Edit time limit

Discussion in 'Site announcements and information' started by horse, Aug 15, 2017.

1. L-u-c-y

Staff Member Owner of Chastity Mansion Administrator Verified Female

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    10:34 AM
    You only appear to have been a member of this site for 10 days, the edit limit can't have given you much trouble. I think the site will survive without your useful insights.

Mistress B likes this.
  2. Miles

Miles Member

Local Time:
    @Mistress Lucy - To the best of my knowledge I can't see how I have offended you, how did I suddenly become the bad guy here?

3. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    It seems a bit strange that you have been here for 10 days and now giving advice on how to run the site.

4. Miles

Miles Member

Local Time:
    @Mistress Lucy - you are mistaken, it was not advice I sought to give but an opinion I wished to share which seems to have offended you, so for that I apologise.

I will say no more in this thread or on the mater.

5. sissybitch

sissybitch Long term member

engine development engineer
    north wales uk
    Local Time:
    Firstly let me say this is a little off the topic of this thread but is my view none the less , I thought the whole point to these threads was to attract an opinion or point of view , regardless of the length of time the person replying has been a member , without differing views , opinions and new input things would rapidly turn repetitive and one sided , or have I missed something ??

6. L-u-c-y

Oxford, England
    Local Time:
    Perhaps you should not take what others say as fact.

7. Beck

Beck Banned

Local Time:
    5:34 AM
    I would say yes. You have missed something. A new mod is in town . . . be that as it may, I agree with you. The variations of opinion are the only thing that adds anything to threads here in CM. I would love to see edit history available, allowing users to edit as they see fit, and readers to view past edits. I have gathered that somehow allowing editing lacks integrity or is bothersome to the mods, or admin, and they will likely do nothing about it. Instead they force people to take harsh stands, and unfortunately some are very reactionary and this leads to locked threads, or deleted ones. It would seem that chastity mansion high and holy types like to throw the baby out with the bathwater.

8. SubVerity

SubVerity Still the mansion's fairy godmother. ;)

London
    Local Time:
    Allowing editing of ones own threads and posts would indeed have some useful and obvious benefits.
    That said, while some members here are in the habit of throwing rocks at other members it also leaves us open to some very unpleasant effects and for that reason the edit window is set at 3 minutes.

If you're the sort of person that needs extra time writing longer posts - then write them in notepad or even Word - and once you're happy with them then Ctrl c+v, or just walk away from the computer before coming back to read what you've written again before hitting submit.

If you're the sort of person that throws their toys out of the pram every now and then and would delete every one of their posts then the edit window is to protect the forum from you.
    If you're the sort that likes to throw rocks at people and then hide behind your now edited post, then the edit window protects the forum and it's members from you.

It's not about being high and mighty, so much as it is about protecting the forum and it's members, and we have to take a very long view on that. Individual actions may seem odd, but they're generally taken with this long view in mind. I would wish that the edit window could be longer - 12 minutes say - but a decision was made and we have what we have.

9. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    SubVerity it seems you missed the original points made about the time limit. It's great a decision was made to made the edit window 3 minutes. If you reread the posts about the issue you'll see some good reasons why lengthening the time limit a few minutes makes sense.

Personally I'm not going to write my posts in an editor and cut and paste. Sorry but this site and what I say isn't that important. But it would be nice to be able to fix a typo or make a minor change and often I don't realize it until the time limit is closed.

Sometimes decisions need to be reviewed. It's not a slight against anyone but rather a sign of maturity that decision makers understand that things change, new information is obtained, or reasons come about.

Personally I think 10 min is a good time frame. Long enough to let someone make a change but not too long. IMHO five is probably the shortest acceptable. And as I said above seven is a good compromise.

Frankly, this shouldn't be such a big deal it's one setting that could be updated during maintenance. One that could be changed say for a week, then adjusted if need be or left alone if the right setting is found.

As an aside, just because this impacts only a few folks it still shouldn't be ignored. In fact by its nature adjusting it shows good management and a willingness to help the user community. The people that make this site what it is.

10. SubVerity

SubVerity Still the mansion's fairy godmother. ;)

London
    Local Time:
    I agree with you @Tomf, and were I empowered to make it happen I'd begin work to see if it were practicable - sadly, none of us mods have this power, and our Admin and owner is.....less inclined to visit than he used to be.

Adjusting it for a week or so is not a bad idea - but unless Jens our @Administrator drops by and finds it an interesting idea it's not likely to happen any time soon.
    Somewhere between 'ideal' and 'unworkable' is where we find ourselves generally, and we have to accept that middle ground most of the time.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  11. tomf_22033

tomf_22033 Long term member

VA USA
    Local Time:
    6:34 AM
    Thanks for the complement

That said, if the site owner isn't here regularly it seems a change of ownership should occur. Now that's not a slight against anyone as I don't know the current owner but rather a statement about any site.

A simple config setting shouldn't be something that should be a big deal. The right person with the right access should be able to edit a file and enable the change.

I understand having a life, other commitments etc but folks also need to be responsible for sites like this. Especially popular ones like CM.

Anyway, I hope someone can get them to either be involved and do the things to keep the site going well, give someone(s) trusted the ability to do neededtasks, or see that someone who will takes over.

12. horse

horse Junior Member

Local Time:
    The problem I have with it is that I like to post something and then reflect on what I've said, and then add new ideas. It's very rare that I'd choose to remove something, and I dislike being forced into messy multiple postings.
    Using a notepad isn't really viable when posting from a mobile.

More importantly if I made a typo that I'd only spotted 5 minutes later, this policy would appear to prevent me from fixing that.
    Now personal typos made online don't seem to bother 99.9999% of people, but they REALLY bug me.
    That's a part of me that's public, and the thought of 200 people noticing a dumb typo that I've made and me being unable to fix it, ever - well that's an issue for me, and it's irritating enough to want to limit what I post in here.

I really don't like editorial control being removed from me, simply because a few people are spoiling it.
    (not that I've ever noticed arguments in here, but whatever).

As for a missing Admin, well it's a bit unfair to leave a forum (and the community of people who provide content) in limbo, but then I'm not paying the hosting fees.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  13. Alceste

Alceste Chaste Member

United States
    Local Time:
    3:34 AM
    I agree that 3 minutes is too speedy. I would suggest 7 or 10 minutes.

No more than 10 minutes.

tomf_22033 likes this.
  14. horse

horse Junior Member

Local Time:
    I've nothing more to add, other than noticing my typo on a recent post and now being unable to change it.

So I'm just here to kick a metaphorical box and express my continued annoyance at this pustulating boil of a feature.

If you happened to notice I typed 'women' instead of 'woman', then that's why I'm here.
    If there are actually worse things happening in the world, then I haven't noticed.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice