New Fun Cage - more fun!

Discussion in '3D printing files' started by JosieLynn Jewell, May 17, 2018.

1. JosieLynn Jewell

JosieLynn Jewell Long term member

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    12:22 PM
    So, I've got a couple pieces that I've done in the past month or so, and want to share with you all. These are some new style pieces for the New Fun Cage and should be compatible with other pieces.

There are two rings that may be of interest - they are circular and mimic the shape of a steel base ring (i.e. a torus)
    Circular Ring - 47mm (ID), 8mm diameter ring
    Circular Ring - 48mm (ID), 8mm diameter ring

There are two new cages
    The first new cage is another short cage, but is a little wider and has a nice new tip geometry that improves urination and should help prevent extrusion through the tip. (45mm x 35mm diameter, 33mm depth)
    The other is a Holy Trainer style tube/cage combination that incorporates the new cage described here at the end of an enclosed tube that goes through the base ring. This one really closes the gap between the cage and the base ring, and is an interesting piece, but is not easy to print, and may not be suited for small rings. It's really kind of an experimental piece.

It turns out that the two cages exceed the 2MB file size limit here, even when zipped. I've compressed them with 7Zip using some maximum compression settings to get them under the limit. If your unzip program has issues with them, please try 7Zip.

As always, enjoy, have fun, and leave you comments, questions, and requests below!

Attached Files:

2. thongs911

thongs911 Junior Member

Local Time:
    All of these look cool. What printer do you have? I have been researching getting a printer lately.

3. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    I have a Tevo Tornado, which recently got a Micro-Swiss all-metal hotend (I want to try printing Nylon), a new cooling solution and a new extruder (still on the fence about this piece). I'd recommend a different printer though, unless this is your highest price point ($350 USD) as there are some things about this one that drive me a little crazy that are due to the electronics and mechanical design.

4. danleft1

danleft1 Long term member

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I started with an XYZ printer ... it was OK, but was VERY limited because you had to hack it to use any filament they did not sell.

I now have a Flashforge Creator Pro ... I'm VERY happy with it. You can control all the print settings right out of the box (no hacks needed) so that means you can use pretty much any filament in the market. I've run almost 2 kg of PLA through it so far and have no complaints at all.

I have some water soluble filament I've been wanting to try (using it as support material) but have not had the time to try it yet. I also want to buy some nylon and try it also.

5. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    At their price point, I would hope you'd be very happy with it! Dual extruders is an appealing upgrade, but I'm not to a point where I'm interested in trying it yet.

If you really want to give it a test, I've got some files for cage rings that would be cool to have in nylon that need supports (being ergonomics).

My Nylon filament arrives tomorrow :)

6. danleft1

danleft1 Long term member

South East USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    I use it for creating parts that are then cleaned and molded to be cast in resin, so the $900 did not seem expensive compared to some of the others out there that want double the price and don't offer any more reliability. I also wanted right out of the box printing so I was willing to pay a little more for it.

This is our busy time so trying new things is put on the back burner at the moment, but toward the end of summer I will have time to play with new things on the printer and dial them in. I have a particular part I print in 20+ sizes that I just use in its PLA or ABS version that I think would be GREAT in Nylon, so I will be looking at Nylon with dissolving support material to start printing them in.

Let us know what you think of the nylon once you have time to tweak the right print settings and get a good print.

7. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    Nylon printed well on the fourth or fifth try. Cranked the hot end up past the manufacturers recommended hot end temp (230-260) - it wouldn't adhere to the previous layer below 260. Bed temp of 120 was real interesting as it caused the glue stick to melt, and look like a puddle creeping up the print (that was too high, dropped to 115/110). Needed a bit more finishing after the fact than even PETG, but it feels strong, and less flexible than I was expecting. I'm going to give it a couple days to absorb some humidity and get to its final strength/flexibility before "installing" it :)

Added a pic of the ring after about 10 minutes of dremel and file work - I'm pretty happy with this part.

Attached Files:

Peter Rabbit and danleft1 like this.
  8. thongs911

thongs911 Junior Member

Local Time:
    I messed with the small long tip cage in Meshmixer to customize it a little for myself.
    I brought down the bottom of the cage a little so it is more like the bottom of a heart instead of an oval, and lengthened it a little.

I also rotated the locking portion a little so it points a little more downward instead of straight out. I also put a hole through it to allow for a waist band support if I notice it sagging a lot like my old steel cage did.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did have one issue however. I was "erection testing" it to see how it felt with being full, and the locking portion broke on the first print. I am not sure if was just a bad print or if it is typically weak there.

[​IMG]

Anyway, for $0.12 of plastic, it is wonderful to have a custom cage.

9. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    Thanks for sharing the pictures - I guess I'm not the only one who likes a nice blue!

I'm curious about the "heart shape" modification you mention - Do you have a better picture of that, and was it just to accommodate shape?

I haven't had any sag with a tight fitting ring, but I don't have experience with a metal device to compare it to - the hole is a nice touch, and offers the option for that, or other uses :)

Regarding the break - ouch! I've never had a break on the cage, even with very thorough strain testing. In the earlier versions, I did have the locking ears of the ring break off where they met the base, but I haven't had that happen since I redesigned that portion. It may be because I've also always printed in PETG and made sure I had good layer adhesion. It does look like it's broken along layer lines, but regardless, I have noted that has been an area to be concerned about, and is an area for improvement. I'll have to find a way to design something both strong, and stealthy given the material.

Looks like you've been enjoying working with Meshmixer - I have a love/hate relationship with that program as I'm more attuned to engineering style design than freeform...

10. JosieLynn Jewell

Michigan, USA
    Local Time:
    One thing I want to post about is failures - I have tried a few things that just didn't pan out due to the material.

I tried adding a "ball hook" to the ring, but even with good layer adhesion, it wasn't difficult to break that off when designed like a metal ring would be done.

I tried a "horseshoe" ring that was open at the very bottom (not much gap at all), but since it wasn't fully connected, it never really worked either. Maybe it would work in metal, but that's not the point.

I'm still here plugging away at this, just splitting my time on this and other projects at the time.

11. thongs911

thongs911 Junior Member

Local Time:
    Luckily the break didnt hurt at all, the cage just came unattached from the ring.

I tried to upload the stl file, but it is saying it is to big, even compressed with a zip, so here is a screenshot from meshmixer. I guess it kind of struck me as heart shaped when it came off the printer
    cage.jpg
    You are right about it being free form, as can be seen by my non symmetry.

As for materials, I have been using PLA. I have a spool of PETG, but wanted to get dialed in with the PLA first before messing with other materials. I've had it for less than a week, and still learning a lot about how it works.

Absurd_Osiris likes this.
  12. Nekhard

Nekhard New member

Local Time:
    6:22 PM
    I printed it in resin and I find that the tube works very well. The smaller shield does not work well for me.

So far I have used a wire to "lock" it for testing. What locking mechanism do you recommend?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice