Account Deletion

Discussion in 'Site announcements and information' started by Pawds, Jan 1, 2015.

1. Pawds

Pawds Member

Local Time:
    11:47 AM
    I've recently become aware that there is no self-serve account deletion on the forum. I think this is unfortunate, and I'd like to recommend adding the ability for users to delete their accounts. I know the base install of XenForo doesn't provide this capability, however, this addon (https://xenforo.com/community/resources/wmtech-user-self-delete.1454/) provides the capability. It has the added bonus of preserving content so that the forum threads aren't disrupted by the deletion.

Why is this important? Some people want the ability to delete their accounts. Without a built-in feature to support the request, users will contact the administrator who already has enough to do. If for no other reason, it will lessen the workload on the administrator. (Even if the administrator chooses to ignore those requests, he'll still have to deal with the messages in his inbox.)

Another reason is simply it's the right thing to do. I don't recall seeing anything that told me my account would be permanent when I created it. And although it's not always easy, I've never encountered a site that didn't let me delete my account. In effect, not deleting accounts is a way of holding people hostage, and that feels fundamentally wrong.

The last, and perhaps most important reason. People get angry and frustrated when they can't delete their accounts. Angry and frustrated people do stupid things - spamming forums, stalking, outing members. That's the last thing a community like this needs. (Having been on the receiving end of an outing, I know how awkward it can be.)

In the interest of full disclosure, I've asked for my account to be deleted. My reasons are personal, and are my own. In truth, it doesn't really matter much, as my past experiences have taught me to be fairly discreet here on the internet. The funny thing is though, that it's sometimes the simplest of things, the most innocent statements, that create the biggest risk. I'm not too worried about it, but still, I'd like to see my account removed.

@Administrator, I thank you for all that you do to make this forum what it is, and I hope that you'll consider this request.

Guest 1923 and coffee2sugars like this.
  2. Wendygirl

Wendygirl To offer advice and keep CM safe and welcoming

gardener
    London
    Local Time:
    4:47 PM
    To ask administration to close an account is very simple. Just ask !

Xx Wendy

3. Pawds

Pawds Member

Local Time:
    I made that request five days ago. I suspect @Administrator is very busy. This is what made me look into other options.

4. Wendygirl

gardener
    London
    Local Time:
    Yes he is all sorts new things popping up.

Sorry you do not like CM but I wish you well and pastures new.
    Xx Wendy

5. maid_carrie

Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    The problem with account deletion is that all the posts allocated to that account (28 in your case) would also go as well. This would play havoc with threads - a real nightmare of continuity!

And what would happen to this post - I have deliberately copied your post in here to set the question - what would happen then? I am sure that Admin is keen to keep the site intact as a record of what has been said - as it is a great source of information and discussion.

What sort of site would it be if folk went around just deleting posts, threads and profiles at their whim?

Many who decide the Forum here is not for them just clear out their profile of all info and leave it blank - you could do that. Some even hide the profile from view as well.

I do hope you are not suggesting that you will "get angry and frustrated when they can't delete their accounts" and do all the things you suggest might come from that?

It's a pity you want to leave after less than a month - but each to their own.

As @Wendygirl says we wish you well :)

boyshorn2bhumbled likes this.
  6. Pawds

Pawds Member

Local Time:
    @maid_carrie In my original post, I addressed the concern about deleting content. The add-on I suggested does not delete content, just the account - and that's all I'm asking. As to a "real nightmare of thread continuity" - I think that even if you did delete all of a users content, it wouldn't have much of an impact. Yes, there'd be some holes, but there's always new content being created to fill those gaps. Besides, the vast majority of the content here is pointless - not a knock at the site, it's just the way conversations evolve. You have to sift through a lot to get to the meaningful content.

No, I wasn't making a veiled threat. I actually like some of the people here, and I like the forum (besides which, I don't really have the skills or motivation required to do harm). I have personal reasons for seeking to eliminate my virtual presence as Pawds. It's really just a matter of unfortunate timing. I might even return in the future under a different nom de plume.

7. Wendygirl

gardener
    London
    Local Time:
    @Pawds
    My view of you has changed from what a shame to why if you think this site is pointless why you joined in the first place and why keep posting ??

As your profile is closed to members there is nothing to read and and a photo of a scraggy chicken . Not exactly a big loss to the members who do care about CM.

Regards Wendy

8. Wendygirl

gardener
    London
    Local Time:
    Can't wait for the next post !!
    Xx Wendy

9. Pawds

Pawds Member

Local Time:
    @Wendygirl Did not intend to offend. There is good content here, but there is more "filler" that meaningful information. And that's fine - it's the nature of conversation. Look at this thread. What are the salient points:

1. There is no ability for users to delete accounts
    2. There are many reasons to allow users to delete accounts
    3. It's important to maintain thread continuity when deleting accounts
    4. There's an add-on that makes this possible.
    5. Would the administrator consider adding this capability?
    Everything else is just window dressing. It doesn't help the conversation at all. And that's true of the majority of threads here. That's okay, but it's hard to argue that thread continuity is some holy grail that must be preserved.

And on that note, I wish everyone a happy, healthy, prosperous New Year.

10. Pawds

Pawds Member

Local Time:
    Well, it's been a week since I contact @Administrator with my request and not even the courtesy of a reply. I guess no answer is an answer in this case.

It does make it simple for me. I will not rejoin the forum in the future. The admin is either too busy or too inconsiderate to respond to requests. Either way, his forum, his rules, and I'm fine with that. I do think he should add a comment to the sign up that there is no ability to delete your account in the future. Of course, given his lack of reply here, I wouldn't expect him to take any action on that suggestion.

E-mail changed to a burn account. Password scrambled. I'm no longer able to login.

Best of luck to you all. Toodles.

11. lockit

lockit Advanced Member

London
    Local Time:
    Could someone please make sure he has closed the door behind him.
    Now lock it and hide the key.

maid_carrie likes this.
  12. Wendygirl

gardener
    London
    Local Time:
    No its impossible to lockit as he has burned the door or something. !

But I just thought it funny for someone who did not want a profile to keep posting rather than just let it die and get lost in some obscure corner of CM !

Xx Wendy

lockit likes this.
  13. Wendygirl

gardener
    London
    Local Time:
    It would make a fun poll thingy.
    but not sure how to attach one retrospectively.

Who was he most scared of finding out.

A His Mum
    B His wife/gf
    C His boss cause he did it on his company lap top .

Xx Wendy

paulie slave likes this.
  14. GT-CB6000

GT-CB6000 Long term member

Local Time:
    I had the same thoughts. He bad mouthed this site, but he keeps coming back. Something does not add up

15. LockedInLove

LockedInLove Active member

Local Time:
    Confusion probably leads many to CM, but I fear Pawds may have left even more confused. Shame.

LockedinLuton28 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice