Tor users blocked?

Discussion in 'Site announcements and information' started by zorglub, Oct 20, 2016.

1. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    12:27 PM
    A person I correspond with has told me he has difficulties using CM because it appears to block those who use the Tor anonymising tool. He is located in the middle east where homophobia is pervasive and male chastity is a sensitive topic. Having his internet communications on the subject tracked back to him by the government would have negative consequences for his professional (and possibly private) life.

Is there a particular reason why Tor users are blocked here? Is there a practical way for him to get around that issue to connect to CM?

fdsfdg likes this.
  2. SubVerity

SubVerity Still the mansion's fairy godmother. ;)

London
    Local Time:
    8:27 PM
    Hi Zorglub, this is certainly an interesting question, and I'm not sure it's one that a responsible forum owner will have a way around.

As we all know we are all responsible for what we post on public forums, and if anything was ever posted that became of interest to a police force then most owners would hand over the logs without question - it's just too much hassle otherwise. Because of the need to be able to do this I can imagine that there are settings in the signup system that will not allow anonymous systems to perform registrations, so it's possible that there is no work-around available if he wishes to use Tor or similar.

With that said we'll have to see if the @Administrator can help here. He's a busy chap and has a number of projects on the go so it might not be an immediate response.

3. SirenSong

SirenSong Active member

Local Time:
    3:27 PM
    I'm able to log in and post this through Tor. Suggest that your friend update his Tor Browser (to say, v.6.0.5+).

SubVerity and fdsfdg like this.
  4. fdsfdg

fdsfdg Active member

Local Time:
    2:27 PM
    >"I'm not sure it's one that a responsible forum owner will have a way around."

I urge you to analyze your statement and reconsider what "responsible" really means. A "responsible forum owner" would take the forums' users' privacy into consideration, and impose upon themselves a duty to protect that privacy within the bounds of the law. No forum should do less. A forum dealing with the subject matter of peoples' sex lives should take this even more seriously.

>"As we all know we are all responsible for what we post on public forums, and if anything was ever posted that became of interest to a police force then most owners would hand over the logs without question"

That's horrifying. While I don't expect forum mods to break, or fail to comply with the law, I definitely hoped that the forum would take seriously it's duty to protect users by requiring law enforcement to use the proper procedure(s) to obtain the data. The purpose of law enforcement is not only to catch criminals, but also to protect the rights of the innocent. The law provides a number ways for police to properly obtain such data, and I can only imagine very limited circumstances where it would be acceptable in my opinion to (break the law, and or violate the users' trust) and just "hand over the logs without question".

I am extremely disappointed with your response to a legitimate concern. TOR is a valuable tool which protects individuals' privacy and protects them from abuse, in this case at the hands of oppressive government. The mere fact that TOR also helps some criminals evade police is no more reason to disallow it than the prospect of banning cars because criminals may also use cars to evade police.

5. SirenSong

SirenSong Active member

Local Time:
    3:27 PM
    fdsfdg, ignore that post about legal requirements that you were responding to. I'm sure they meant well and tried to be helpful, but it's not accurate.

BTW, there are too many widespread malicious hacks (for ransom or just for sport) to not use HTTPS and anonymizing browsers for just about everything.

E.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashley_Madison_data_breach

fdsfdg likes this.
  6. fdsfdg

fdsfdg Active member

Local Time:
    Thanks for testing. I was also able to connect and log in via TOR browser v6.0.5 from within the US, on the second attempt. The first attempt timed out.

@zorglub Maybe tell your friend to try again? TOR can be painfully slow.

It would be nice if some people test from other locations. You can download TOR Browser Bundle from here https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en#downloads

7. fdsfdg

fdsfdg Active member

Local Time:
    I agree, and wish to give people the benefit of the doubt, but I still found the administrator's tone dismissive, and I infer from their post a general lack of respect for individual privacy. IMO there are too many people these days who just accept uncritically any assertion coming from authority.

8. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Well, something is definitely different with CM than other social sites! I downloaded the 6.0.5 TOR browser and, running from a Windows 8.1 system, it tool me 4 tries to finally connect to www.chastitymansion.com (from the US).

In contrast, I connected to fetlife.com, chastityforums.com, and lockedmen.net within a couple of seconds each every time.

9. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    "A police force"?
    Are you telling us that this site's administrator feels bound to deliver logs upon simple request from a foreign government who has no jurisdiction over them and who may have laws (e.g. there are currently 72 countries where homosexuality is illegal), or even just patriarchal traditions, that are actually considered discriminatory in the site's actual jurisdiction?
    That's horrifying!

In any case, my original question was not about concealing illegal acts but rather protection from casual privacy invasion by repressive governments.
    As stated in a couple of posts above, one can apparently connect to CM through Tor, albeit much less conveniently than other social sites of similar sensitivity, so the system does not completely disallow connection. It seems to me to be a deficiency in the site's configuration rather than a deliberate setting. And if it is the latter, then it's not working very well is it? ;)

fdsfdg likes this.
  10. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    IP location services place this site's hosting within the continental US (Chicago). If there are some timing-related issues when using Tor that already make connectivity within the US marginal, a user from afar (e.g. middle east) may not be able to connect at all.

11. Wendygirl

Wendygirl To offer advice and keep CM safe and welcoming

gardener
    London
    Local Time:
    Lol its not really in Chicago cause if that bloke gets elected then you will only be allowed to have ladies with big bobbies who are blond and between 18 and 20 on the Internet. So the server is now 3 laptops under the bed in admin's pool house in Denmark.

Xx Wendy

12. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    The servers may be physically humming away in Denmark, but it appears the packets initially route through Chicago, presumably where the ISP node is located. Assuming that is true, timing-related issues would be lessened for those with lower latency to that node, making my point above still valid

13. SubVerity

London
    Local Time:
    Great to hear it's possible then - all my previous can be safely ignored then, and I'm sure it's something that the Admin will want to look into when he has time.

Any and all information regarding it is useful, so thanks all for bringing it up.

14. SubVerity

London
    Local Time:
    My apologies then. I'm not the Admin, merely a moderator. I didn't mean to suggest that the Admin would handover logs without correct protocols taking place, but I wouldn't assume either that he's likely to fight any such requests should they be made. It was not in the least my intention to be dismissive.

I do personally question the ethical standpoint of anyone choosing to work within a repressive regime, and presumably happily working to support it in some way or other in exchange for money, but that's a different topic altogether. ;)

Back to Tor - any info about it working or not to register and sign in will be gladly received.

fdsfdg likes this.
  15. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Does this mean you question the ethics of people who don't flee from the country they're born in when their government happens to be repressive? Do you have any idea how risky that is, especially if one has to drag along (or worse leave behind) a family? And do you know how difficult/lengthy it is to legally immigrate into a country of the so-called free world these days?
    It does not seem signing-in is particularly problematic (I haven't tried registering as I don't want to create a bogus account). From the US, the initial connection requires multiple retries, but once one gets to the front page the site seems to work consistently thereafter. It is a bit slower, but no more than other sites are in the same context.

16. SubVerity

London
    Local Time:
    Not at all - If anyone happens to be born in such a place and suffer as a result then they have my utmost and sincere sympathies. These people generally do not have a choice in the matter.

All too often though (and I must say I presumed this may have been the case here) one hears people living and working in Saudi and similar as an ex-pat - earning handsomely tax-free and living in a social bubble within a compound, while complaining about the restrictive lifestyle. These complaints I find it harder to have sympathy for.

zorglub likes this.
  17. fdsfdg

fdsfdg Active member

Local Time:
    Thanks. To be fair, it's pretty easy to set me off about privacy.

18. zorglub

zorglub Tether freak

Software developper
    Arizona, USA
    Home Page:
    Local Time:
    Thanks for clarifying your point of view. I'm not in complete agreement because things are sometimes not so back and white for ex-pats in those situations but we're on the same wavelength anyway.
    I don't know enough about the person I mentioned at the start of the thread to judge where he falls on that spectrum and the balance of privilege vs privacy vs risk in that specific case but I thought it was worthwhile to bring up the problems he reported having with TOR vs CM, especially as there were no such issues with other sites.
    My use of "repressive governments" earlier was for emphasis ("invasive" would fit though), but if he couldn't use TOR then neither would anyone in a more repressed situation.

fdsfdg likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice