No."

8. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    “Ask your doctor of orgasm denial and chastity are right for you!” (in that cheerful voiceover tone used in pharmaceutical TV advertisements) ;)

(I’ll give a serious answer later to this good post)

Headtrip likes this.
  9. aussie_chaste

aussie_chaste Active member

Professional Stay at home dad.
    Central Coast, NSW, Australia
    Local Time:
    8:09 PM
    MayCauseExtremeHorniness,Leaking,AnalCravingsAndInSomeCasesCuckoldingFantasies.

Headtrip and Peter Rabbit like this.
  10. Jessica Alexander

Jessica Alexander Trans woman not a mistress or Dom

Houston
    Local Time:
    When I read medical advice, I see it as a place to start research. If you blindly follow medical advice that you found on the internet then you deserve whatever happens. I also don’t blindly follow advice just because they have an MD. There are countless people out there that are taking medications high aren’t optimal because their doctor is getting educated by pharmaceutical reps. One of the biggest killers in the US is faulty medicine.

11. LesterBallard

LesterBallard Long term member

Management
    United Kingdom
    Local Time:
  12. Peter Rabbit

Peter Rabbit I'm her bunny

USA
    Local Time:
    100% agree.

Agree.

Thought not every discussion requires an entire medical history and test results. Some are pure science and knowledge of anatomy.

For example, I was very narrow in my language in reporting the relevant facts from my urologists visits (with my click-bait subect Urologist - orgasms unncesessary). It took a lot of time for me to prepare professional questions. And when it came to relaying that information, there's a difficulty in keeping that conversation private.

You should not post your doctor or your personal information. You don't want to "erode the privacy of health information" by transcribing the conversation and posting it publicly.

Sometimes it is simple. I got a simple "no" to well crafted questions, and "unknown" to another. The real recommendation about prostate cancer is to get tests if you're concerned. But there's very little "normal" in human sexuality, and when that's asserted, it's often wrong... which supports your earlier point of it being personal.

But there is truth and science. It's hard to report and convey. I agree. The truth is messy. That's why the one journal article I brought up to one urologist (about ejaculating 5/week for a 20% reduction in cancer risk than 1-2/week) was not regarded as authoritative by that one doctor, for example. It's unknown. There's no safe minimum according to him.

This is why there are medical tests and evidence based on your own health and status.

This is why I sent that "ask your doctor" response earlier.
    With anything - ask your doctor.

Concur. It's difficult.

For me - I'm not reposting the exact words I wrote down and handed to my doctor. That violates our privacy.

I think you're being overly concerned here.

We can have a longer conversation on specific topics later - that will be helpful to tease out the critical information.

The big topics here are
    1. Impotence
    2. Penis Shrinkage
    3. Testicle damage
    4. Virility
    5. Piercing Safety
    6. Urinary Health
    7. Sounding / urethra / tetherspouts
    8. Hormone Replacement
    9. Orichectomy
    10. Edema / swelling
    11. Skin health
    12. Prostate health

My contribution was a narrow one - emissions are the same as ejaculations in the literature. A more careful read shows discussions in medical journals about being careful when conducting studies not to equate PIV sex and Masturbation and other types of ejaculation and emission.

I'm not feeling targeted here. I know there's other discussions out there. But I know I was one of the recent discussions. :) So I felt the obligation to respond. I am eager to continue these medical discussions in their own threads.

Not all doctors are authorities. They aren't all equal. They may be less educated about medical journals and studies, depending on how much time they spend researching and continuing education. The anonymity doesn't matter.

They are human too.

Ethics really don't matter. I think that's not relevant in your argument.
    Also anonymity doesn't matter either - though a pseudonym account with a long post history has more at stake than a 1 day old account :)

Agreed. Though I still disagree that a lab coat equates to authority. Or that authority denotes knowledge. I'm not an authority driven person. I'm an evidence based person.

I asked my doctor. I hope to provide a good example to others and encourage them to do the same. I think that's a good simple, succinct message to anyone reading or asking for medical advice.
    • Ask your doctor.
    • Be you. Be brave.
    • Be professional.
    • But get the care you need.

I'm not going to attack you or get defensive.
    I am saying you can tell good from bad advice with critical thinking.
    I roll my eyes and scroll past a lot of silly-minded advice.
    I do think it's a bit of a "duh".

Many of us are here to help. Many of us here are here to wank while they fantasize about things. :) It's a bit obvious to me.

Yes, see your doctor.
    Listen. Read. Think. Seek evidence.
    Live.

Endless skepticism might prevent you from doing what you've always wanted to do. I waited far too long to get a piercing. I worried too much. I did the research and adhered to the best protocol for healing. It turned out great.

Analysis paralysis can prevent you from living.

13. Quietlisten

Quietlisten Junior Member

Southeast U.S.
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Oh, good. Thank you for documenting your method of thinking so clearly. Some people will find that very helpful.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice